1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A fat guy with a date: need help with style, fit, choices!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CallMeCoach, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Shift

Shift Member

7g rocks and jeggins = winning

2. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

7g rocks and jeggins = winning

dont quote cs.

3. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

your an idiot.

No, you're an idiot. It's a contraction of "you are".

To the OP, Cotton Works and Modern Tailor are both made-to-measure shirt makers, and both are forum affiliates. You can link to their web sites from the Men's Clothing sub-forum. Neither is particularly expensive, and they have a variety of colors and patters (just maybe stay away from big patterns and bright colors).

Shepler's has Levi's 501s going up to a 42 waist (http://www.sheplers.com/levis-jeans-...k-to-fit.html). Dark denim will probably be more flattering than the light-wash jeans you posted.

4. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

um ... yeah.

Did I call it or what..

5. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

No, you're an idiot. It's a contraction of "you are".

To the OP, Cotton Works and Modern Tailor are both made-to-measure shirt makers, and both are forum affiliates. You can link to their web sites from the Men's Clothing sub-forum. Neither is particularly expensive, and they have a variety of colors and patters (just maybe stay away from big patterns and bright colors).

Shepler's has Levi's 501s going up to a 42 waist (http://www.sheplers.com/levis-jeans-...k-to-fit.html). Dark denim will probably be more flattering than the light-wash jeans you posted.

your an idiot.

6. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

polo makes sizes up to 42 i think. they definitely also have a b&t line.

if you're going on a date i would recommend really thinking about how much this girl is worth to you. if you want to make a good first impression don't spare any expense.

7. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

eff it...I'll take a shot based on what stylish big friends of mine wear.

I'd look into a good quality tailored blazer. If you dropped, say, $600 including tailoring to shorten sleeves etc., you'd have something you'll have for a long time and can wear in any situation. Since you probably don't have easy access to lots of good stores, I'd go for Brooks Brothers' Web site.

This is available in up to a 48 (you may be bigger), but is an example of something that might work for you. :

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Pair that with a pair of medium-wash jeans (no gimmicks, please) and a nice white shirt and you're money. Interesting eyewear and a vintage military watch would add interest. I think the goal is to not draw attention to your middle. Alternatively you could wear a khaki cotton sports coat. at 40/32, you should pay attention to the pant/shoe interface. You don't want your pants to swallow your shoes...you might have to have a tailor taper your jeans an inch or so.

If you're bigger than any decent OTR sports coats, I'd seriously think in the future about going MTM or custom made.

8. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

9. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

Black is too obvious man. Try more blues, like this:

http://www.us.thomaspink.com/fcp/pr...ing-Stripe-Men's-Shirt---Button-Cuff/99913604

The Thomas Pink traveller collection might be good, because it has a good silhouette, isn't too form fitting, and resists wrinkles which can be helpful if you've got a lot of real estate. For me it fits baggy. I don't know if size 19 is enough?

I agree. A decent quality (no mall brands) thin striped shirt under a blazer would look great. (on anyone).

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Whoe, calm down there big boy, just letting you know. Fatty.
    your an idiot, i_pod_sux.
    +1, you ruined my day with your comment

11. politoskim

politoskim Well-Known Member

unfortunately, the general consensus is that it is just difficult to find nicer clothes for bigger people, relatively speaking, simply because the designers seem to disregard this side of the spectrum. not sure if you're into the hypebeast-like brands such as obey, supreme, the hundreds, etc. but i've noticed that their stuff can run up to bigger sizes. check out their outer-wear and button ups, i think you'd be pleasantly suprised.

12. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Well-Known Member

crushing on her, huh?

13. CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Member

Awesome info, fellas!! Much appreciated!

crushing on her, huh?

Hehe - good one. And yes.

Okay, so a Thomas Pink shirt, with a blazer. Black Blazer I'm assuming? I have a Charcoal blazer from Buckel, but you guys probably hate that.

Def going to look into a tailor. The searching for crap, but crap I don't like, then never wearing it is for the birds.

I'll check out BB

Medium Wash is better than light wash? I always liked the light wash because my upper body is bigger than my lower, and the darker the jean the more out of proportion my body looks. Know what I mean?

Yeah man, that's what I was thinking about the black. Kind of obvious i'm trying to look more slim. The shirt you have here is a light blue, shouldn't I go darker?

I'm with you there, man. I'm down to drop some coin - tired of being disappointed in my attire. She's worth it, too [​IMG]

That's what I'm talking about! Cotton Works and Modern Tailor will most def be checked out.

And aren't 501's slim fitting nut huggers? I wear a 40 waist, so the size will be fine as long as it's not some Vintage fit/Slim fit garbage the designers make for you skinny guys, while trying to sound appealing to the customer when they just wanna save cash on material by using less. (Okay, maybe i'm ranting now haha).

Thanks for the answer, finally. Just wasn't sure if Tailors did the casual stuff, too.

If a tailor made me look sharp, thinner, more comfortable, and trendy/fashionable, whilst making me feel confident, well that my friends is worth it's weight in gold!

14. CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Member

How do you have large thighs but thin calves? How much do you weigh?
    Are you serious, man? IDK how, I didn't create my DNA. I just have smaller cavs in proportion to thighs. re:God on the how/why. And I'm not gonna go weigh myself for you. What the heck does it matter if i'm 125lbs, or 250lbs if my size is the same? I wear a 50 long Jacket. 40x32 jean XXL t-shirt 18-18 1/2T collared shirts Is that good enough for ya, brohem?

15. CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Member

16. imhotep

imhotep Well-Known Member

Is it possible for you to get down to a 38 waist? You will have lots of selection at that point. here are some jeans i found in size 40x32: http://cgi.ebay.com/325-Ralph-Lauren...#ht_3074wt_932 RRL gets plenty of love on these boards. Also, shoes are one area where your can do well. Try having a look on www.yoox.com perhaps get advice here regarding which shoes/boots would look good with the style of jeans you will wear, and then use a tailor to solve the shirt & blazer problem.

17. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Well-Known Member

I have a fat friend and he wouldn't be caught dead in jeans. I think this is the right move.

18. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

So many /facepalms in this thread.

@CallMeCoach - It looks like you have some solid advice and a good direction to start in. Good luck with the date, and the new threads.

19. everybodynobody

everybodynobody Well-Known Member

Sydney Greenstreet was pretty stylish for a fat man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't argue with this. A tailored suit, pocket watch, and a fez and you're all set.

20. everybodynobody

everybodynobody Well-Known Member

Mies Van der Rohe:

[​IMG]

Brando:

[​IMG]