• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5 things to do in this lifetime

vc2000

Reaction score
Forum Members:

I am reviewing my Top 100 Things I should do in this Lifetime as I have a birthday coming up.  A fun thing to review each year and add new things as I complete some items.

I thought it might be fun to share the some ideas but to limit it to 5.

To kick it off I will include some  of mine- not the highest priority or personal ones but just a few interesting ones.

1.  Read a set of encyclopedias from cover to cover.
2.  Teach a subject that I have passion for
3.  Breakfast with orangutans
4.  Visit all seven continents
5.  Learn to slow dance

quill

Reaction score
Great topic (and inspiring, too&#33
wink.gif
. I can't wait to hear more responses. Let's see: 1. Live long enough to attend my two toddler girls' weddings. 2. Help heal and release a bald eagle back into its natural habitat. 3. Stand on the ancient Greek stage of Epidaurus (says the one-time actor). 4. See some glimpse of the spiritual world (pre-mortem). 5. Feel like I gave something back to the world before I go. I'm lucky enough to say that I've been blessed with a full life, and only regret my lack of contributing more to those less fortunate.

BjornH

Reaction score
I should be able to answer this.

in no particular order...

* Parachute from an airplaine
* Buy a Kiton or perhaps a bespoke Saville Row suit
* Visit Australia and Antartica (this probably involves Chile as well)
* Learn to play the piano

And a bunch of other things that are even less likely to happen

B

edited for a missing n

quill

Reaction score
I should be able to answer this. in no particular order... * Parachute from an airplaine * Buy a Kiton or perhaps a bespoke Saville Row suit * Visit Australia and Antartica (this probably involves Chile as well) * Learn to play the piano And a buch of other things that are even less likely to happen B
Jo, Jag tror att dem skull vara ganska lätta att göra. Lycka till med alla. (Men kanske det är svÃ¥rt att hoppa i fallskärm frÃ¥n en flygplan i en Kiton i Antarktis. Â
biggrin.gif
 )

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's wierd is that the ones that I had when I was in high school I have accomplished (pretty much all of them) and the new ones all are dependent on other people -

1. see my son happily married and meet my grandchildren

2. take my son to my favorite places (spots in europe and asia)

3. see my son go to a good university

4. visit antartica (hey, I'm not copying, this was really on my list)

5. live to be older than my grandfather when he died, and in just as good mental and physical health.

and, if along the way I can snack on an oragnatang, great..

vc2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vc2000,12 Sep. 2004, 01:18
3. Â Breakfast with orangutans
For some reason, this made me crack up...i just didn't expect to see it on the list. Â However, I can imagine what an interesting experience it would be. Â Or, did you mean Orangutans for breakfast? Â
tounge.gif

Oops I thought I better clarify. Â I meant breakfast with orangutans not the other way around. Â Breakfast with orangutans is a low impact way for locals to make money via tourism and not have to alter/destroy the jungle. Â As I understand it the orangutans are more active in the mornings thus breakfast is preferred over dinner when they would all be sleeping. http://specials.ft.com/bustravmay2001/FT3HMJBQHMC.html

Leo Jay

Reaction score
*sing the National Anthem at Yankee Stadium
*have a crossword puzzle published in the NYTimes

cigarguy_MI

Reaction score
In no particular order:

Eat at El Bulli
Smoke a Davidoff Chateau Latour 1989
Visit all the wonders of the world
live long enough to see my great grandkids
buy a vineyard in France to retire with the love of my life

Nonk

Reaction score
*sing the National Anthem at Yankee Stadium
I agree, God save the Queen would add a touch of class to the proceedings there.
smile.gif
My main one is- 1. Fly into space (can someone lend me £200k for Virgin Galactic?) I agree with visiting the Antarctic, I applied for a job there once, but did not get it.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the things I want to accomplish are somewhat realistic, and then somewhat a dream.

1. Play Augusta National and St. Andrews in the same week.

2. Finally have a successful enough business my wife can quit work.

2A. Sell more Grensons. (Just had to throw that one in)

3. Enjoy my 50th wedding Anniversary, and be able to walk and talk sanely at the same time.

4. Snowboard one more time in Sun Valley, and not blow my knee out.

5. See all of my nieces and nephews graduate college.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few more:

1) Climb Everest or K2, either will do. Northface would be super awesome, but probably harder than I could ever do, even given the max in conditioning and prep work.

2) Run an ultra-marathon or the Ironman. Did a few marathons (very boring and long races), but to be able to say that you've run over 50 miles at a go? That would be cool. More attainable than the Ironman, since I can't swim worth jack.

3) Design a really great casual jacket that will become a classic that nutjobs like us will discuss in the future.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Read a set of encyclopedias from cover to cover.

Did this in 4th grade (I was smarter than I am now.) It was the Encyclopedia Canadiana, but still...

5. Learn to slow dance]
Can tango (the Argentine style) passably. Does that count?

visit antartica
Me too. A non-trivial part of my decision to do atmospheric sciences. Haven't been on an expedition yet, but still, quite doable in my field.

Learn to play the piano

Unless you mean as well as Thracozaag, highly overrated.

Buy a Kiton or perhaps a bespoke Saville Row suit
Not so hard to do. Paypal me $1500 (maybe even less) and I'll get you the former. Do you mean full retail? You're on your own then.

Eric

Reaction score
1.  Life in France and learn the language and culture through immersion.
2.  Ditto Italy.
3.  Have the cashflow to retire at 35 (though will probably still work for the challenge of it).
4.  Retire my mother before she gets a chance to do it herself.
5.  Raise a boy into a man, though I don't want to get married (I guess I'll adopt or something)

One thing I'd love to do is to have dinner with another me from the present, 10 years ago, and 10 years from now (*edit and I guess you could throw an Orangutan in there too*).  That would be hot.

Eric

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a guy who could fedex us an orangatang. everybody just has to chip in by paypal $200. then we could send him around the country and everybody would get a chance to have a meal with him.
cool.gif
you do know that I am kidding, right?
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads