1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

This, to me, is a very legitimate (and practical) reason for going 6 fold, and I agree that some fabrics in 3-fold construction do have a knot-slip tendency.

1 person likes this.
  2. PoorWalt

PoorWalt New Member

Happy to be making my first ever SF post under these circumstances. Just received these two beauties today, my firsts from Hober. No frills as they're just the standard 3-fold construction, but I'm looking forward to exploring what they have to offer in the future. I'll also add my two cents as to whether the knots tend to slip after I've had an opportunity to wear them.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Nice ties. Keep in mind that many fabrics - in 3 fold construction - will not slip. Moreover, even those fabrics that do slip can be dealt with by tying a tighter knot.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tenis3433

Tenis3433 Member

Any 5'5" tall guys here? what length are you ordering? I'm thinking 55-56" for the four in hand knot.

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

^ I'm 5ft7 and the 56 inch length is perfect for me. At 5ft5 you may want to go down to 55 inches. That said, I feel obligated to note that height alone does not tell you everything you need to know about tie length. If you have a relatively long torso, you may need a tie that is a bit longer than the average person your height would get (vice versa if your legs are longer and torso shorter). The best way is to find a tie that fits you fairly well, measure the length and make adjustments. David has a helpful guide for determining tie length on his website and is generally very helpful via email as well. Also, if you are really concerned about the precise length, only get one tie to start and make adjustments going forward.

2 people like this.
  6. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Well-Known Member

at 5-6 , I opted for 55 in for Grenadines (factor stretching) and 55.65 in for others

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  7. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Well-Known Member

Welcome to the thread and, more importantly to Hober ties. :nodding: I also like that your first post included pics! :slayer: Is the striped tie the reppe silk #59? Finally, all Hobers have "frills" because they are excellent ties no matter how many folds. Congrats!

8. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to go with archibald here and say that height is not a good determinant. Torso length can vary among guys with the same height, as will neck-size, size of chest, size of belly, rise of the trousers etc etc. What you want is something long enough to go from the top of your trousers, up your belly and chest, around your neck and back down, and no part of that journey is a straight line. Even if you wear the same kind of trousers and have the same torso length as someone else, if your neck has an inch more in circumference you need an inch longer tie. If your chest/belly protrudes more, you need a longer tie to make the slightly longer roundabout way from neck to trousers, if your posture is more arched (peacock-mode) you need it still longer etc etc. Trying to accurately "figure" it out is a lot more time consuming than just measuring.

The best tip is to tie your favorite tie with the wide end reaching where you want it to reach when you stand as you usually do, then just measure how much the thin end comes up short (from where you want it, personally I like them the same length) and add that measurement to the length of the tie when you measure it afterwords, and the result should be the tie length you need.

2 people like this.
  9. PoorWalt

PoorWalt New Member

The striped tie is indeed the reppe silk #59.

And after tying one on this morning, I agree that all Hober ties do have frills.

1 person likes this.
  10. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is the black & burgundy herringbone wool (3-fold construction). Saw Claghorn's pic of this last month and had to have it. He wears it better but I really like having it in my collection. I am beginning to really like wool ties.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

Love that tie! Did you get the brown one too?

1 person likes this.
  12. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

Just had that one arrive in the mail with it's camel twin. I was amazed at how soft they are!

1 person likes this.
  13. pinkpanther

:nodding:

1 person likes this.
  14. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Received my order of 5 SH grenadines today. Mind. Blown.

I'm especially impressed with two, to me very important details:
    1. The firm knot. It holds up without slipping down the collar rendering a collar gap. Priceless.
    2. The amazing arch the area around the knot the tie generates. You can practically make the tie stand in a horizontal line parallell to the floor because of its firm construction. Amazing.

And David have been great to deal with. I'm truly addicted to SH ties. Am going to place an order on 5 or 6 new ties tomorrow.

One of the grenadines I purchased was a Bitter Chocolate Prometeo. I changed my mind about this while the order was on its way to me. So the Prometeo is up for sale at the market place at a discounted price incl. ww-shipping if someone is interested.

Btw, I think David should consider making a pocket square out of the map that is decorating the box in which the ties are delivered inside.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    3 people like this.
  15. The Silverfox

Best idea ever. The graphics on the box are wonderful, to have that in a PS would be really fantastic.

In fact, I think I suggested they use a faded version of the map as like a watermark/background on the site (like Drake's London) some time ago when discussing the site with David because that map really is fantastic, but your idea of using it for a pocket square is much better by far.

I'd certainly buy that PS.

1 person likes this.
  16. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

17. The Silverfox

I'm not sure if herringbone with herringbone is really kosher, but that is one fantastic tie.
    It might even been one of the best wool ties I've seen thus far.

The combination of wool material with solids in earthy colors is wonderful, and the texture-pattern from the herringbone weave just puts it over the top.

I seriously need to stay away from this thread for a while, this is going to get very expensive if I keep hanging around.

Edit:
    Are there any pics of the camel one floating about?

1 person likes this.
  18. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

I would, too. David might have to punch up the blue just a tad (I keep a box under my desk at work for discussions such as these [​IMG]) but it is a great graphic.

1 person likes this.
  19. The Silverfox

Imagine if they got the printers who do the Madder silks to do it. How cool would that map look with the warm earthy browns and the deep rich blues of the madder silks, and all of it on top of that madder lustre.

It'd probably be very practical too, as the colors are grouped together, so if your outfit called for a PS with blue in it, you could fold it to show the ocean areas, whereas if you needed earthy browns and beige you could display the area in the top left etc. So whereas with most squares you get a single design suitable with one set of complimentary colors, with a design like this you get maybe 3-5 depending on which area of it you show.

20. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

I'm in for this special edition!