1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A guide to dry-cleaning

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chimes, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Chimes

Chimes Member

If this topic has been covered, I appologize in advance. I did a search and came up empty handed. I also googled it with very confusing results.

I've heard here and there that Dry-Cleaning really isn't anything but clothes being put in a washer and then pressed. I've also heard that "true" Dry-Cleaning doesn't clean anything at all - that its simply steamed and pressed.

So I'm hoping some of the Gentlemen on this esteemed site can clear up some of the mystery here.

2. artdeco73

artdeco73 Well-Known Member

Dry cleaning uses chemicals, but no water, hence "dry" cleaning, as opposed to laundering, which uses water and a soap-like detergent. Dry cleaning is definitely more than just steaming and pressing, and certainly not the same as washing.

Some members will counsel you against dry cleaning your clothing too frequently because it causes the color to fade and the garment to deteriorate more quickly, while others will say that dry cleaning causes no damage at all, assuming it is done properly. My personal feeling is that one shouldn't overdo it (once a week, for example, is too much), but within reason, dry cleaning is relatively harmless.

3. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member