1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A&S

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Oct 30, 2009.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

The coat reference is G4701. Now stop giving me a hard time ... Piobaire has done plenty of that today.

If you are going to continue, please give me time to get a drink ... or rather another drink.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. F. Corbera

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I can say this. John measured and handled all the fittings. All my communications were with John. Even my one repremand* was administered by John.

* Happened the time I arrived to discover someone had told him that I'd given them permission to photograph my clothing ... on premisis. To this day I have no idea who that was.

As for using A&S, I haven't been back since the double breasted made up in 'Manton's Cloth.' Hint: 30642

I'm waiting with bated breath. Then again, we had prawns tonight ... so perhaps that should be baited breath.

5. F. Corbera

6. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

11.5 oz Lesser dark blue flannel with a grey windowpane?

7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

BINGO! But rather than grey ... I just say 'chalky windowpane.'

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Interesting to hear about the softening as I can tell that my recent Steed jacket is doing the same thing. It's borderline a touch snug in parts of the shoulder/armhole areas, but by the end of the day it seems to have molded to my body. Hopefully soon it will feel that way first thing in the morning as well. I look forward to following its development. The garments I've had made in Hong Kong don't seem to mold as much (granted they fit great right from the beginning so no worries there).

9. DutchDaedalus

DutchDaedalus Well-Known Member

Graydon Carter, editor of Vanity Fair uses A&S.

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/cut-from-the-same-cloth/

More pictures: http://www.zimbio.com/Graydon+Carter/pictures/pro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  10. greger

greger Well-Known Member

As far back as the eary sixties I've heard of 3-4 month setting time for the coat to settle into shape and then needs a one time "Tune Up". So that is nothing new, and goes way back further than that, because he was an old tailor here in the North West US. Thomas Mahon wrote about the waiting period, too, saying the cloth is fluid (not the first time I heard that, either). Those who use it for an excuse for bad tailoring should be avoided. After a real "Tune Up" the problems should be gone, otherwise they never finished firtting the garment before they let it out the door.