• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50K for a luxury/sport car or SUV – what to get?!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Some of the options are very nice, the electronics are great, and that new engine in the FX is very nice. I think she's down between the ML and the FX.

The X5 is a hard sell. It's the price of an MB GL but only has the interior space of the ML. Also, the interior is much more spartan. Reminds me of Rover's interiors...but even more so.

Although I like the brand, I'm not a fan of the styling of the FX. I've had a couple of loaners, and it's a great vehicle, but I can't get past its looks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Although I like the brand, I'm not a fan of the styling of the FX. I've had a couple of loaners, and it's a great vehicle, but I can't get past its looks.

I'm not a huge fan of the looks either. I don't find it offensive, and there's some interesting beefy and curvy lines, but not a huge fan.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Just buy a Range Rover if you want a 'cool' SUV. It doesn't try to be hip like the FX. The reason I picked the Lexus 4Runneresque vehicle was because it will last forever and will look good 10 years from now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
Just buy a Range Rover if you want a 'cool' SUV. It doesn't try to be hip like the FX. The reason I picked the Lexus 4Runneresque vehicle was because it will last forever and will look good 10 years from now.

Yeah, but an RR goes for 100k, an RRS 75k and the budget in the OP is 50k.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yeah, but an RR goes for 100k, an RRS 75k and the budget in the OP is 50k.
Didn't know we were only talking about new.

GuP

Reaction score
No love for the new jags?

Also, how would a rear wheel MB E350/500 coupe fair in ****** weather?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP

The XF? Only the base model, with very few options/accessories, fits that budget. And they're so damn ugly with that front grille. They look like Fords from the front (and Aston Martins from the back, so maybe they average out to be nice? I dunno).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP

Also, how would a rear wheel MB E350/500 coupe fair in ****** weather?

RWD can handle winter weather well with appropriate tires.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
The XF? Only the base model, with very few options/accessories, fits that budget. And they're so damn ugly with that front grille. They look like Fords from the front (and Aston Martins from the back, so maybe they average out to be nice? I dunno).
I've heard lots of positives about this car, and must admit that the interior looks great, but I, too, find the exterior to be unattractive. I also feel it resembles a Ford too much.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Says the Floridian...

I disagree. I live in Montreal and have driven RWD Lexus LS460 and MB SLK320 in the snow. It's not fun.

I'm up there every week and everybody has snow tires on in winter.. is it a law or something?

rohde88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
RWD can handle winter weather well with appropriate tires.

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I'm up there every week and everybody has snow tires on in winter.. is it a law or something?

It's just a practical solution!

RWD with snow tires, just do it
nod[1].gif

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP
Keep the info coming!

How reliable are porsches in terms of owning for long term? I am thinking maybe I can get a used one and just finance it....their old models don't look different from the newer editions..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-C4...item27b0b8a441

Very reliable. And because they don't change their styling, they don't lose their value. That is all.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Wouldn't buy it off eBay, but have you considered maybe a Porsche Cayman? http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=274572111 Might be a sound choice. Certified used 2008 Cayman S for $52k? Looks great, isn't going to be replaced anytime soon and will beat an Audi A5. Sure, it's on the sporty side of "luxury" but I think you will get along with it just fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads