1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

5' 7" what's your jacket length?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylenewbie, Aug 18, 2011.

1. stylenewbie

stylenewbie Well-Known Member

I'm about 5' 7" and I was wondering what jacket length other people my height wear.

I'm still struggling with the proper length but for me it seems to be around 29".

My last tailor shortened a jacket to 28.5" which felt too short, but it's really difficult to get a gauge of your own suit length even with a mirror. Using the height/2-4 I get 29.5"...I have shortish arms and legs.

2. facet

facet Well-Known Member

What are you measuring from? My suit length measurements are stated to be around 29-28.5" but really seems to vary from suit to suit. I still don't understand where the point of reference is supposed to be for a jacket length measurement. I just know where the length seems to look the best on me based on where it lines up with my knuckles. I'm 5'7" as well.

Edit: Nevermind, I just googled it. Interesting. I'll measure my jackets tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. thisfits

thisfits Well-Known Member

Take pictures with the camera about 20 feet away from you, and wear a pair of trousers that fit well and contrast with the jacket. I've found that gives a much clearer idea of how the length looks on you than just looking in the mirror.

FWIW, I'm a little under 5'7", and 28.75" to 29" seems to be my sweet spot. 28.5" is a tad short; 29.5" a tad long.

4. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

Does half an inch really make that much of a difference?

5. molayo

molayo Active Member

I think if half an inch is in your acceptable range, it won't matter but out of the range, it will. I am 5'8" and 29.5'' to 30'' seems ok. But with 29'' I feel it's short and 30.5" appears to be too long.

6. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

I'm 5'8" I go for 28.5". But seriously, your height is not the only factor in determining length of your jacket.

7. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

rough guide to the second knuckle, agree that mirror view is subjective - if u take a photo you'll see yourself as others do. total height is misleading - we all have diff leg to body proportions.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Well-Known Member

Not that simple as you need to factor in:
    - your proportion - leg, body & arm ratio etc.
    - your build
    - type of suit
    - cloth

FWIW - I'm the same height.

Have a click at all my suits for visual cues http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/tagged/WWIW

9. spidercan

spidercan Well-Known Member

+1, heck .025" out of the range can throw things off.

10. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

29 is about right. Go with your preference from there but go gradual, 1/4" increments, longer or shorter.

Doesn't camera angle distort the accuracy of the image? I am more comfortable judging by looking in a mirror. Stand at different distances from the mirror and different angles.

11. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

^^ The thing with mirror is that if you're standing too close, say if your room is small, the jacket would seem longer than it really is since you're looking down.

12. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

28.5''-29'' works for me.

13. NeopreneJeans

NeopreneJeans Well-Known Member

Depends on proportion, doesn't it. I find 27" is best.

14. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

My jackets are all about 29" (from collar seam to hem down the back). But I have a long torso and arms relative to my legs. The mirror, non-distorted photos and someone else with a good eye can all help you judge. Agree it helps to look from a bit of distance.

It's also not just about the exact back measurement. Some jackets are balanced differently (e.g., longer in front than in back) and that can affect the overall look. So, it might look short from behind but fine from another angle.

15. thisfits

thisfits Well-Known Member

This.

I've found I need a little extra length to get around my, erm, significant derriere.

16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

5'6 here, 29 is probably about right but I go for 28.5 to lengthen the leg line and have a more modern fit.

17. zerostyle

zerostyle Well-Known Member

Are people measuring on the back from bottom of collar to bottom of the jacket?

I'm 5'9 and find that right around 29" is perfect for me, so I find it odd that 29" would be correct for a 5'7 person.

Maybe I just have a short torso?

18. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's right. Collar seam to hem straight down.

19. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Tailors measure from the edge of the undercollar where it is sewn to the jacket, down the center back seam to the bottom edge of the jacket hem. Flip the collar up to expose the undercollar. Measuring for reselling jackets online may have a different measuring method but that is not how you want to measure if you are communicating with a tailor. You need to be sure how your tailor measures if you start giving him/her measurements to avoid confusion and mistakes.

20. ennui

ennui Well-Known Member

5'5", jacket length around 27.5" BOC-hem for me. I have a shorter torso and longer legs, and I like my jacket length a tiny bit shorter than the accepted norm.