1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Nice haul! The bright colors aren't for me but I can appreciate where you're coming from. Since you ordered grenadine swatches, do you by chance have the navy fina #10 and midnight blue piccola #7? I have a navy fina tie but just curious how the midnight piccola compares. The website states they are "close but slightly different."

2. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Well-Known Member

As you might imagine Flyswatter I do have those swatches...

[​IMG]

They are indeed very close. The piccola might be slightly darker. Hope this helps.

3. Todd V

Todd V Well-Known Member

I went with navy which has slightly more of an indigo quality than the midnight which is slightly more like a true navy blue to my eyes. I wish I had done the midnight, looking back on it.

4. sftiger

sftiger Well-Known Member

Just so I'm getting this straight - do you have so many ties that you only need to repeat wearings every six months? And doing so is such an embarrassing occurrence that you feel the need to proactively point out that this tie was worn once by you once, half a year ago, lest we all cast judgment?

If so:

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. pinkpanther

To my eyes they are essentially identical. I have the navy fina #10 and have no remorse at all, it is a fantastic tie. [​IMG]

6. pinkpanther

Yes [​IMG] and yes [​IMG].

1 person likes this.
  7. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Impressive stuff, iGents.

PP, I can't imagine having that many ties. I was having a hard time dealing with the 90 or so I had. I am down to a respectable 58.

1 person likes this.
  8. pinkpanther

I certainly can't argue that the number of ties I have is reasonable. However, I take no personal responsibility for that, I lay the blame squarely at Mr. Hober's feet. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Flyswatter

Thanks, PP! This definitely helps and is exactly what I was looking for.

Are you talking about the navy fina and midnight blue fina? If so, the midnight blue fina is definitely much darker. The swatch comparison above, however, is with the midnight blue piccola, which seems to be only slightly darker than the navy fina but not as dark as the midnight blue fina, if you follow me.

The midnight piccola seems to be just the shade I'm looking for. I've always thought the navy fina was a bit on the light side, and the midnight fina too dark.

Options options, so many options. I should probably just order swatches but I think I've got it figured out. I don't doubt for a second David's claim that they have the world's largest selection of solid grenadine fabrics. Counting "slate blue", Hober offers twelve different shades of navy grenadines among the various weaves. Used to be even more until it was discovered there was basically no discernible difference between "navy" and "dark navy" finas, so the latter was done away with.

1 person likes this.
  10. karwoski

karwoski Active Member

Cashmere status update - looks like we'll have quite a few options over the next few months:

Quote: And all this in addition to the challis already in stock!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    3 people like this.
  11. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the midnight blue w/off-white stripe grenadine grossa (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

^^ love it!

1 person likes this.
  13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Since we are discussing blues .....

These came in a number of days ago and I am quite happy with them. I had some back and forth with David about a number of different ties in "midnight blue." The one I settled on is perfect. And David is right: "midnight blue is almost black."

EDIT: The links will take you to nowhere (I just tried them). Since I got the last one in each style, they have apparently been removed from the website, at least for now.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. pinkpanther

Pics perhaps? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Flyswatter

Question for you guys who have owned Hober grenadines for a few years with dozens of wears.. have you experienced any stretch in length beyond what was initially specified? If so, how much?

16. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

Fly, I haven't measured them to see the exact stretch, but I know mine have. When I cross the blades to start the knot, they fall at different lengths than they did or my others do. So I know they have stretched some.

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

New Hober on its maiden voyage.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. calidist

calidist Well-Known Member

I have a feeling this is going to become a SF favorite.

19. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

Great look arch. I hope that fabric stays long enough for me to combine it with an order of the new wool/cashmere ties.

20. pinkpanther

Very nice archibaldleach!

It is my favorite Hober stripe, but probably has too much red in it to become an SF favorite. [​IMG]

Don't wait and live in regret. I'm sure you can find another one or two Hobers that you "need" to combine an order with now...[​IMG]

2 people like this.