1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. edmi

edmi Member

Got these in black, same as the blue in your link (SS15). They are a selvedge gabardine, left hand twill - lighter weight than the standard denim. Tried on my usual size for APC jeans + trousers (29) and almost laughed myself out of the shop they were so tight on the leg. I then tried a 30 and they fit much better on thighs and top block. Unless you want them painted on, go up one size from your usual PNS size unless you like your fabric painted onto your legs. I washed them on 30 with no soap to shrink the leg and they lost over an inch and a half length too. Time will tell if they get too loose, but I doubt it. they're def half to whole size smaller than my normal PNS.

2. druid420

druid420 Well-Known Member

Getting kind of frustrated with my jeans right now. They're still breaking in nicely, but I've been hitting the squats pretty hard. They are tight in the thigh, almost skin tight now, but I have 2-3 extra inches in the waist. I sized down 2 - I'm normally a 30 so I went with a 28. The waist measures 32.5" but the crotch and thighs are tight. I should have gone with a 29 I guess, but then I'd have even more extra room in the waist...I don't understand.

When I finally wash them will the waist go back to around 30"? If they shrink that much then they'll shrink in the thigh too, no? If they shrink at all in the thigh they will be unwearable.

3. Alan Tabata

Alan Tabata Member

for those of you in Canada, apcs are on sale at Holt Refnrew for $156 plus an additional 20% off

$142 after taxes

only couple pairs left in 29 and 30

4. Canhapa

Canhapa Member

I'm thinking of getting the ps black. it looks like they are selvedge and are pure black in colour(not the raw looking black). I don't think they can be raw but what are people's experiences with sizing? I'm normally a 30 in indigo raws.

may be off topic but would a pair of acne max cash be of interest since i'm looking for a nice pair of solid black denim.
    cheers

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  5. frenchscience

frenchscience Member

Which Holt renfrew? I didn't think Montreal carried them anymore

6. John-Galt

John-Galt Well-Known Member

I would stay away, Acne is a fashion not denim brand. I know APC doesn't specialize in denim either but the consensus is that it makes alright denim

7. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

Check out rogue territory.

8. jacksonn

jacksonn Well-Known Member

I've had many pairs of APC - I'd advise that you cold soak them in the bath as a first 'wash'. Agitate any areas that need attention but otherwise leave them to soak. There will still be shrinkage, but it won't be a severe as a machine wash, and the waist will stretch back fully. Other areas like thighs will stretch back but not so much.

A machine wash almost turns NS into PS and the size will not come back. A lot is said about stretching with APC jeans. In my experience the waist definitely does stretch significantly. But that's it. The other areas of the jeans do not alter significantly. With this in mind I would suggest that any sizing down ideas with APC should apply to waist only.

9. dr1248

dr1248 Well-Known Member

Size down by 1, they are not raw denim. I own the acne ace stay in black. They are my favorite jeans.

10. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

How is buying and returning from the official APC site? I remember reading earlier in this thread (I think?) that their customer service team is small and that somebody had trouble getting their order actually shipped out or something like that.

11. AlexanderTG

AlexanderTG Well-Known Member

I had a hard time actually getting somebody to either answer the phone or call me back after leaving a couple of messages/emails. But after I had eventually connected with a live person there everything went well. He said it was a small crew that worked the customer service center and they had been swamped from the recent sale.

Good luck.

12. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Well-Known Member

hello guys, i'm a little unsure about which size to get - so any expertise from the forum would be really helpful. basically i measure my "true waist" as about 32 - 32.5ish. i am 5'7 and 145 - 150pounds.
    i have worn a 30 and a 31 in Dior Homme 19's. as some have expressed in the forum, i found the larger waist i bought, the less the jeans stretched.

so - i tried a 28 in the APC petit standard for about 6 months, but were uncomfortably tight in the thighs, and never really stretched the way i was told by the store. they did stretch, but always looked awkward to my eye.

so, i am torn between the APC new standard 29 and 30 or even the petit new standard in 29 or 30. i tried the 29 in NS at home for a few days, but the thighs felt a bit tight. i can't remember if my diors ever felt tight in the thigh, or not. the 30 APC NS feels a bit more comfortable. i should note - i could button up both the 29 and 30 without too much issue (the 29 i had to really squeeze into and couldn't do up the top button or two for half an hour or so). both my 30 and 31 doors m

anywyas - any advice really appreciated! a few fit pictures are below. from what have read in the thread, i should be around a 29 - but i'm a bit worried about the thighs.

APC new standard size 30 (measure out to 15.5 flat - have not worn in yet)
    [​IMG]

Dior 19inch 30 waist (now measure to 16.5 flat after use)
    [​IMG]

Dior 19inch 31 waist (now measure to 16.5 flat after use)
    [​IMG]

APC petit standard size 28: sold as were too tight (wore 6 months most days but thighs too tight)
    [​IMG]

GAP 1969 selvedge size 30 slim fit:
    [​IMG]

also - is the APC new standard closest in fit to the Dior 19? or am i off on this?

thanks all!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  13. lovelux2010

ps: coulndt figure out how to grab this picture as a screenshot, but i though this fit guide is a pretty good: (scroll down)
    http://www.darahkubiru.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11878&start=75

realising my post is probably too long - i'll keep it simple. my true waist is 32 - 32.5 (measured from correct place) - should i be sizing down 2 and buying a tagged 30 APC, or does sizing down 2 mean the measured APC jean laid flat??

after reading through a few hundred pages of this thread, it seems to me everyone is buying jean based on difference criteria (some sizing down based on what their tagged jeans say, some based on true waist, some based on measured jeans) - there is no consistency so i'm more lost after reading all of this. help , thanks..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  14. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

you just have to go with what feels and looks best to you

there's no objectivity to the sizing down "rule"

just note that while the waist will stretch, the legs (thighs and calves) will only do so negligibly, so it's best to size with how your legs feel from the get-go (since how they feel even after the jeans break in will be pretty similar)

if you're worried about the waist stretching out too much, wear a belt

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  15. lovelux2010

I saw your advice regarding thighs, I think that's great advice. from my expeirnce the waist does stretch, but as you say, thigh stretch negligible.
    given my info above, do you think 29 or 30 inside the realms of what will work?both sizes I can button up all the way, but In the 29 I notice the thighs being tight more than I do in the 30..

I don't mind wearing a belt, but didn't want too much extra fabric on the backside

16. lovelux2010

ok -so went back to APC and decided to try a pair of New Petit Standards in 29. I prefer the look of the 30 (looks a bit more relaxed throughout), but the guy in the store said the 29 will look like the 30 once is stretches out a bit throughout..hopefully he is right!

Petit New Standard in 30 (apparently too much fabric in thigh and quite easy to get on)
    [​IMG]

Petit New Standard in 29 (tigher in thighs and waist, but not that hard to get one. buttoned up easily)
    [​IMG]

do you guys think the 29 will start to resemble the 30? or they wrong? thanks!

17. ASpec818

ASpec818 Well-Known Member

The 29's look a lot cleaner from the get go..

18. lovelux2010

thanks! I was ready to buy the 30 after reading on here, and kind of thinking people downsizing too much. but 4 people in the shop were all giving opinions and all thought the 29 would look like the 30 in a while..and they thought the 29 would look better long term..
    so taking a risk and going with their advice...tight on my thighs but I think theyh'll stretch a bit

here is another shot of 29 - taper is more severe than I thought in the petit new standard
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  19. jhwendland

jhwendland Well-Known Member

The 29 looks good to me too. Mind if I ask what shoes you're wearing in that picture?

20. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member