• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Enthusiasm

Reaction score
Thank you very much, now I just have to order that plaid!

Must be new Hober day. New arrivals: Macclesfield #121, Carbon Black grenadine piccolo, and Royal Fusiliers Regimental #3. If you're looking for a burgundy tie, check out Macclesfield #121. And the red in the regimental is more wine colored than I was able to capture.

And for those who were curious about English Plaid #9 (it's not shiny):

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I own both. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the bitter chocolate. You can't go wrong with either.

same here.

coolron

Reaction score
Thank you for the input guys. Hober has made the choice easier for me with the bitter chocolate grossa being out of stock.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, David is really cutting down on order fulfillment time! Latest update says an average of 3 days to make the ties plus shipping. This is down from the 12 days or so that it's been for many months. Kudos to David and company. Sounds like they are really becoming efficient and have the means to hire more help. This means one could feasibly order some Hober ties, select DHL shipping, and have the goods in hand within a week! :bounce2:

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is the Macclesfield #102 (6-fold construction). I posted a pic of this tie a few months back but this is a better photo.

Last edited:

Zarium

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a bitter chocolate piccola grenadine. I think I'll get hand-rolled edges, but is the $40 premium for a six-fold really worth it?

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a bitter chocolate piccola grenadine. I think I'll get hand-rolled edges, but is the $40 premium for a six-fold really worth it?

Not sure the question is answerable...

I have a couple of David's grenadines in standard fold (ie, 4-fold), but the vast majority are in 6-fold. Both constructions are excellent but I like the weight of the 6-fold a little better and for me the extra $$ is worth it. I can easily see that it may not be worth it to others though.

When I started down the Hober journey I ordered one of each construction and decided the 6-fold was good for me. I still wear the 4-folds that I have with joy.

Don't get too wrapped up in the decision, the important thing is to select what you want, order it and then get it around your neck as soon as possible. You won't be disappointed either way.

coolron

Reaction score
I was about to order and the burgundy and bitter chocolate grossas ran out. Would a fina or prometeo bitter chocolate be more versatile? Or should I just wait for the grossas to be restocked? Any clue how long it would take?

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was about to order and the burgundy and bitter chocolate grossas ran out. Would a fina or prometeo bitter chocolate be more versatile? Or should I just wait for the grossas to be restocked? Any clue how long it would take?

I don't think that any particular grenadine weave is more versatile than another. It's really just a matter of personal preference. I prefer the finer weaves, but you can't go wrong with any of them. As for restocks, there is a note on the upper left sidebar on the Hober website that says grenadine restocks are coming early July. Whether or not the burgundy and bitter chocolate grossas will be part of that restock, I can't say. I suggest sending an email directly to David. He is very prompt and helpful with his replies. :)

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Opinions regarding weaves will vary, but IMO one weave is not more versatile than another, it is a matter of personal preference.

Wrt timing of the restock, just email David and ask. He is great to work with and very prompt with his answers.

Happy shopping!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads