• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$700 for a Baumler... OK?

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
HI SF, first time poster,

So... last week the mood struck to me to buy a suit for social occasions. I'm a contractor and don't need a suit for work but have enjoyed hitting the Toronto scene in my jacket (JP. Tilford) and was liking the idea of kicking things up a notch with a new suit. As, so far, this would be my only suit in Toronto (I'm a relocated Ohioan) I went with the typical Navy anchor. Some research on JP Tilford and in turn Samuelsohn had me liking the idea of a Tilford or Samuelsohn suit and I tried one on at Harry's for $1050 (~$1200 after taxes). Before I dropped that much on a suit that would be worn sparingly I checked out the ongoing sale at Harry's Mississauga outlet.

I found a Baumler that fit really well, jacket and pants both. I hadn't heard of the brand so before I bought it I walked out and used the smartphone to find a few comments on a couple of forums, including SF. The comments were all positive and I went back in and paid the $800 including taxes and a $12 charge to hem the pants.

I know the Samuelsohn would have been a popular choice but the $400 difference would have been hard to spend for a suit that may only be worn a half a dozen times a year. The comments on forums have been positive and a friend told me today that his Baumler pants have held up through years of regular office wear. One guy on SF said the suits are fused, although the salesperson assured me it's fully canvased (although he also suggested that black would be a good choice for my only suit).

So... the thing is bought and paid for. I just thought I'd ask you guys if I at least did 'OK'? or if I need to try harder next time. Thanks All!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads