• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Proper Trench

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I understand the need point, I disagree on the physique point, I think trenches are naturally unflattering and crappy looking. I look forward to PB proving me wrong.

Look forward to being disappointed I'm sure. The girlfriend is excited for me to unleash the full on, Dale Cooper...

7q8kb.png

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, the traditional trench made by Burberry that I ordered was originally made for British soldiers during WWI. This model has no epaulets, it has raglan sleeves. I think epaulets might have come up on later models.

All in all, I like the traditional look of the Burberry, especially the back. There is something charming about the fuller coat with the belt tied around the waist in the rain. I am not that picky about the fit of it as it is just going to be worn purely for function. This is one of my reasonings for not going bespoke.

Ennius

Reaction score
That Uniqlo one is only $130 and was on sale for $40 (but all out).

Not a bad beater option if one is on a tight budget...

Could someone explain the functional differences between Mactintosh coats the the full on trench? The modern Burberry's start to look almost like Macs....

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A mac is a very rigid super water proof material. A trench is just a tight gaberdine cotton.

Ennius

Reaction score
PB-

Thanks. So when I think about needs, say (1) cold rain - 35 degrees and (2) warm humid rain - 75 degrees, which works better for each situation?

The lined Burberry could be better for both (1) and (2)? just take the lining out for (2)? What use does that leave for the Mac? Less formal?

The Uniqlo trench looks pretty short so you probably wouldnt have liked it, though for $40 bucks I can adjust my tastes a bit

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
O'Connels called. They only have my size in green. Back to square one.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

PB-

Thanks.  So when I think about needs, say (1) cold rain - 35 degrees and (2) warm humid rain - 75 degrees, which works better for each situation?

The lined Burberry could be better for both (1) and (2)?  just take the lining out for (2)?  What use does that leave for the Mac?  Less formal?

The Uniqlo trench looks pretty short so you probably wouldnt have liked it, though for $40 bucks I can adjust my tastes a bit

I don't know about formality and Mac, but even in freezing rain I sweat like a dirty guinea so a Mac is out of the question for me. I wear heavier fabric suits in the winter anyway.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We may have to agree to disagree on that which looks dated or old-mannish. My idea of the perfect trench coat is the Burberry or Aquascutum that is made of gabardine, double breasted with epaulets and of a length to just below the knee, not forgetting the belt with the hand grenade hoops and a nice fedora to top things off. Now some may regard this look as somewhat theatrical or dated but it is striking and draws attention; the right kind of attention. I receive nothing but compliments. I have fun wearing it and anyone around me seems to enjoy what they see. What is not to like?
In fairness, I do own a Mack as well but wear it in warmer srping-fall weather. My trench I wear just above or below freezing. Both are useful and serve well.

You're displaying all the warnings signs...

EriQ009

Reaction score
I have a trench, but am contemplating a Mac just for variety.

The trench is surprisingly versatile. Quite warm with the wool inner liner and a few layers when it is very cold. Remove the liner and it's the perfect springtime piece.

PB-

Thanks.  So when I think about needs, say (1) cold rain - 35 degrees and (2) warm humid rain - 75 degrees, which works better for each situation?

The lined Burberry could be better for both (1) and (2)?  just take the lining out for (2)?  What use does that leave for the Mac?  Less formal?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We may have to agree to disagree on that which looks dated or old-mannish. My idea of the perfect trench coat is the Burberry or Aquascutum that is made of gabardine, double breasted with epaulets and of a length to just below the knee, not forgetting the belt with the hand grenade hoops and a nice fedora to top things off. Now some may regard this look as somewhat theatrical or dated but it is striking and draws attention; the right kind of attention. I receive nothing but compliments. I have fun wearing it and anyone around me seems to enjoy what they see. What is not to like?
In fairness, I do own a Mack as well but wear it in warmer srping-fall weather. My trench I wear just above or below freezing. Both are useful and serve well.

[COLOR=FF00AA]You're displaying all the warnings signs..[/COLOR].

To your way of thinking perhaps but consider this; 98% of men today do not understand clothing, its history or applications. We either follow the sheep or we lead and teach. I choose to lead, and though most men will not outrightly admit it, they, at the very sight of me in my trench or other clothing, are filled with a sense of awe and wonder and secretly wish they had the balls to dress as I do. It rouses something within them and that is their alpha chi. Both men and women are irresistably attracted to my man essence and wish to drink from my well. Only a handful of them will ever awaken their giant within and be free of their own inhibitions. For those who do prevail, they will forever thank me and those like me, who led them to freedom. You only live once. Far too many people have become their own jailors and have either forgotten or have never known how to live well. The trench coat will never die as long as there are men (and women) to wear them.
:teach:

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
I was in the area today somi stopped by Bloomies and the Burberry part. They told me they a sale on their trenchs so the full length trench went from 14000 to under 800. But nothing was left.

FCUK!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went to every Burberry I could, their "full length" coats aren't all that full length. I asked them to make me one longer and they told me no.

Yesterday I went to Bergdorf, Barney's, bloomies, brooks, Paul Stuart, j press, cenci, Armani, ysl, Loro Piana. Nobody has a long trench. I searched eBay today and it seems that the only truly long trenches are vintage. It feels wrong to look at ebay, but what can I do?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads