• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21 Shot dead at Virginia Tech

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buickguy
Under federal law, from that moment on, he was a prohibited person (GCA '68). This should have shown up on his NICS (brady law) check when he attempted to purchase. If the purchase was made prior to his commitment, he was required to surrend all lirearms to the local authorities after his commitment

The U. Tex. 1966 incident is what cause most major police juridictions to train and deploy some form of special response team.

Yeah, this was reclarified in the FOPA '86 as well. Therefore, his purchase should have been illegal...

Prohibited persons:

1. Anyone who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year, excluding crimes of imprisonment that are related to the regulation of business practices.

2. Anyone who is a fugitive from justice.

3. Anyone who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.

4. Anyone who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.

5. Any alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.

6. Anyone who has been discharged from the US Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.

7. Anyone who, having been a citizen of the United states, has renounced his or her citizenship.

8. Anyone that is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.

9. Anyone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. (See the Lautenberg Amendment.)

10. Anyone who is under the age of 18 for a shotgun or rifle, or under age 21 for a handgun. (See 18 U.S.C. § 922 (b)(1).)

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You amateur "psychiatrists" are taking quite a liberal intepretation of anyone being admitted to a mental health facility as being "mentally defective,"

The authorities, per report, are attempting to obtain his medical records through a warrant. Until details of his actual psychiatric diagnosis is available, one must assume he was not "mentally defective" and thus legally able to purchase a firearm.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Buick and drizz are refering to the fact that he may have been committed to a mental institution (as reported by some news source), which is the second part of the sentence
4. Anyone who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
I think it is still unclear now whether or not he was committed or went to that mental institution voluntarily.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, the paper seemed to suggest he was commited involentarily

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, this was reclarified in the FOPA '86 as well. Therefore, his purchase should have been illegal...

Prohibited persons:

1. Anyone who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year, excluding crimes of imprisonment that are related to the regulation of business practices.

2. Anyone who is a fugitive from justice.

3. Anyone who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.

5. Any alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.

6. Anyone who has been discharged from the US Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.

7. Anyone who, having been a citizen of the United states, has renounced his or her citizenship.

8. Anyone that is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.

9. Anyone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. (See the Lautenberg Amendment.)

10. Anyone who is under the age of 18 for a shotgun or rifle, or under age 21 for a handgun. (See 18 U.S.C. § 922 (b)(1).)

I haven't heard anything that would suggest this guy falls under #4. I've heard nothing about a judicial proceeding resulting in a determination that he was a "mental defective", nor anything about his having been committed.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I haven't heard anything that would suggest this guy falls under #4. I've heard nothing about a judicial proceeding resulting in a determination that he was a "mental defective", nor anything about his having been committed.

Although I now see from some other posts that there may be reports indicating this.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
I read in some Korean newspapers that the killer's parents tried to commit suicide after hearing what their son did:

https://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/d...0704180092.asp

This is really sad. I wouldn't be surprised if both of his parents have already committed suicide. Reputation matters a great deal in the Korean culture, and I don't see how they will be able to look anyone in the eye after this. Of course, this is not a comment on whether they are responsible, but an observation based on my interactions with Korean friends and acquaintances.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
yeah, the paper seemed to suggest he was commited involentarily

I believe not. I believe it was following a court's declaring him mentally unbalanced after he stalked two girls

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, he sent a package full of **** to NBC.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I believe not. I believe it was following a court's declaring him mentally unbalanced after he stalked two girls

That sounds pretty involuntary to me...

smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I thought that I had seen that the court sent him for involentary observation. I am not familiar with how that works.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I thought that I had seen that the court sent him for involentary observation. I am not familiar with how that works.

That would be the next step.

The court would not declare someone mentally irregular, and then release them back out into society unchecked.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That would be the next step.

The court would not declare someone mentally irregular, and then release them back out into society unchecked.

I realize you're speaking colloquially, but it occurs to me that many people probably wouldn't consider it flattering to be described as "mentally regular".

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The NBC package contents will be shown on Nightly News at 6:30

lawyerdad

Reaction score
BTW, he sent a package full of **** to NBC.

Just saw the CNN headline. Before that, I inferred from your post that he'd really sent them a package of ****, not just, you know, ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads