• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21st Birthday---- What to drink??

The_Game07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Drambuie.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll echo the suggestions to stick with beer while in the pub. And do hydrate before you go out. But in a completely different vein, a more enjoyable night might be a hit of purple microdot followed by Orange Crush!
smile.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Lagavulin neat, all night.

That would be my choice now, but not what I'd recommend for this situation.
I agree with the beer recc's -- but whether it's Guinness or something else, make sure it's good draft beer. There's a real difference. I like drinking Black & Tans in Irish pubs, as sort of a private irony and because they really do look cool.

If you're so inclined and have someone to get you home safely, you might try one shot of whiskey (or whatever) chased with a beer, just to experience the little rush it gives.

Regardless, happy pre-birthday, and have a good time.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long Island iced tea.
devil.gif

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
That would be my choice now, but not what I'd recommend for this situation.
I agree with the beer recc's -- but whether it's Guinness or something else, make sure it's good draft beer. There's a real difference. I like drinking Black & Tans in Irish pubs, as sort of a private irony and because they really do look cool.

If you're so inclined and have someone to get you home safely, you might try one shot of whiskey (or whatever) chased with a beer, just to experience the little rush it gives.

Regardless, happy pre-birthday, and have a good time.

You are the danger-man, eh?
boxing[1].gif

As for the OP, avoid sugar, alternate a glass of water or soda water between alcoholic drinks (to remain hydrated), and pick one drink and stick with it -- preferably whiskey, but if that is too harsh for you, stick with beer. Depending upon the quality of your local, you may want to avoid the draft if their tap hygiene is suspect ...
patch[1].gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Long Island iced tea.
devil.gif

He probably wants to remember at least a part of the evening.

Since you've never had alcohol before, if you want to enjoy it, I'd suggest vodka based drinks. Most people take awhile to warm up to bourbon or scotch. A rum & coke would probably be a good choice, as would the aforementioned G&T.

For beer in an Irish pub, go with Harp or Smithwick's. Guinness is wonderful, imho, but see the above re: bourbon or scotch.

groomin

Reaction score
If you wanna go the simple way: beers.

If there is a bar offering cockltails in the pub: cocktails like Apricot brandy sour, Sex on the beach, Blue lagoon, etc. are pretty good. The advantage is that they are diluted in fruit juices or sour mix, so the alcohol almost doesn't taste. The other advantage is that it tastes good and contains vitamins (fruit juices...).

Since those alcohols are diluted, they are less likely to get you drunk if you TAKE YOUR TIME to drink those.

A few simple steps to increase your chances of NOT getting drunk:
1- As said earlier, eat something before you drink. Never drink on an empty stomach!
2- Alternate drinks with some water during the night, so the alcohol gets diluted in your stomach and blood.
3- Drink slowly. If you drink a beer in 5 minutes, you are most likely to get drunk faster (especially if you drink another one over it) than drinking it in one hour.
4- Move during the night, try to walk a bit or dance, so the alcohol will be absorbed faster by your body.
5- The glasses of water before going to sleep are the best thing ever to make you feel better the next morning.

Hoping you enjoy your 21st night and hear how it went from you,
groomin'

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by groomin
...cocktails like Apricot brandy sour, Sex on the beach, Blue lagoon, etc. are pretty good. .... The other advantage is that it tastes good and contains vitamins (fruit juices...)...

He is turning 21, not into a girl.

Don't start your relationship with alcohol with fru fru drinks. With few exceptions, anything you drink should be clear, amber or nearly black. (exceptions are things like absinthe, mojitos, and things drunk on a beach or a poolside bar)

K

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by groomin

5- The glasses of water before going to sleep are the best thing ever to make you feel less crappy the next morning.

Edited for clarity.
Originally Posted by VKK3450

laugh.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

Hilarious! Go with beer. It's the best way for you to modulate your intake and it fits the bar. If you go with hard liquor, you're more likely to wind up very drunk sick, since you have no experience with it.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eat food - greasy food is good, slows absorption of the alcohol.
Drink water - until urine runs clear and drink water throughout the night.

Old adage = beer before liquor, never sicker; liquor before beer, in the clear (takes time for alcohol that you drink to enter your system so start hard and ease up later)

21 drinks is standard on your 21st. So being an Irish bar..

1. Guiness Stout - basically food
2. Martini - not Irish but ya gotta
3. Bushmills - Irish whisky
4. Middleton "
5. Redbreast "
6. Connemara "
7. Jameson "
8. Black Bush "
9. Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout - need some food after all those Irish whiskys
10. Murphys Stout - more stouty food
11,12. Irish car bomb - actually 2 drink equivalents here and by now you're so drunk you're promising to die for Ireland
13. Jaeger bomb - for energy in the second half
14. Vodka Red Bull - to prevent passing out
15,16. Mind Eraser - delicious and 2 drink equivalents
17. Harp - Irish lager, time to switch to beer
18. Murphys - Irish red
19. Smithwicks - Irish ale
20. O'Douls - nonalcoholic because you are at 0.3 BAC, might be Irish
21. Bloody Mary - some rehydration

Feel free to print out this handy guide and take it to the bar.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Eat food - greasy food is good, slows absorption of the alcohol. Drink water - until urine runs clear and drink water throughout the night. Old adage = beer before liquor, never sicker; liquor before beer, in the clear (takes time for alcohol that you drink to enter your system so start hard and ease up later) 21 drinks is standard on your 21st. So being an Irish bar.. 1. Guiness Stout - basically food 2. Martini - not Irish but ya gotta 3. Bushmills - Irish whisky 4. Middleton " 5. Redbreast " 6. Connemara " 7. Jameson " 8. Black Bush " 9. Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout - need some food after all those Irish whiskys 10. Murphys Stout - more stouty food 11,12. Irish car bomb - actually 2 drink equivalents here and by now you're so drunk you're promising to die for Ireland 13. Jaeger bomb - for energy in the second half 14. Vodka Red Bull - to prevent passing out 15,16. Mind Eraser - delicious and 2 drink equivalents 17. Harp - Irish lager, time to switch to beer 18. Murphys - Irish red 19. Smithwicks - Irish ale 20. O'Douls - nonalcoholic because you are at 0.3 BAC, might be Irish 21. Bloody Mary - some rehydration Feel free to print out this handy guide and take it to the bar.
I must try this sometime
bounce2.gif

hi-val

Reaction score
Doing that list is a great way to have your relatives posting your old clothes in the marketplace forum after you die from alcohol poisoning.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've tasted alcohol obviously lol, but never "drank" before. The most I've ever had at once was a taste of SoCo, a taste of everclear, and a taste of smirnoff, and when i say taste that's only like, one little swig.

Anyway, what kind of Jameson would be best? It's an Irish pub, and I know they've got the Redbreast, 12 year, and 18 yr, hell they may even have the Middleton.

Oh, I love Jamie's 18, but Jamie's 12 and water is just great. And in an Irish pub how can you go wrong? Redbreast is a little too bold for a virgeen, but Jamie's is really perfect.

Middleton just doesn't do it for me, though some swear by the stuff.

~ Huntsman

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Oh, I love Jamie's 18, but Jamie's 12 and water is just great. And in an Irish pub how can you go wrong? Redbreast is a little too bold for a virgeen, but Jamie's is really perfect. Middleton just doesn't do it for me, though some swear by the stuff. ~ Huntsman
Yeah Jameson 12 is a great "bar" whiskey. I tend to get that when I go out to bars (infrequent considering I don't have a fake).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads