1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Preemo

Preemo Active Member

Hi

someone knows if A.P.C has released a black raw pair of rescue model in the past ?

txs

2. dimanchey

dimanchey Member

Hey guys just been reading through and wanted a quick opinion. I just got some PNS in a 30" waist. I normally wear a 31/32 in other brands but thought id size down. Been wearing them this afternoon and not sure if they are too tight and should go up a size, also this cardboard feel is making me think they wont give much but I guess they will ?? They button up full but are pretty uncomfortable walking around/sitting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Juhdis

Juhdis Member

Hey man!

I had this dilemma in May and personally the best advice (in my opinion) on here is post #13472 by cute melon - try the jeans in a size you would want them to end up fitting like and size down one, I wish I did that but it worked out in the end that I got the right size because of gut feel.

From your pics they look alright, but I think it's hard to tell from photos.

I bought PNS 33s (because of vanity sizing they actually measured at 34in) and within 2 weeks they became PNS 35s (measured 36in). They didn't feel like they stretched that much because they still had the cardboard feel. I'm just over two months of wear and I haven't noticed the waist stretching to make them too baggy but then again I wear a belt (because I don't like the creases in the waist band :| ).

The top block/seat area as a whole gets more comfortable (i.e. less cardboard-y) but I don't think it stretches so much that it's a noticeable difference or that they will fall down without a belt; I still feel mine to be a little restrictive sometimes.

Ultimately, if the top block/seat is uncomfortably tight, I think it might be the wrong size.

4. Juhdis

Juhdis Member

Hey! Sorry I've just seen this.

I went with 33s, I was a bit worried about my perception of tightness and sizing down so I thought I wouldn't risk it. Overall, I think it worked out. They are pretty comfortable and they stretched out as others said, exactly 2 inches in the waist but they also stretched just over an inch around the knees.

In my opinion, it's about how they fit around the top block/seat area rather than worrying about the waist because I don't feel like that's changed much, not enough to have warranted the 32s for me. I think the 32s might have been just slightly too tight after wear in the top block/seat area regardless of the waist.

The 33s are legit, I've been hiking in these, worn them consistently everyday 12 hours plus and they feel comfortable. Also, they are coming along quite nicely with whiskers, honeycombs, phone and wallet outlines too.

5. cutemelon

cutemelon Well-Known Member

hey guys and @dimanchey
    I have a pair Ive been wearing for over 3 years now and a new pair Ive been wearing for about a month, Ive sold a pair wore for a year before as well. I still stick with what i said of sizing down one from a pair that fits the way you like brand new. @Juhdis

as for the cardboard feel that will go away in time. My 3 year pair is very comfortable and soft. The feel should give away completely after a couple months. Comparing them next to my newer pair, its pretty cool to see how different they are. My gf doesn't believe my 3 year pair looked like the new pair.

I used to wear the PNS in size 28 but ive gotten fatter over the years and my newest pair is a size 29. (i liked the 30 fit and sized down one) but i found the legs opening too big so i had them altered knee down.
    I know this means they are not the original cut, but i believe the most important aspect of denim fit is the top block.

@dimanchey your pair looks fine. If you can button them up they will give a bit and stretch to comfortable levels. My size 28s increased 2 waist sizes and when I first bought them they almost didnt button up all the way. They will 100% stretch with wear

http://imgur.com/a/E4qub
    here is an album of mine at 16 months after their first wash. theyve been washed more now and look lighter and much nicer imo, but I havn't taken a picture but I should when I get a change and don't feel so lazy. I would say the color is now between the first album and this pair of washed John Elliotts I am selling https://*****************/listings/816794-John-Elliott---Co-Cast-Coast-Denim (using this to advertise my sales)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  6. dimanchey

dimanchey Member

@cutemelon and @Juhdis thanks this is very good advice. Unfortunately I took them back and swapped for a pair of PNS stretch in a 31 - which I have been wearing for a couple days and they are way too big now ;(((

Although they have a pretty noticeable twist in the leg beneath the knee so the denim warps around my leg which I dont like at all, do you think this is enough for a retail APC store to return them? I still have the receipt - want to swap them back to the 30 PNS haha

Anyway all works out somehow.

