• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

911 Turbo vs. Ferrari: Pros & Cons

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The 911 is built with mass production techniques on an assembly line.

So are the Lamborghinis but they are still fine cars and Porsche is more reliable by all accounts.

An assembly line does not automatically lower build quality.

CodeRed

Reaction score
get a pagani zonda if you want hand made...it comes with a big price tag

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1. Porsche has a good track record for reliability. However, people with blown engines and RMS issues on 996's in particular would disagree.

ragdoll

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback on my original question of Ferrari vs. Porsche TT. I spent the last week testdriving a number of Porsches from the Cayman S to the Turbo. All fun cars to drive though quite different in personality.

Are there strong reasons not to purchase a low mileage Porsche Turbo (2008 with about 3K miles) rather than new? I think they will discount it by about 10%. OR should I go with an 2009 and pay full price? The used 2008 has pretty much everything I want in it and I usually keep cars for a long time.

kman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CodeRed
get a pagani zonda if you want hand made...it comes with a big price tag

+1

imho this is one of the nicest cars you can buy. better then a ferrari or a lambo any day. just an absolutley beautiful car.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragdoll
Thanks for all the feedback on my original question of Ferrari vs. Porsche TT. I spent the last week testdriving a number of Porsches from the Cayman S to the Turbo. All fun cars to drive though quite different in personality.

Are there strong reasons not to purchase a low mileage Porsche Turbo (2008 with about 3K miles) rather than new? I think they will discount it by about 10%. OR should I go with an 2009 and pay full price? The used 2008 has pretty much everything I want in it and I usually keep cars for a long time.

Either a used pampered 2008 or new 2009 would be fine. The 2008 would still have lots of warranty remaining plus you can get additional years from the Porsche dealership. On the other hand, a new 2009 would be pretty nice.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
So are the Lamborghinis but they are still fine cars and Porsche is more reliable by all accounts.

An assembly line does not automatically lower build quality.

OK, but I don't think anyone's claimed otherwise. My only point is that a 911 is not a limited-production car by any means. An Enzo Ferrari with only 400 ever built is a limited-production car.

The 09 911s have a minor facelift with LED headlights, and improved telematics package (the nav/stereo stack) that can't be retrofitted easily to earlier models. They finally have decent iPod integration along with other things. If that's important for you, you should check it out.

The non-turbos get direct fuel-injection for better mileage and more power, as well as an optional dual-clutch semiautomatic transmission. I'm not sure whether these things are carried over to the Turbo.

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I would still choose the Porsche 911 twin turbo over the F430, however my bank account is not yet in agreeance.

...even though I would prefer the GT2 over the 911 TT.

If I were to get a 911, it'd be the base model, stripped down to the essentials for sporty driving. Porsches have always represented practical minimalism to me. I want to drive to the racetrack in comfort, flog the car on the track, and drive back with good AC and an iPod interface.

--Andre

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 997's are beautiful regardless, but given the information Andre provided, it would be a tough choice. I would tend to go for the 2008, due to it being extremely low in miles, has everything you want, and is considerably less expensive (the money saved can be used on a new wardrobe or a trip). However, do what feels best, you only live once.
smile.gif

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
the 928 especially in that champagne gold they used to have.

The couple next door bought one of those in the mid 80s in that exact color. It was returned in under 48 hours, and my father always suspected that the color was too 'swish' for the husband. I got to ride in the backseat for 10 minutes though.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew

If I were to get a 911, it'd be the base model, stripped down to the essentials for sporty driving. Porsches have always represented practical minimalism to me. I want to drive to the racetrack in comfort, flog the car on the track, and drive back with good AC and an iPod interface.

--Andre

So if money was no object, you would actually choose a base 911 for the track, over it's lighter more track oriented brethren the GT3? Last I checked they both have AC and the GT3 is more of the minimalist.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the two wealthiest guys I know loves cars, but has never ever bought a brand new car. He buys a used Ferrari, enjoys it, then sells it long before the major tune up is due.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
One of the two wealthiest guys I know loves cars, but has never ever bought a brand new car. He buys a used Ferrari, enjoys it, then sells it long before the major tune up is due.

Which is one major reason for the depreciation.
teacha.gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Not a bad idea, Ferrari's are so difficult to purchase new anyways, why stay on a year long waiting list, when you could buy slightly used.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if money was no object, you would actually choose a base 911 for the track, over it's lighter more track oriented brethren the GT3? Last I checked they both have AC and the GT3 is more of the minimalist.
If money were no object, but I had to choose a 911, then I'd test drive both (and probably an RS). I think any of the GT cars would be too hardcore for a daily driver. I wouldn't want to buy just a pure track toy, but that's just me. I also can't deal with the fact that you are forced to have a sunroof on the 997 GT3 in the US. --Andre

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea, Ferrari's are so difficult to purchase new anyways, why stay on a year long waiting list, when you could buy slightly used.

Aversion to paying over MSRP? For some people it's just a psychological thing - they can't pay more than the list price because in their minds, that's what it's worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads