1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A New Size for Denim: Extra Tight

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whynot, May 4, 2006.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

The only people who hate on skinny jeans are fat guys who can't fit into them.

Or were through that fad the first time around. I am a pretty lean 152 lbs and 5'11" (31 true waist), and while I don't "hate on" skinny jeans, I think that they are a fad that hit an early peak (i.e. went to the extreme) and won't have the longevity that bootcuts or relaxed fit jeans did. The market is extremely segmented right now, of course, but I think that the mainstream trend (read, affecting pretty much everyone) will die off fairly soon.

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

5'10" and 130 lbs and exactly the same sentiments.

3. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

I don't think tight jeans ever hit the mass market the way bootcuts did. Recently, i mean.

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

The only people who hate on skinny jeans are fat guys who can't fit into them.
    I'm not fat, and I don't like skinny jeans. It's all a matter of proportions and harmony. I have a fairly developped upper body with wider shoulders (by french standards [​IMG] ) and skinny jeans look ridiculous on me (whereas tappered slim designer trousers don't, go figure...).

!luc

5. mattjames

mattjames Well-Known Member

Or were through that fad the first time around. I am a pretty lean 152 lbs and 5'11" (31 true waist), and while I don't "hate on" skinny jeans, I think that they are a fad that hit an early peak (i.e. went to the extreme) and won't have the longevity that bootcuts or relaxed fit jeans did. The market is extremely segmented right now, of course, but I think that the mainstream trend (read, affecting pretty much everyone) will die off fairly soon.

You are speaking purely on the basis of following fashion. Which is not something that should concern you. I'll continue wearing slim jeans even if they become fashion suicide.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I'll continue wearing slim jeans even if they become fashion suicide.

Werd. I think too much is made of slim jeans being "fashion". They've always existed from the early days of denim, they're just making a re-appearance after taking a back seat to loose/boocut denim for so many years.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

You are speaking purely on the basis of following fashion. Which is not something that should concern you. I'll continue wearing slim jeans even if they become fashion suicide.
    Everyone is affected by trends, including, (surprise[​IMG] ), people who read and post on a men's fashion forum (which this is). If you are part of a subculture, you are affected by the trends within that subculture, which has a symbiotic relationship with the "mainstream" culture. Unless you live in a cave with no stimuli from society, easy money says that there is some societal force which would compel you to choose not to wear slim jeans.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Everyone is affected by trends, including, (surprise[​IMG] ), people who read and post on a men's fashion forum (which this is). If you are part of a subculture, you are affected by the trends within that subculture, which has a symbiotic relationship with the "mainstream" culture. Unless you live in a cave with no stimuli from society, easy money says that there is some societal force which would compel you to choose not to wear slim jeans.

Hey I'm the only person impervious to marketing, just like everyone else[​IMG]