• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 Piece Patch?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about this topic too. I have a roll of tweed and I need to hurry and make something with it while it's still cold.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
My two cents: nothing wrong with a two- or three-patch pockets coat for a three-piece suit, but I would get regular welted pockets for the vest, especially if the cloth is worsted (actually, I think patch pockets look wrong on most worsteds anyway, coats included, but that's probably just me). Mind you, there is a picture of a patch ticket pocket in that old anglomania thread (remember? It's on a blueish tweed coat), and it looks rather neat, if slightly affected. So small patch pockets can look good even when prominently displayed. But it's certainly a risky move. EDIT: I see it's a Donny. In that case patch pockets would look good even if it's a worsted tweed, of course. Not that I like worsted tweeds, but still.
Patch pockets look bad on most jackets.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Patch pockets look bad on most jackets.

Neah...won't post it this time.

Too easy.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't hold back on my account.

Like most things, it loses its shock value from overuse.

We'll leave it dormant for now, and let it revivify.

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Like most things, it loses its shock value from overuse. We'll leave it dormant for now, and let it revivify. - B
That's funny, I never get over the shock of many of your outfits
wink.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's funny, I never get over the shock of many of your outfits
wink.gif

Thank you...I try to keep things fresh.

You're clever to keep us guessing about how you dress, however...we only get those tantalizing bits and pieces.

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you...I try to keep things fresh.
So fresh your taste could almost be described as unripe. Fresco with patch pockets, hopsack; what's next, top stitching on tweed?
laugh.gif
You're clever to keep us guessing about how you dress, however...we only get those tantalizing bits and pieces. - B
Well I watch a lot of those shows about real life murders (You know, how the frustrated geek goes on a spree sort of thing?) so it keeps me one step ahead of over enthusiastic fans.
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Top stitching on tweed is a bad idea on so may levels. Where did you hear about this and why would you want it?
I thought it was about as classic a detail as it gets. Come to think of it, I can't remember too many good looking tweed jackets without top/double stitching.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I thought it was about as classic a detail as it gets.
It is. See above.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I thought it was about as classic a detail as it gets. Come to think of it, I can't remember too many good looking tweed jackets without top/double stitching.
Top stitching is done by machine. What you might mean is a type of hand stitching called lapped stitching. It is an overlapped, "closed" seam. However, in the case of tweed, the material is too heavy and textured for this sort of treatment and the result would be clumsy, to say the least. Lapped stitiching is mostly for delicate cloths which react to humidity and can pucker, such as gabardine, silk, cotton and linen. Because they are usaully thin, smooth fabrics, there is the added bonus that you can see and appreciate the little hand sewn nubs that close the seams. Tweed top stitching is not classic, it was never common, at least not amongst tailors or clients with any claim to good taste and it certainly isn't traditional. I have seen some of Nino's clients get all there finer suits Super 100s and up with these lapped stitched seams to signify "custom made and hand work" but I dont like that. I have also seen worsted cashmere jackets in dark colors or tweedy patterns with this type of stitiching but I think that also looks overdone. It's often best on a pair of gabardine pants. I have also seen/done it on a pair of medium and light grey flannel pants for a sportier look.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ FNB - do you have any photos of lapped stitching next to topstitching? Curious about the visual difference as it sounds like everyone is generally talking about the same thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads