1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Well-Known Member

Always, always DHL... it's like 3-5 bucks more than the standard option but gets here in 3 days as opposed to 3 weeks

EDIT: also, the standard DHL cost is for up to two ties, if you want to spread your shipping costs out [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

I would actually vote for regular mail if you can wait 3 weeks. I've never had to pay customs duty for regular mail shipments, while I always seem to be billed by DHL.

3. semperexcelsius

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with DHL customs... I've had several shipments without getting billed, and then on my last one they sent me one

4. theodoreprice

theodoreprice Member

I have always used DHL for shipment (usually two ties and a pocket square in my order) and have only received a customs charge from DHL once (out of 5 or 6 orders). The customs charge was about the same as local sales tax so no big deal and DHL just sends you a bill that you can pay online after the fact. I am way too excited about my Hober orders to wait 3 weeks!

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

DHL is always the best option as long as you are only ordering 1-2 ties. It's only a few dollars more and weeks quicker. It truly takes 3-plus weeks by regular mail. Also, there is no customs on orders under $200 in the U.S., so always safe to go with DHL on smaller orders. If placing a bigger order, the customs issue impacts the decision for some. On a recent $240 order, I think the customs bill was only $8 from DHL.

6. semperexcelsius

Ah that explains it... my last order was $200+ (and my only order that large so far), and it was the only time I got stuck with a bill (although mine was $23, not $8—that's enough to warrant ordering 2 separate orders with DHL to avoid the customs fee! [​IMG])

7. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

Good to know, thank you.

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Thanks all for that info on shipping. Will do DHL.

I'm thinking of starting with the camel/black wool herringbone. I think that will resolve to a darker brown. Is that people's experience (if you have that tie)?

9. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Well-Known Member

I realize you can order swatches but just wondering if anyone has photos of the differences between the various grey, charcoal grey and silver/grey grenadines.

Is there a consensus SF approved grey tie?

10. New Shoes1

Clags has posted pictures of this tie. I was a little unsure based on what I saw, so went with a Shibumi version.

11. TweedyProf

Why didn't you like it, @New Shoes1 ? Recent Shibumi?

@Claghorn Can you confirm that this is the tie your posted as among your most worn ties?

12. New Shoes1

Recent as in last March for the Shibumi. I recall the black dominating the color scheme too much and resolving to a very dark brown tie. @pinkpanther has a picture with a camel jacket where it looks fine, but I saw several others (including Clags' pictures) that were darker than what I wanted.

13. TweedyProf

Thanks. @New Shoes1

I actually want something dark brown as opposed to mid brown (I have a rust/copper herringbone Tie your Tie from NMWA and a rust donegal from Drake's).

14. mandrbeck

mandrbeck Well-Known Member

15. rockred819

rockred819 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  16. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Well-Known Member

I think it resolves to a fairly dark brown. Here is a pic from February.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Well-Known Member

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the bottle green grenadine grossa (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

18. semperexcelsius

That right there is a bright tie. Wow.

19. theodoreprice

theodoreprice Member

[​IMG]
    Wore this one yesterday, the powder blue grenadine grossa

[​IMG]
    and today the Macclesfield Print #274, which may be my favorite tie in my collection.

2 people like this.
  20. TweedyProf

Thanks @pinkpanther

How thick is the fabric? It seems to knot similarly to your grenadines. Did you ask David to adjust for the knot, or did you just have him cut it in your normal pattern (with same interlining, etc.).

Remind me also how wide you usually cut your ties at the front blade?

Thanks