1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

^ The houndstooth is a wonderful tie and I think it would probably be better for an occasion such as a wedding. The Thai rough silk ties are a bit more on the casual side of the spectrum.

2 people like this.
  2. Ennius

Ennius Well-Known Member

Gents,

Thanks for the feedback on the ties I posted.

I like the English Pattern Silk Tie #6 but its probably a bit too advanced for my wardrobe yet!

I will probably flip a coin between the (1) and (3) chocolate ties. I am attracted to the warmer version.

3. Ennius

Ennius Well-Known Member

Does Mr. Hober do wool/cashmere scarves or only silk?

4. applky

applky Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

...go for that fourth fold!

@TweedyProf A belated reply to your interesting post. My rules for grenadines are as follows:

Fina: four-fold, very lightly lined, handrolled, untipped.

Piccola and grossa: seven-fold, unlined, handrolled, untipped

This, for me, produces ties that tie excellent FIH and DFIH knots, as well as allowing for the light, airy quality of grenadine silk to be more naturally expressed. Anything heavier than a very light lining, I believe, makes grenadine seem too much like a regular, non-woven silk tie. Others will disagree, I'm sure, but there's something essentially delicate about excellent grenadine silk, like David's, that should be celebrated. This includes any "transparency," though a seventh fold tends to take care of this (and is worth the expense).

Piccola, IMO, is the best grenadine silk. It's visually interesting, but doesn't cry out for attention. As others have said, the midnight navy piccola is basically the perfect navy tie.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. hpreston

hpreston Well-Known Member

:thumbs-up:

...go for that fourth fold!

Yes, I go four for grendines, three for non-grenadine....

6. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

Houndstooth for sure. Think of the pictures you'll look at 15 years from now.

7. politico

politico Well-Known Member

That's something to consider, I just have had my eye on that rough silk for a long time. I'm not having a super formal wedding (it's hindu), but you're right, the houndstooth will look better in pictures than a bright blue rough silk.

That being said, I'm getting both, because that Ocean Blue Rough Silk looks awesome and I just want it. Maybe I'll wear it to someone else's spring time wedding.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the good ol' "iffy fiance" excuse to buy an extra tie.
    Don't worry buddy, we support you.

But as others have said, the houndstooth is more formal and will look better in pictures looking back, and if it's a color that looks good on you, it's great to have two distinctly different variants in the same general color-scheme.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  9. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Well-Known Member

Well... that's fair enough, but I think you imagine the EPT6 to be more advanced than it is. The thing is that a tie like that will at a distance blend together and just look like solid metalic-looking mid-brown. So it doesn't end up looking "cluttery", but when you get close you see the details on it and it keeps it interesting, which makes it perfect for use in very very simple combinations that might otherwise become a touch boring. So from afar you get that simplistic elegance, but close up the tie has enough going on that I don't feel the need to add much in terms of patterns in shirts or suits. When I wear mine, it's with a solid white shirt and either a solid or subtly striped suit in grey or blue.

Of course, if you love patterned shirts and suits and rarely wear solids (or very subtle patterns) then it becomes a lot more work to successfully wear this type of tie without getting a pattern-clash, in which case it might indeed be too advanced as you say. It's also more formal than the grenadines. With a suit I feel this makes little difference, but it's more difficult to pull off with odd jackets and trousers than a grenadine would be.

10. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Anyone placed an order in the last few days and can comment on the email delay? I made an order over 48 hours ago and am still waiting on the "Thank-you for your order and notes; we're all set" email, which usually comes almost immediately from David. I don't want to hassle him during this busy period as they move into their new workshop (congrats on that to Hober and Co., by the way), but would like to know my order was received successfully and is being worked on. :embar:

11. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

I had the same issue. I sent another email today and got a quick response from David apologising for the delay and saying that due to the move there is a little backlog of emails and orders to respond to. I'd say give them a couple more days. If it was any other small online business than Sam Hober a 2-3 day delay would be par for the course.

12. Flyswatter

Agreed. David spoils us with his usual lightning quick email replies--to the point that a "delay" of just a day or two seems so very abnormal. ;) But in fact, he saw my post in this thread and contacted me; thank-you, David!

Glad to hear things seem to be going well with the construction. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Well-Known Member

Today's Hober is the Macclesfield #100 (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

Nice PP! Haven't seen that one in a while. Worn Hobers all week, but too busy to post. Here's a quick repeat of one of the new wools. Love brown ties.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

That's a nice tie - and combo. You paired stripes with stripes, but did it in a proper way.

1 person likes this.
  16. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Nice tie.

You make a good case for getting the Macclesfields in 6 fold.

2 people like this.
  17. MGD83

MGD83 Well-Known Member

Does Sam Hober do knit ties as well? I didn't see the option on the website of maybe I am misreading the information.

18. Flyswatter

No knits, but David has hinted at possibly doing them in the future. I hope they do! Would like to see some striped shantungs, too.

19. Todd V

Todd V Well-Known Member

Shantung would great. I'd like to order some in my preferred length.

20. Tenis3433

Tenis3433 Member

Salmon Diamond Weave Silk Tie #17
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.