7. cutemelon

don't have any experience with stretch. But as for your returns question, your best bet is to go to the store and try.

2 people like this.
  8. willis88

willis88 Well-Known Member

I ordered a pair of New Standards in a 28 (my natural waist is about 30/31" and usual jeans size is 28), and they fit pretty perfect and look exactly how i want them to. Problem is they feel like a normal pair of jeans in top block but just a tad tighter in the waist, although i can button up no problem.

Would I be right in assuming the waist won't really stretch out that much more if there is minimum stress, and if I wear a belt from day one?

Last pair I had were a 26 worn for a yr but the waist never really stretched as much as i expected, causing that unsightly warp of all buttons on the flies. They also never really expanded in the seat area and after a soak I couldn't even get my legs through to stretch them back out.

I could try a 27 but the rise on the 28 is perfect and any shorter and I'd have to wear the jeans lower which isn't my thing these days.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I say if you're comfortable and happy with the fit, keep them and wear a belt and just enjoy. You could size down one but half the ownership period they'll be too tight and you'll be stretching them out, so I guess would you rather be uncomfortable in the beginning but happy in the end, or happy now and possibly less happy later?

10. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

if they fit perfect now then i'd just keep them

the legs won't stretch past a negligible amount

11. willis88

thanks gents. I'm hoping it's different rules of stretch this time as I'm going for more of a straight look rather than slim/skinny which I've usually gone for. Main concern is the crotch area going saggy held up by a tightly fastened belt. Reminds me of the days when i sized up on jeans to get the baggy look [​IMG]but you could see how much effort it was to keep them on the waist.

Been loking at nudie and edwin slim straight fits and they all seem to have thighs that balloon out on me

12. cutemelon

im pretty sure that the waist will still stretch a bit. I think you should size down one, but if you're happy with em keep em.

13. willis88

I'm tempted but its all to do with where i want them to sit. I can hoist up the 28s to my comfortable normal waist and its great that theres no genitals on show but a size down will only force me to wear them lower.
    Might return them while i still can and search for a similar cut/weight brand with normal-high rise..
    without the notoriety of stretch

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  14. HOT Sriracha

HOT Sriracha Well-Known Member

Anyone have the Portland Bomber jacket from previous seasons and can comment on sizing?

I remember trying a different APC bomber and it fit quite slim and required a size up.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

15. willy156

willy156 Active Member

16. willis88

Shame about the stink as max i would do is a dryclean on those

17. John-Galt

John-Galt Well-Known Member

I've always been curious about raw jeans smelling. I wore my PNS for over a year and it never had a pervasive musk.

Give the jeans a quick rinse (don't wring) in water treated with Santa Maria or other aromatics

18. willis88

With normal everyday wear they shouldn't really stink but it depends what you do in them. My last pair were fine for 8 months til summer when i started mowing the lawn, did a few bbqs, sat on stoney beach..
    It wasnt a projection smell (apparently) but when i sniffed the denim it was pretty horrific, esp on knees and seat.

19. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on the fit of the petite new standard vs. the petite standard? The web site seems to say the lower block is exactly the same, while the top block is moderately roomier in the thighs, and possibly seat. I assume they stretch the same in the waist. Is this correct? My worry is they'll be too roomy...

The PS is like my One Jean, and I'm looking for a temporary solution until I can lose about 10 lbs and get back into them. (Going to try one size up in the PNS and hope that works out).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  20. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I recall the PNS as being a big bigger in the thighs and having a higher rise compared to the PS. So compared to PS's, the PNS would have a roomier top block, as in higher rise and bigger thighs etc.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016