1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A new top ten list of jeans - for Styleforum reborn.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I have to rate RRL above almost any other high-end/"premium", just because its available so cheap now. Affordability is a huge factor.

2. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

Brands like Samurai and Eternal would be perfect for the top 10 list... at superfuture.

I think there is a preference there for nice fades over nice cuts, and here it is the opposite. There obviously are nicely cut japanese jeans, but any company that does repros or has repro inspired cuts gets a big "meh" from me.

3. djh

djh Well-Known Member

hmm, I kinda disagree with you. When I look for jeans, I'm looking for jeans that will not only fade well but also fit well. I've found that a lot of Japanese "repro" brands like Samurai, Eternal, PBJ, and Skull have great cuts as well as great denim.

and @ keykoo, does any RL store carry RRL? Since you live pretty damn near me, which ones around the peninsula carry RRL? The RL at Stanford? Thanks!

4. keykoo

keykoo Well-Known Member

Palo Alto and the SF store both carry RRL.

Where are you guys getting your cheap RRL?

5. Lel

Lel Well-Known Member

I think that instead of a "Top 10 list" a tiered system would work better. Obviously it's extremely relative so jeans mentioned on SF would make tier 1 and tier 1.5 when you compare them to all jeans (mall brand included). But instead what if they were ranked against each other?

I think it's interesting to see how they stack up against each other and how some people feel. Also I think that it would be a great resource for deciding between jeans.

6. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Palo Alto and the SF store both carry RRL. Where are you guys getting your cheap RRL?
    Ebay.

7. Daskb

Daskb Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

I think it's tasteless and idiotic to chastise people who buy jeans for reasons that you don't find acceptable.

Thanks Stazy.

8. rexej28

rexej28 New Member

second that....where are you finding cheap rrl?

thanks

9. Tourangh

Tourangh Well-Known Member

Really???

Just off the top of my head
    - for the denim geek: PPRS, 5EP, Ande Whall
    - for fit-obsessed hipsters: Acne, DH, and prob RRL Slim Fit
    - icon: APC

Hmmm I am a denim geek after my first raw denim purchase. [​IMG]

10. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

Ok, my best "something for everyone" list (comprised entirely of jeans I own, lol):

For the discerning customer with an eye for style and quality, an awareness of trends, and interest in the concept of stealth-wealth: Rag & Bone RB11

For the hipster/fashion conscious/trent-whore: Acne Mic Ridged

For the douchebag in all of us: 7 For all Mankind Slouchy in Los Angeles

For the denim-head who still has a keen eye for value in relation to quality, and considers comfort and wearability important: 5EP LDB selvage in raw or resin

For jeans that look like they are just regular jeans, for just a regular guy, but actually have some relevance in the world of fashion: Corpus Fine 80

For the premium jean you got at the mall because you don't want to depart too much from the standard but don't advertise your need to spend $200 on jeans: Earnest Sewn Fulton 06

11. atomicranch

atomicranch Well-Known Member

Ok, my best "something for everyone" list (comprised entirely of jeans I own, lol):

For the discerning customer with an eye for style and quality, an awareness of trends, and interest in the concept of stealth-wealth: Rag & Bone RB11

For the hipster/fashion conscious/trent-whore: Acne Mic Ridged

For the douchebag in all of us: 7 For all Mankind Slouchy in Los Angeles

For the denim-head who still has a keen eye for value in relation to quality, and considers comfort and wearability important: 5EP LDB selvage in raw or resin

For jeans that look like they are just regular jeans, for just a regular guy, but actually have some relevance in the world of fashion: Corpus Fine 80

For the premium jean you got at the mall because you don't want to depart too much from the standard but don't advertise your need to spend $200 on jeans: Earnest Sewn Fulton 06

That's a good list. Strangely enough, I own 4 out of the 6 jeans myself (not the Sevens or the Corpus).

12. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon this ancient thread and just had to smile, as back in the day I owned a fair number of these jeans (as well as ones from the previous top-ten linked in this thread). They were jeans I thought would be in style (and last) forever, alas I don't think any remain in my collection. So, anyone want to take a stab at a current version? I would, except I feel that all of the jeans I wear/admire are too similar to one another to really provide a legit list.

