• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9 Kick Ass Foreign Films Every Guy Should See

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Sorry, haven't seen it actually....but Nick Cage....just put a bad taste in my mouth
smile.gif

I only like the movie with him where he bones John Travolta's wife. That was kinda funny.

Anyway, I shouldn't come off too much as a cinema snob. I always have my gf to put me in check when I'm feeling froggy by saying "What the ****, you liked Bad Boys 2!!!"

Nick Cage isn't the world's greatest or even a versatile actor or anything, but he is pretty good in certain roles. This just happened to be a "Nick Cage role".

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Irreversible!! It kicks a lot o' ass!!

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^that movie actually rapes a lot of ass

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only seen three foreign films so far (I'm 21), one of them sucked while the other two were ok, the perspectives are great though because they're so very different to western theatre. I can't remember the names of the films I saw because it was quite a long time ago (when I was a young teen) and they weren't english titles making them hard to remember, but if anyone could help me identify them from the descriptions below I would greatly appreciate it
smile.gif
. One of them is a matrix rip-off shown entirely in green sepia with a woman who uses a mask to get to another world, I remember she feeds her pet elaborate meals when she's at home in her flat (I believe?). She is shown catching the train a bit and has a short bob-like haircut from memory. The ending has a beautiful philharmonic orchestra at a church I believe. Another I only vaguely remember but it won a big award I believe, it had a woman who was succesful or famous and then she went downhill and there was one scene where she kept asking these guys in an alley to fight her and they told her to **** off and beat her up a bit then she kept persisting and they ended up stabbing her, but she lived. I think she cut her hair short after that and there was a sex scene with her hair short and she was very pale. The ending scene had a guy leaving on a bus looking back and I remember it was a sad ending (and before someone makes the joke, no it's not shawshank redemption :p) Last one is simple, was a japanese (asian at least) film where two twin japanese (?) sisters (I think assassins?) trying to kill eachother throughout the entire film, this was the whole movie and it was something about cheating on eachother's boyfriend or something but they go to great lengths to try to kill eachother and naturally they both end up killing themselves at the same time, this was kind of interesting to watch though as the fight was pretty damn ridiculous and quite gory from memory. The movie's title I remember being very short and potentially having numbers in it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No Santo equals quadruple fail.

santo_affmex1.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's mentioned Bicycle Thieves, which is one of the first foreign films I ever watched. It's a great film (and I mean "great") that depicts the struggle of men as the bread-winner within a hard and unfair world.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some non-U.S. films that I liked were e.g. Kung-fu Hustle, Shichinin no Samurai, The Killer, Belle de Jour, Le Mepris, Trainspotting, A Clockwork Orange or Zulu with Michael Caineand and very many British programs like Brideshead, Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i forgot how good infernal affairs was. so much better than the departed. need to rewatch it.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main offerings here are foreign films. Unfortunately a lot of them are from Hollywood.

Although there are a few from England, NZ, Ireland, Europe, Scandinavia, Russia as well as Bollywood and a small roster of local films.

One good foreign film I saw last week was Crazy Heart - they aren't all bad....

StolenCar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher;3142578

Oh, he was much more than that. His use of broad, huge shots, colors, and pacing were, if not original (see John Ford and DW Griffith, for example), brilliant. As I said last year in my "underappreciated films" thread, [I
Kagemusha is compelling, gorgeous, touching...just masterfully done, and I wouldn't tie it in with spaghetti westerns in any way.[/I]

The Bad Sleep Well was on TCM recently and it was so good we rented it and watched it again a few days later. A highly recommended contemporary Kurosawa flick.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have just watched the foreign Oscar winner, The Secret In Their Eyes, from Argentina. Very nice.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I can't remember the names of the films I saw because it was quite a long time ago (when I was a young teen) and they weren't english titles making them hard to remember, but if anyone could help me identify them from the descriptions below I would greatly appreciate it
smile.gif

One of them is a matrix rip-off shown entirely in green sepia with a woman who uses a mask to get to another world, I remember she feeds her pet elaborate meals when she's at home in her flat (I believe?). She is shown catching the train a bit and has a short bob-like haircut from memory. The ending has a beautiful philharmonic orchestra at a church I believe.

Avalon. And seriously, suggesting that Mamoru Oshii ripped off the Matrix is hilarious.

Another I only vaguely remember but it won a big award I believe, it had a woman who was succesful or famous and then she went downhill and there was one scene where she kept asking these guys in an alley to fight her and they told her to **** off and beat her up a bit then she kept persisting and they ended up stabbing her, but she lived. I think she cut her hair short after that and there was a sex scene with her hair short and she was very pale. The ending scene had a guy leaving on a bus looking back and I remember it was a sad ending (and before someone makes the joke, no it's not shawshank redemption :p)
No idea.

Last one is simple, was a japanese (asian at least) film where two twin japanese (?) sisters (I think assassins?) trying to kill eachother throughout the entire film, this was the whole movie and it was something about cheating on eachother's boyfriend or something but they go to great lengths to try to kill eachother and naturally they both end up killing themselves at the same time, this was kind of interesting to watch though as the fight was pretty damn ridiculous and quite gory from memory. The movie's title I remember being very short and potentially having numbers in it.[/quote]

2LDK. They weren't sisters or assassins, they were roommates who got out of hand competing over a boyfriend and a job.

Originally Posted by HORNS
I don't think anyone's mentioned Bicycle Thieves, which is one of the first foreign films I ever watched. It's a great film (and I mean "great") that depicts the struggle of men as the bread-winner within a hard and unfair world.

Absolutely agree, but I wouldn't characterize it as a "Kick Ass" film. It is completely amazing, and should be seen, but there's not a whole lot of ass kicking going on in it.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Sorry, haven't seen it actually....but Nick Cage....just put a bad taste in my mouth
smile.gif

I only like the movie with him where he bones John Travolta's wife. That was kinda funny.

Anyway, I shouldn't come off too much as a cinema snob. I always have my gf to put me in check when I'm feeling froggy by saying "What the ****, you liked Bad Boys 2!!!"

so you are criticizing a movie without even seeing it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads