1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

9 Kick Ass Foreign Films Every Guy Should See

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by clarinetplayer, Apr 15, 2010.

1. StolenCar

StolenCar Well-Known Member

Kagemusha is compelling, gorgeous, touching...just masterfully done, and I wouldn't tie it in with spaghetti westerns in any way.[/I]

The Bad Sleep Well was on TCM recently and it was so good we rented it and watched it again a few days later. A highly recommended contemporary Kurosawa flick.

2. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Well-Known Member

No La Femme Nikita = yet another fail

3. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

Have just watched the foreign Oscar winner, The Secret In Their Eyes, from Argentina. Very nice.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I can't remember the names of the films I saw because it was quite a long time ago (when I was a young teen) and they weren't english titles making them hard to remember, but if anyone could help me identify them from the descriptions below I would greatly appreciate it [​IMG].

One of them is a matrix rip-off shown entirely in green sepia with a woman who uses a mask to get to another world, I remember she feeds her pet elaborate meals when she's at home in her flat (I believe?). She is shown catching the train a bit and has a short bob-like haircut from memory. The ending has a beautiful philharmonic orchestra at a church I believe.

Avalon. And seriously, suggesting that Mamoru Oshii ripped off the Matrix is hilarious.

No idea.

Last one is simple, was a japanese (asian at least) film where two twin japanese (?) sisters (I think assassins?) trying to kill eachother throughout the entire film, this was the whole movie and it was something about cheating on eachother's boyfriend or something but they go to great lengths to try to kill eachother and naturally they both end up killing themselves at the same time, this was kind of interesting to watch though as the fight was pretty damn ridiculous and quite gory from memory. The movie's title I remember being very short and potentially having numbers in it.[/quote]

2LDK. They weren't sisters or assassins, they were roommates who got out of hand competing over a boyfriend and a job.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Bicycle Thieves, which is one of the first foreign films I ever watched. It's a great film (and I mean "great") that depicts the struggle of men as the bread-winner within a hard and unfair world.

Absolutely agree, but I wouldn't characterize it as a "Kick Ass" film. It is completely amazing, and should be seen, but there's not a whole lot of ass kicking going on in it.

5. frenchy

frenchy Well-Known Member

Sorry, haven't seen it actually....but Nick Cage....just put a bad taste in my mouth [​IMG]

I only like the movie with him where he bones John Travolta's wife. That was kinda funny.

Anyway, I shouldn't come off too much as a cinema snob. I always have my gf to put me in check when I'm feeling froggy by saying "What the fuck, you liked Bad Boys 2!!!"

so you are criticizing a movie without even seeing it?

6. frenchy

frenchy Well-Known Member

and where are any of krzysztof Kieslowskis films?

7. XenoX101

XenoX101 Well-Known Member

Avalon. And seriously, suggesting that Mamoru Oshii ripped off the Matrix is hilarious. 2LDK. They weren't sisters or assassins, they were roommates who got out of hand competing over a boyfriend and a job.
    Thanks heaps, appreciate it. re: 2LDK, I remember them looking very alike so I must've assumed they were sisters, and the assassins part was probably me confusing it with kill bill + the overt fighting might have lead me to making assumptions as well. re: Avalon, I think it was simply style that was akin to the matrix, rather than the storyline itself, which from memory had little to do with it, with the green sepia tones and what not. I see though that ghost in the shell and avalon are made by the same director so I can understand the stupidity of my assumption. I was only 14-15 at the time when I saw it though so I don't take my opinion of it then too seriously - i.e: there were many opinions that I had then that I laugh at now. Once again, my thanks.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

so you are criticizing a movie without even seeing it?

Don't worry, you'll get used to it. [​IMG]

I think that the real issue is that there are far more than nine foriegn films a "guy" should see. A list of nine? It's a bullshit exercise to begin with. They didn't say that these are the ONLY 9 films a guy should see... just that as a guy, you should see these films - which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Then again, I watch somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 movies a year - I don't expect people to keep up with me.