However, this would be my list (only a few pairs I own and really dig):

APC New Standard Marine Noir - Super dark, non-contrast stitched version which fits right off the bat due to the polyurethane blend. I like them for travel because they're comfortable and dress up well, can be the only jean I take on a trip.

Helmut Lang Straight Leg in raw - Most of the line is awful, but at Gilt's prices, the fit/color/quality is pretty damn good.

Rag & Bone RB15 Shiny Indigo - These are great for dress, with their dark color, non-contrast stitching and resin coating. Slightly wider lower leg works well to dress up as well.

3sixteen SL100 - Plain raw jeans at a pretty good price and subtle, quality detailing to match.

13. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

haha, shall we play now?

in no particular order.
    1. KMW 1980s - For someone who likes all the details and a modern slim straight fit, with the denim having more of a focus on "fineness" (zimbabwean long staple cotton) than character (e.g. not much slubbiness and slow fading).

2. LVC 1947 501s - Jeans for the MC and/or athletic or bigger guy.

3. Dior Homme 19cm - slouchy top block and narrow hem, with more of a focus on the cut than the denim quality.

4. Flathead 1001 - sick fadezzzz, slim cut

5. Sugar cane somethings - crazy denims, repro cuts.

6. APC NS, N&F Weird Guy - Cheaper but decent quality.

That's about as far as i know. Anyone wanna dissect/elaborate?

14. Vaitek

Vaitek Well-Known Member

3sixteen SL100 - Plain raw jeans at a pretty good price and subtle, quality detailing to match.

+1

I picked these up and they are great.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I'll play again, but I have to warn you guys that I am not a Kiya/Gordon style denimhead. I respect what they do, but I think that there is a place for modern and fashion brands as well.

No time to do it now, but a real mix of labels, including Wings+Horns, RRL, and Kohzo all make the new list, in addition to some old stalwarts like Kicking Mule Workshop and Ironheart (still the standard for heavyweight denim.)

The list (mine) has been updated many times since 2006, which is a lifetime ago in fashion terms, and really, very little survives that long, stylewise.

16. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I remember this thread.

W+H has to win it right now for me, even though I currently have 0 pairs that fit. I'm wearing KZO raws Nudie SJDGCs and that's it.

17. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Well-Known Member

I'll play again, but I have to warn you guys that I am not a Kiya/Gordon style denimhead. I respect what they do, but I think that there is a place for modern and fashion brands as well.

No time to do it now, but a real mix of labels, including Wings+Horns, RRL, and Kohzo all make the new list, in addition to some old stalwarts like Kicking Mule Workshop and Ironheart (still the standard for heavyweight denim.)

The list (mine) has been updated many times since 2006, which is a lifetime ago in fashion terms, and really, very little survives that long, stylewise.

I'll be quite interested to see this. Interestingly enough, while the APC NS may not make your "top 10" in 2010, I'd say that it's still quite relevant, more so than the other jeans from the '06 list (or '05 one linked).

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I'll be quite interested to see this. Interestingly enough, while the APC NS may not make your "top 10" in 2010, I'd say that it's still quite relevant, more so than the other jeans from the '06 list (or '05 one linked).
    The APC NS will probably make it. There is something to be said for a jean that has been around and is still the standard 8 years after it was introduced, and was based on a jean that was designed in 1989. Yeah, there are problems with QA/QC, the denim is sort of flat compared to that used by many other companies, and the jeans don't cost $110 anymore (seems like a lifetime ago now,) but it just won't quit. Personally, I wear Wings+Horns and RRL 90-95% of the time, and break out the 5EPxSF or something else once in a while.

19. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

This may have been asked, but is this LA Guy's top-ten list of his personal favorites? Or is this top-ten list based on other data?

If this is meant to be a universal top-ten based on perceived Forum popularity, I'd say it's missing some of the biggest hitters, IMO.

20. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

OP was 2006, mlyngard.