1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

2. OyezDC

OyezDC Well-Known Member

David's ties and service are simply wonderful, and he is an absolute gentleman. I can't wait for more photos in this thread and will try to post my own.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Lets not neglect all the info he posts on the fora

4. nhannon

nhannon Well-Known Member

David is a pleasure to deal with. I have my first Sam Hober tie on it's way right now (a lined 6-fold brown pin-dot macclesfield). I'll post a photo when it arrives.

That Bitter Chocolate Grenadine is sharp looking.

5. IronRock

IronRock Well-Known Member

Another massive thumbs up to David. Proper gent, even called me to tell me order had been placed, and again when it was dispatched (same time zone-ish).

Highly recommended.

6. TheCav

TheCav Member

Also for me first order, 2 grenadine garza grossa (dark brown and royal blue)...one month wait!

7. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

Here's another suggestion to always get swatches. Swatches were a tremendous help when I got my midnight blue garza grossa tie. I got swatches of black, midnight blue, dark navy and navy to see which of the three navies I wanted. I got the black for comparison. Get swatches of the colour you think you want and swatches of a few similar ones. It will extend the wait time the amount of time it takes to get the swatches, but it helps so much to know what you are getting. Also consider ordering swatches if you want something different for tipping. I tipped my midnight blue tie in dark blue shot Thai silk and it looks beautiful. Though I didn't order a swatch and the shot silk tipping was a last-minute decision, I'd recommend you have a tipping swatch to compare up against the actual fabric. David Hober has so many wonderful silks that a unique tipping can really make your tie special. The only thing I'd avoid in tipping is another competing, woven texture (unless it's the same texture as the tie). I wish I was able to afford more ties from David, because no other ties are as perfect as his!

8. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
  9. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Paisley madders by Hober:

[​IMG]

these are THE paisley ties - the colours and fabrics are deep and rich

10. PITAronin

PITAronin Well-Known Member

In that vein (though it's not really the season, at least in this hemisphere) don't forget the paisley madder scarves. Absolutely stunning, though, to be mildly critical, they'd be even better with fringe - a situation that may have changed or may at least be an option since the time that I acquired my 'naked' version a year or so ago.

11. Getzione

Getzione Well-Known Member

my fave hober post yet. price? David?

PM'ed.

details on the tie (exact measurements/bespoke request, etc), more photos please, and do you have any others by Hober? This is great looking!

Ill see what pictures I can find of the other ones. Regarding the measurments, im actually not sure. Its 8,5cm x 150cm, but I dont remember the rest. Hobers keeps them on record, so I dont have to.

Getzione,

Your photography is very creative, it makes your tie come alive. Is photography one of your hobbies?

Thank you, David. Heh, not at all, though. These where taken with my phone while I was curiously looking at the details of the tie just after i received it.

12. nhannon

Lined 6-fold construction with MCT-34 8cm x 59" (I copied my Drake's ties specs) I chose the Express shipping option and received my tie 4 days after hearing from David that it had shipped. It's a phenomenal tie. It feels like it weighs about 5 lbs with all the silk. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

^ the above keeper is awesome, as is the no label from manufacturer!

14. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Well-Known Member

I have to say, I was a bit skeptical at first about the quality of construction of the Hober ties. I mean, the site is a bit disorganized and it didn't look like a quality operation.

How wrong I was. The ties are amazingly constructed, and the hand detailing, particularly the rolled edges, trumps the Borrelli ties I've seen and is at least as good as my Hermes ties. I'm planning another order soon and am pouring over my swatches in anticipation.

15. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Well-Known Member

Lined 6-fold construction with MCT-34

8cm x 59" (I copied my Drake's ties specs)

I chose the Express shipping option and received my tie 4 days after hearing from David that it had shipped.

It's a phenomenal tie. It feels like it weighs about 5 lbs with all the silk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fantastic but you are yet another poster who shows us the back of the ties with hand-rolled edges but not the front. Can we see the big blade from the front?

16. nhannon

Fantastic but you are yet another poster who shows us the back of the ties with hand-rolled edges but not the front. Can we see the big blade from the front?

I actually went with the self-tipping rather than rolled edges. I believe the backside of this fabric is solid brown like this: http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield...square-34.html.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the iPhone photos.

17. nhannon

^ the above keeper is awesome, as is the no label from manufacturer!
    You can see four marks just below the keeper where the tag originally was. It was meant as no disrespect to David, I remove the tags from all of my ties, and most of my clothing in general. I would request that they don't add a tag to any future ties, of which there will be many. I was extremely pleased with the entire process. I also have 2 Carlo Riva pocket squares on their way, ordered after seeing voxsartoria's post. I opted for the powder blue gingham and solid white linen.

18. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

What's the general consensus on grenadine garza grossa vs fina? Which looks better? Which is more classic? Formal?

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

What's the general consensus on grenadine garza grossa vs fina? Which looks better? Which is more classic? Formal?

I feel garza fina is more formal, but YMMV.

20. guest

guest Well-Known Member

mr. hober can customers from thailand actually drop by to place an order or to help us pick out a tie better suited for us? like the way we tie it, or color, width, etc...