1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A&F T-Shirts are PERFECT!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Blackhood, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Ok I knew that title would get some attention.

I like T-Shirts; plain white, grey even a navy blue now and then. The trouble is that all t-shirts I've tried (Primark, H&M, Calvin Klien 360, Ralph Lauren Polo, Purple Label Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, and hundreds more) all feel too flimsy or get seriously bent out of shape after about 4 months of wear. There is one exception ... A&F. Back in my college days I had quite a few and wore them into the fucking ground. I'm talking two or three washes a week and wearing them from class to playing football in them. Bar none they survived the washing machine, the dryer and being pulled about remarkably well.

If A&F would make a t-shirt without a logo I would buy them by the boatload, but alas they only come with that obnoxious "Hey maaaaaaaan I live on a beach because I'm a free spirit but I also like to surf and wear cologne that smells like sick" look.

Has anyone come across a T-Shirt with the durability and robustness of A&F without the awful merchandising? I'm looking for heavy cottons, thick collar reinforcement that can take a beating daily. I prefer a shallow V-Neck but crew would be acceptable if thats all there is.

All help is always appreciated.

PS. A&F Sucks. I know. It is made by orphans and sold for one billion times what it is worth. I know. Please don't just shout how bad they are.

2. Slippybee

Slippybee Well-Known Member

Fruit of the loom heavy cotton T's.

Cheap and durable. Pick them up for Amazon for buttons.

3. Blackhood

I hadn't thought of those; I remember FotL from my school days when they made our sports gear, which I suppose had to stand up to quite a beating. I'll order a couple now!

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Some of the heaviest-duty T-shirts I've found were from the Stafford line at JC Penney. No joke.

/Cruiser

5. bjornb17

bjornb17 Well-Known Member

I honestly like American Eagle plain color t-shirts just for wearing with jeans on the weekend. The weight, fit, and drape of them is just perfect and very flattering on me. I don't really endorse the brand in any other way, though.

6. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

7. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

8. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

J Crew plain t-shirts are my favorites. I find sizing down in the regular fit is a better fit on me than going with my true size in the slim fit but your mileage may vary.

Also, are you buying the packs of plain t-shirts (typically sold in the underwear section)? Those always tend to be thinner and flimsier than the ones sold in the main section of a store. J Crew is a prime example of this; the regular ones are great, the undershirts have many of the problems you describe.

9. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

+1

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Hanes Premium at Target. 2 pack for $10. Very nice and they come in white, black, and grey.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I have a few old Gap T-shirts that have held up pretty well.

You know, I swear that on first reading, I parsed "the fucking ground" as slang for a local club you liked visiting...

12. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Well-Known Member

Uniqlo has T shirts for about 5 dollars that are slightly thicker, have a shallow V, and come in a variety of colors.

13. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

You're not alone there. xD

14. parmand

parmand Member

Gap tshirts have never done me wrong. I'm a big fan of their Charcoal color, and they've lasted forever (I bought a bunch back in...2006? for about 8 bucks each. They're just finally starting to wear out). Plus, no logos.

BR seems to have some solid ones too, but I don't own any. Also: Everlane. Their stocks seems low right now, but at 15 bucks a shirt its not too shabby at all.. And the woman of the household loves my EL shirts more than any others...

EDIT: Oh hell, just realized I mini-necroed this thread. Sorry about that...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  15. Blackhood

Actually its good to be reminded of it.

An update for those who are interested: Tried both the valueweight and premium shirts from Fruit of the Loom. Frankly the valueweight is terrible but the premium has a much nicer feel. Amazon allows me to pick them up at £3 each so I'm happy!

16. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Well-Known Member

I would have said to pick up Faconnable but unfortunately they have gone the way of other high end t shirts. I have one of the originals and it still looks fantastic after 5+ years, the new ones look horrible in a month..................going to try Lands End. If anybody else has had the same experience with Faconnable and has found an alternative please post.

17. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

"Irregular" Hanes and Fruit of the Loom t's at Discount Dave's.

18. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

BR acid wash V-neck Ts work well for me. Fit me better than J.Crew and come in a lot of different colors.

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

i'll be picking up some uniqlo this weekend will post opinions then

20. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

You won't be disappointed. I have about 20 of them laying around somewhere... I lose plain t-shirts quickly. :satisfied: