1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Well-Known Member

3. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

I don't own the tie myself, but it looks like a nice burgundy/brown color. I don't see why it wouldn't go quite well with a mid gray suit/light blue shirt. A classic and attractive combination.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

It should go well with tan or light brown jackets though admittedly, those jackets are hard too. Brown should work as long as there is sufficient contrast with the purple. I agree on mid gray to charcoal.

5. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

I slopped food on one of my latest Hobers. Damn it. It's just a small spot off to the side, thankfully. I dabbed it gently with a lightly-dampened cloth, and then rubbed it gently with the tail of the tie. I've done this successfully to "pull" the water onto the back on several occasions.

This was a Macclesfield, though, and it's left a light spot, due to the fact that it's a print, rather than a weave, I'd imagine. Is there any way to restore my tie to its former glory?

Has anyone ever Scotch-Guarded a tie?

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

In all my years I have only gotten food or drink on a tie once, and it was a tiny little spot.

7. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

I am a man of appetites. Condensation from drinks is a constant worry.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

THE tie

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Limniscate

Limniscate Well-Known Member

Argh! I think you got the last one because I was just informed that it's out of stock after I placed my order.

10. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Well-Known Member

My go to solution for grease stains is talcum powder (or baking soda) which has done miracles. Managed to get a nice little drop of melted butter onto a light grey tie which created an obvious dark greasestain, but a little treatment of baking soda, first on it's own and then coupled with some steam pulled that thing right out so that I can't even find the spot, despite knowing where to look. Maybe the macclesfield print is different but the madder print is definitely waterproof. I sweat into my madder scarves and I wear them in the rain, no problemo.

I don't think you need to worry about condensation as it's just water. Any drop should just go into the tie and dry in short order, after which it'll be as it was, at least that's been my experience. (I tend to go for woven patterns and madder prints though, so maybe other printed patterns differ)

I don't think I'm to blame, I got mine a good while ago. Someone probably saw our discussion and figured we were right about it being an awesome tie so they went for it themselves. I suspect pinkpanther :D

11. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Well-Known Member

Getting caught up after a couple of weeks..all I can say is well done guys. Really enjoyed the write up on the silk scarves.

12. teoky

teoky Well-Known Member

That's an awesome tie!!! Too bad that it's out of stock.

If anyone is looking to sell that, please PM me [​IMG]

13. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Well-Known Member

While I do like the tie, I cannot be blamed for nabbing the last one. :)

I think David has a restock coming so do not despair.

14. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

Is this three-fold and four-in-hand? Why does the knot look so good? I always thought three-fold would make a thin knot, which I do not like.

15. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The thickness of the interlining and of the silk makes a difference, as does the width of the blade at the knot area. This thread is full of pictures of three and four fold ties that make excellent FIH knots.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

Great! I guess I must contact with David and order my first one from him.

17. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

That is a great idea. :nodding:

18. The Silverfox

It depends very much on the qualities of the silk. Like how soft is it, how much friction is there from the texture. Something that's very smooth, thin and soft is going to knot one way (usually small), because the softness and smoothness is going to make the knot easily stay tight because of the crushability of the fabric,while something that has more firmness to it is going to knot much bigger because the fabric is going to resist being compressed unlike a softer fabric. If you want full sized knots with 3-folds, go for silks that are quite firm without necessarily being stiff. So basically silks that don't necessarily have a lot of tension in the weave, but which have that supple firmness you get from thicker but loser weaves. The English Pattern silk ties (the ones I've tried) are very good for this as these fabrics tend to be quite lose due to their patterns and "satiny" finish, and quite thick due to the necessity for a lot of thread to make the two-toned patterns. I have the houndstooth ties, as well as a black and white small-checkerboard (best description I can think of), and they all have this same thick and firm, but still quite wet feel to them. One of these is in 3-fold, and it knots bigger than most of my other 6-folds do. I have them from previous iterations though, and the description of at least one of them describes this version as tightly woven with a stiff and dry finish, so this one would probably behave a bit differently.

The diamond weave pictured above is not bad either, but it's somewhat lighter and somewhat smoother than a lot of the EPTs (the one's I've tried). I have 3 of these, one in 3-fold and 2 in 6-fold and I can tell you that all of them form full sized knots. The difference though is that the knot of the 3-fold is much "airier" than that of the 6-folds. When I tie the 6-folds, I like to tie them rather tight and so when I cinch it down, it forms a dense elegantly shaped full sized knot due to all the extra silk in there, this is as you would expect with a 6-fold. When I tie the 3-fold using the same procedure, the result is initially the smaller knot you predicted because there is less fabric inside the knot. However, because of the smoothness of the surface and the supple firmness of the fabric, the knot tends to loosen over time as the fabric resists being crushed (it sort of pushes back) and so the knot actually grows while loosening. The end result is that I end up after a bit of wear with a knot that's not considerably smaller than with the identical tie in 6-fold construction, but the knot is considerably less firm. Whether or not this actually matters can be disputed, I feel like it moves around more and is more prone to loose it's shape, but I can't say that it's ever really ended up looking bad, so this might be more my imagination than a real problem anyone else would see from looking at me.

Did that make sense or am I coming across as a rambling idiot? I'm starting to feel like the tie-obsessed equivalent of John Nash when he was trying to create a mathematical algorithm describing the movements of random pigeons he saw in the park.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  19. The Silverfox

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  20. teoky

teoky Well-Known Member

Personally, I will go for the first one. The other 2 combination just don't do it for me.