1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

a quick question for young professionals/ aspiring professionals

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by fossil8412, Jul 14, 2010.

1. v.freeman

v.freeman Well-Known Member

And how is that exactly entitlement? You think that when there are 200 candidates for 1 position, it's all about your preparation?

Newsflash: there are several hundreds of people that worked out where they wanted to go all through out high school, undergraduate, post-grad work experience and MBA only to arrive at the wrong time.

Seems like the definition of luck to me.

Also, your own personal anecdote of "preparation" seems pretty weak to me. Going over a company's website? That's the minimum anyone should be doing nowadays.

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

enjoy that mentality, I'm sure it will work out well for you and pay dividends long into your future [​IMG]

3. v.freeman

It has already. I don't have to work in PR.

4. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

god you sound like a douche.

5. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Also, your own personal anecdote of "preparation" seems pretty weak to me. Going over a company's website? That's the minimum anyone should be doing nowadays.
    nowadays yup. But it was pretty ahead of its time 13 yrs ago tho....and it wasnt an anecdote of preparedness anyhow, it was an anecdote about people erring on the side of caution in interviews. Taking on the managing director, board chairman and general manager in your interview, when you are some fresh grad with no experience...that takes more balls than most people have. I guess I was just lucky. lol.

6. v.freeman

I can definitely understand that. My view may be skewed from experiencing hyper-competitiveness, but I don't think it's necessarily the right idea to say just because someone doesn't get an offer that you should attribute it to lack of hustle and preparation. My apologies for coming across as a douche.

7. pseudonym

pseudonym Well-Known Member

Lots of effort and some dumb luck -- as a sophomore, I emailed dozens of people in the industry in which I was interested, and one happened to have an opening in his group because an employee had just quit. I got hired for the summer, asked back for the next, and then was offered a full-time job.

This seems like what I have to do this upcoming semester as a college sophomore.

I'm assuming they'll (the people I contact) already assume I don't know much about their respective fields, so how do I go about contacting them in an appropriate manner?

PS - By that^, I mean how do I not make it 120% obvious I want a job/internship?

8. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

This seems like what I have to do this upcoming semester as a college sophomore.

I'm assuming they'll (the people I contact) already assume I don't know much about their respective fields, so how do I go about contacting them in an appropriate manner?

PS - By that^, I mean how do I not make it 120% obvious I want a job/internship?

If I were you, I would go back and read my first post in the thread...it's the best advice I've got on that...get out and among kiddo...speaking as an employer, we ALWAYS notice the incredibly few students who make that effort, and we pretty much always ignore the literally hundreds of CVs the come in when we advertise or when we make an internship availability known.

9. kakemono

kakemono Well-Known Member

I had an engineering job waiting for me upon graduation.

I interned and blew them away. I got the intern job just from a college job fair though. My roommate had worked in their shop through high school wiring panels and was interning so he suggested I talk to them.