1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

5 things to do in this lifetime

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vc2000, Sep 12, 2004.

1. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have a climbed a few mountains, just none recently (ah, the good ol' days of being single, no real job, no responsibilities).

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Well-Known Member

Did you climb any other of the seven summits?

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

I have 3 comments here:

1. I am truly jealous about the Augusta thing, my boss plays there every year, and has for the last 22

2. Why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, when their is a comfortable seat right there in first-class, with a nice lady serving drinks.

3. I once argued in a court, not the Supreme Court mind you, and almost got 30 days for contempt.

Would love to go to Morocco, I did kinda scuba dive a ship wreck once, in the Bahamas, they have an old James Bond set in Nassau you can dive in.

4. GQ Lawyer

The Rookie - I have climbed Aconcagua and Denali. I had planned on climbing Kilimanjaro in 2002, but my wedding plans sort of interfered...... I have given up all my climbing (rock, ice, and mountaineering) since then. Sigh - memories.....

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I know several people who have done kilamanjaro - my understanding was that it requires no technical skill just stamina. I am impressed by Everest, I don't know anybody who has done that.

6. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

One more really important thing to do before I die, and it has been to long ago and another topic made me remeber the good days of doing this:

Have lunch at the Taco Stand, Tail-gate at Sanford Stadium and catch one more game, go to The Grill for a greasy burger, and to reminisce the good ole days of Hershel.

7. globetrotter

nightowl,

jumping out of a plane is a fantastic rush, better than some of your worse sex, I would say. I wouldn't mind doing it again, its been years since I did it, and I have a feeling that I might not enjoy it as much, not be mention that I would be scared of snapping my legs, and jumping out of a civillian plane would feel a little like playing paint ball or something.

8. GQ Lawyer

On the way home, grab a box from Gutherie's and some herby-balls (if Herbie's was still open).  Gotta love Athens in the Fall.

9. mnemonic

mnemonic Well-Known Member

1. write an excellent book
    2. learn several more languages
    3. become much better than i am at piano and guitar
    4. live at a taoist temple for a while.
    5. die in the gutter after a long and lovely life.

10. Youngbutstylish

Youngbutstylish Member

I've got a growing list I started a few years ago and here are 5 of my favorites
    1. Own (or atleast drive) a Ferrari
    2. Move to Paris
    3. Run with the Bulls in Pamplona
    4. Get published
    5. Learn 3 languages (or more)
    If all goes as planned I will move to Paris for a couple of years after the summer and I'm already working on one of my languages.

11. globetrotter

ybs,

good choices, all do-able. good luck

12. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

1. Start my own business. 2. See a great white during a dive. 3. Blow 100k on clothes within a single day. (If point 1 works out [​IMG] ) 4. Make a parachute jump. 5. Live to be 100 in good health.

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Here are 5 on my list. These are my "selfish" goals, as opposed to my "family goals" (see kids through college etc.)

1: Drive the Nuerbergring in a fast sports car

2: Climb the NE Spur (direct) on Les Droits in the Alps

3: Write a book

4: Hike a long trail

5: Spend a whole summer traveling in Europe

14. globetrotter

kai,

I have a cousin who is a lawyer who, when first discussing partnership asked for the summer off, every 2 years. he then spent that time hiking in europe with his family.

15. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

Where do you live Kai? Because if it is in Europe you can just drive to the ring and buy yourself some ringtime. I think it's about 10 euros per lap or something.

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I live in the States. I'm thinking that at some point, I will go to Europe, purchase a sports car while I am there, drive it around Europe, then ship it home to the States. I could knock out 3 of these 5 in one trip. Now I just need to convince my wife that a trip to the Pagani factory is in order.

17. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

(Roy @ 21 Dec. 2004, 4:59) Where do you live Kai? Because if it is in Europe you can just drive to the ring and buy yourself some ringtime. I think it's about 10 euros per lap or something.
    I live in the States. Â I'm thinking that at some point, I will go to Europe, purchase a sports car while I am there, drive it around Europe, then ship it home to the States. Â I could knock out 3 of these 5 in one trip. Â Now I just need to convince my wife that a trip to the Pagani factory is in order.
    Forget Pagani. Get a Spyker. So much cooler.

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I have to say I don't really like the Spyker. Lots of bling, not much performance. Not really my style.

19. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Writing a book is a lot easier in these days of self publishing, particularly if it's non-fiction. If anyone wants advice or assistance let me know. I'd be happy to help, and definitely experienced most of the pitfalls the first time around. GQL, Everest is indeed impressive. Have wanted to do this (oddly enough) ever since I read Into Thin Air. [​IMG]

20. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

(Roy @ 21 Dec. 2004, 5:12) Forget Pagani. Get a Spyker. So much cooler.
    I have to say I don't really like the Spyker. Â Lots of bling, not much performance. Â Not really my style.
    On the contrary, there's loads of performance. The guys of Top Gear absolutely loved it and the Stig put it right up there with Lambo in the lap times. And they were only driving the prototype, not even the fully balanced production car.