• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21st Birthday---- What to drink??

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Well, thread title pretty much says it all. A week from tomorrow is my 21st birthday and I'll be at an Irish pub. It'll be my first time ever drinking, so I'd like to not die of alcohol poisoning, but I don't mind getting a little drunk or perhaps a lot drunk.

Taking any suggestions on something good that won't knock a newb's socks off!

I'd also rather have something I can actually drink throughout the night, not shots or carbombs or anything chugging like that.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Good lord. Didn't I answer this before? I hope you have responsible friends. Unless you're going alone, people are going to buy you shots and all kinds of stuff. Good luck.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It's actually not really friends. It's just my girlfriend and a ton of people I know through the bar, but aren't really friends. The bar is owned by my parents friends and it's the coolest place in our little college town.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Really....never a drink before?

Damn, do you not jay walk either?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Really....never a drink before?

Damn, do you not jay walk either?

Only when I'm feelin rascally
laugh.gif

I just never saw a need for it. Most people I know my age get drunk and act like ******* idiots (I think you may know a certain person on this forum this reminds you of), and I never wanted to be that kind of guy.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jamieson's and water.

After that, a Rob Roy, sweet, would be good.

I'm probably the wort person to ask as I drink a reasonble number of extremely well prepared cocktails, rather than an IV drip all night of whatever. Also hard to know what the bar is right -- even really good bars make awful drinks at times. A sidecar would also be a great choice if you can get a good one.

Best,
Huntsman

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jameson's and water is a nice suggestion. Or a nice scotch on the rocks. Then again, considering you've never had a drop of booze (I don't know if I believe that), might wanna go for a Bud Light or something.

You have a 99% chance of puking your brains out.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I've tasted alcohol obviously lol, but never "drank" before. The most I've ever had at once was a taste of SoCo, a taste of everclear, and a taste of smirnoff, and when i say taste that's only like, one little swig.

Anyway, what kind of Jameson would be best? It's an Irish pub, and I know they've got the Redbreast, 12 year, and 18 yr, hell they may even have the Middleton.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've tasted alcohol obviously lol, but never "drank" before. The most I've ever had at once was a taste of SoCo, a taste of everclear, and a taste of smirnoff, and when i say taste that's only like, one little swig. Anyway, what kind of Jameson would be best? It's an Irish pub, and I know they've got the Redbreast, 12 year, and 18 yr, hell they may even have the Middleton.
How much are you looking to spend? 18 yr will not be cheap at a bar.

m_wave

Reaction score
Gin and tonic is my choice.. however at an irish pub you are best to drink pints of beer... you won't get too drunk on beer too quickly just take it easy and perhaps only have 4 or 5 over the evening..

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've tasted alcohol obviously lol, but never "drank" before. The most I've ever had at once was a taste of SoCo, a taste of everclear, and a taste of smirnoff, and when i say taste that's only like, one little swig.

Anyway, what kind of Jameson would be best? It's an Irish pub, and I know they've got the Redbreast, 12 year, and 18 yr, hell they may even have the Middleton.

Do you even like the taste of hard alcohol? I'm a bourbon man myself but drinking stuff on the rocks has always been an acquired taste in my opinion. Your 21st might be a better night to try all those fruitty/girly/regrettable drinks you keep hearing about so that you don't see the unicorn coming until the end of the night and stabs you in the heart.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend beer as well but whatever you decide, the golden rule to avoid puking your brains out the first time out is NOT to mix differents kinds of booze. Stick to whatever it is you're drinking for the whole night and you'll greatly reduce your chances of puking. Also, eat before drinking but not too much though.

I was 13 the first time I puked my guts out from drinking
blush.gif

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Gin and tonic is my choice.. however at an irish pub you are best to drink pints of beer... you won't get too drunk on beer too quickly just take it easy and perhaps only have 4 or 5 over the evening..

+1 Good drink for a beginner

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are gonna be at an irish pub, enjoy some good beer. Mixed drinks and cocktails are nice, but a good pint of beer while chilling with your friends at a bar is nice too. try different kinds of beer, see what you like. Also, eat a little bit before you go out to drink.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics