1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

21 Shot dead at Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by texas_jack, Apr 16, 2007.

1. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

What's Circle K?

Three letters short of what this thread is becoming.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Three letters short of what this thread is becoming.

Just pray there's no blood.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

What's Circle K?

...strange things are afoot at the Cirkle K.

4. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

How sad that this thread has degenerated into this.

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

Hopefully the tangent about the negative connotation of "Oriental" as it refers to people was educational... if nothing else, it was repetitive!

But back on topic - I started to watch Old Boy tonight (the movie that some have said might have influenced the killer's thinking - and if you've seen the picture of Cho holding the hammer, it's hard to believe he didn't see the movie, or at least that still from the movie).

Driving around Northern Virginia today (as I do most every weekend) it was nice to see a lot of businesses have signs up supporting Virginia Tech - like one at a nursery which read "Hokie Hope -- Orange and Maroon Effect" and others stating that Virginia Tech is in our thoughts and prayers... also happened past a church where there were at least 100 teenagers holding candles in a prayer/remembrance service for the victims - many wearing orange and maroon...

6. Buickguy

Buickguy Well-Known Member

What's Circle K?

Cirkle K is a chain of convienence stores, primarily in the western U.S. if I am not mistaken. Another chain would be 7-11.

7. Buickguy

Buickguy Well-Known Member

...strange things are afoot at the Cirkle K.
    Rufus can help!
    [​IMG]

8. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

Well, this is interesting. I for one had no idea that "oriental" was offensive. Are all of its derivatives also offensive, ie. "the orient"; "The Orient Express" and so on?

I'm no genius, but smart enough to learn to avoid offending after being told.

9. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Well, this is interesting. I for one had no idea that "oriental" was offensive. Are all of its derivatives also offensive, ie. "the orient"; "The Orient Express" and so on?

I'm no genius, but smart enough to learn to avoid offending after being told.

The word, in and of itself, isn't offensive. It's only offensive when used to refer to a person of Asian descend. So, for example, oriental carpet is perfectly normal.

10. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

retronotmetro backed me up and he is part chinese. interesting that everyone chose to ignore that.

labelking also backed me up, sort of, and he is of chinese descent. my friend's father, who is japanese, uses the word.

I am full Chinese, and if you go back and read what I said, I didn't back you up, I just guessed (correctly) that you were going to trot out the old "geographic specificity" argument. I understand that argument, but don't agree with it. I didn't pass judgment on your usage because you hadn't come forward to confirm your position.

If someone says "please, call me Bob," do you say "fuck you, I'm calling you 'Robert' because it is more specific and correct?"

11. amerikajinda

12. tweedlesinpink

tweedlesinpink Well-Known Member

i google Blazer5505 to no avail, except for one report...
    how did they figure out this particular ID was his?

13. amerikajinda

Not sure... I read about it here: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...22071cho1.html maybe they found some info on his computer.... He was kind of active on eBay - having sold several books, CDs, and a Texas Instruments calculator — a T1-83 that was loaded with games. Additionally, he sold 2006 Peach Bowl tickets for $182.50. The football game in Atlanta was a matchup between Virginia Tech and the University of Georgia.

14. amerikajinda

Did anyone else wonder why the killer might have purchased all those toy baby ducks? Remember those games at carnivals... where you had to... oh, nevermind. I don't even want to think about it!

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Obviously, judging by the title, he wanted to have Fun! Rubber Ducks.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

i do care about people's feelings and thoughts. i do, however, care about objective truth more than people's opinions.

I call bullshit on that. Nobody has suggested that you say anything that's not "objectively true".

17. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

18. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

So, does anyone want to meet a single with an STD?
    Check the google ad for Cho.
    [​IMG]