1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

$500 Navy Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RL Beasley, Apr 25, 2013.

1. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

This

2. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I would say so. It's not like Brooks Brothers is the be all end all of suits but it's a solid, middle of the road suit and you'd be hard pressed to find harsh criticism of the basic 1818 line of their stuff.

I haven't seen the cheaper ones in person like the Brooks Cool or suiting separates so maybe those are the outlet ones? Or maybe there's even a notch below that.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

The BB outlet is filled with 346 suits, which you want to avoid. Pick up a suiting essentials suit from a real BB store tomorrow (May 22nd) during its corporate incentive sale for $420 or an a1818 Fitzgerald for $700. Or, just go to Suit Supply. Problem solved.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Aha... 346. I'd forgotten about them, probably for good reason.

5. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Yeah. The 346 is the suit that is carried at the outlets, and it is to be avoided. But what's the deal with the suiting essentials that is on sale for $420?

6. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

I just looked on the web site, and it looks like that price is for the jacket only, and the trousers are another $178.

7. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Thoughts on BB "Suiting Essentials"?

8. New Shoes1

Now take that $600 total and multiply it by 0.3 to come up with $420 plus tax. The corporate incentive sale is today (Wednesday) only and allows 30% off most purchases, including suits.

9. New Shoes1

No personal experience, but SA's have said Suiting Essentials is a step up from the old Brooksease line. I had Brooksease suits a long time ago and they were fine for a starter suit for someone just out of school. FWIW, the Suiting Essentials is the Regent cut.

10. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Just an update****

Some encouragement. I should have updated ages ago, But in September I broke down and had a suit made from scratch. I called around several local tailors for pricing. I got a hold of one tailor who said his cheapest suits start at $800, but he had an overstock of a certain fabric. I told him what I was willing to pay and he made me a suit for $600. I went over my budget a bit but I am blown away by the results. I am taking custom to a new extreme. I am done with off the rack. I will only get custom shirts and jackets from here on out.