1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

4:30 PM Wedding: Morning Coat or DJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Doc Martin, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

But whichever you wear, just make sure it's a classic cut, is not powder blue or peach, and doesn't have a ruffle-front shirt.
    Man, you trippin'. Jason Biggs rocked dat gig in American Pie! [​IMG]
    I am picturing a solid navy or charcoal three-piece, crisp white shirt with French cuffs and a solid silk tie that compliments/ coordinates with the bride or color scheme.
    Were you possibly thinking of this? [​IMG]

2. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Wow that's terrible. Don't do that.

3. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

Man, you trippin'. Jason Biggs rocked dat gig in American Pie! [​IMG]

Were you possibly thinking of this?

[​IMG]

Um, no.

4. Doc Martin

Doc Martin Well-Known Member

That suit looks to be a hybrid of a morning suit, a regular 3-piece, and DJ. Maybe it is the monochrome look, but I think that a proper wedding suit should have at least a different color tie.

I am now set on black-tie, even though it won't be exactly proper given the time of day- 1 hour is not that big of a deal.

I've already got the marcella shirt with bib, TALL detachable collar, a proper low-cut 3 button waistcoat, and bespoke bowtie. I've probably spent more money on accessories than buying a cheap tux. But if I had bought the cheap tux, I would have also been stuck with cheap accessories.

Now I'll look like a million bucks under my cheap tux. [​IMG]

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I would tend to second your choice of going with the tux, although I certainly don't claim any special authority as an arbiter elegantiae. The wedding is going to be fairly late in the afternoon and most of the event will be in the evening. A very large percentage of the population regard the tux as proper wedding attire regardless of the hour of the day (deplorable, I know, but true.) Had the wedding been scheduled for two hours earlier, I would definitely have advised going the morning suit/stroller/lounge suit route.

The notion that the groom should not be differently attired from the guests is a little curious. Nobody, but nobody would dare say that to the bride! Actually, the lounge suit is no doubt the most practical solution, and it bridges the time problem without difficulty, but I have a hunch most brides will find it disappointingly mundane.

I have been married three times, but never in a tux. First and third were in lounge suits. The second was in rented morning attire--that was awful: The temperature was 102, the little church was not air-conditioned and very, very overcrowded, and the service was a long one (included a nuptial mass). I still have the suit I bought for my third wedding, and it's giving good service after almost 12 years. I could say the same about my wife as well.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

I could say the same about my wife as well.

Third time's the charm, eh? [​IMG]

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Third time's the charm, eh? [​IMG]

So far, so good...I guess!

8. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Morning coat.

I think he's already married by now.

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Morning coat.