1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A Proper Trench

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Feb 27, 2013.

1. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Well-Known Member

Good thread. I just realized how much more affordable the Brooks Brothers trench (womens) is at ($398) compared to Burberry. Now I need to convince my fiance she doesn't need the Burberry. Burberry didn't quite fit her right OTR. Even if BB doesn't quite fit perfectly there's plenty of budget left for good alterations.

We got a wedding to pay for...

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Well if you are buying something new they are all short. Impossible to find a proper long trench other than vintage unfortunately.

3. mjd

mjd Well-Known Member

If she's game, eBay is an great place to get Burberry trenches for great prices. That's where I got mine. Under $200, brand new.

4. mjd

mjd Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I will say that after being out in a week of heavy rain, the full length below the knee trench was fantastic.

5. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I know you are not lying but I find this impossible to believe. It is a raincoat - why wouldn't people want it to be long?

6. smoothmoose

Both my fiance and I have proportionally shorter legs. I know she preferred the shorter cut Burberry to the longer one she tried at the shop. I myself quite fancy my shorter trench as well which just a tad longer than my suit jackets. Style over function, I guess....isn't that the moniker of this board???

7. smoothmoose

Good point, though I already spend way too much time on this forum as does she on other fashion sites. I think we can do without scouring around too much on eBay (just did a quick search and didn't find something in her size). That said, $200 is definitely a good savings for Burberry even if gently preowned.

8. patrickBOOTH

It's not in "fashion"

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

10. patrickBOOTH

I agree with pretty much all of that Holdfast. Like I mentioned earlier when I went into Burberry and tried on some of their models, one was close but they said they discontinued making a "Long" and only make regulars, whih is annoying. They suggested just sizing up to get the length I needed but in doing so it looked horrible. I asked them to check to see if I can get a custom one in my chest size but sleeves and hem the proper length and they said they couldn't do it. By, "custom" they said they can only change colors, and buttons and such. Very disappointing.

11. williamson

williamson Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope NOT!
    Fashion is often the enemy of practicality; but it occasionally makes a right turning.
    I'm sure many more men would - but how do we get that over to the manufacturers? There are some tall, slim men out there, after all! Earlier posters write as if they overcome this problem by buying vintage, but that will never be the answer that everyone favours.

12. Ennius

Ennius Well-Known Member

I confess to preferring the short slim style, though they arent very practicle for serious rain. Now that I have a knee length khaki trench, I am waiting for big sale on Black Fleece navy one that is short - as my fashion one.

Though the hard driving rain in NYC last night reminded me of value of long trench over style at key times!

13. Coburn

Coburn Well-Known Member

14. smoothmoose

FYI for lurkers following this thread, Brooks Brother's annual 50% sale is on right now. And both men's and women's trench coats are on sale. The women's is 50% off at $199. Now if I can only convince the fiance to give it try. Her heart is still pretty set on Burberry even though the fit wasn't that great when she tried. I think at $199 we can spend as much as she needs on tailoring to get the perfect fit...

...I know the wiser men here and around the world might advise me to better pick my battles...and maybe this is a battle I can't win. But I already agreed to increase the budget on our wedding bands...what is a man to do?...

15. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

The Real Thing:

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/product.php?productid=20348&cat=263&page=2

http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/mens-coats/374/

My Dad had one in grey wool gabardine which was water repellant. It was part of his World War 2 officers uniform.
    You don't see these anymore AFAIK, but they were a great alternative to the traditional cotton/cotton blend options
    available today.

16. patrickBOOTH

Oconnell's only a had a green one in my size and they don't make the "real thing" anymore to order more.

17. Coburn

Coburn Well-Known Member