1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

21 Shot dead at Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by texas_jack, Apr 16, 2007.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Anti-depressants will exacerbate symptoms and cause new problems. The brain is very complex and tweaking a seratonin level here and there could really mess things up.

I would say, very few people actually have a problem so severe as to warrant a medication like an SSRI. Almost everybody has issues. I feel 100000x better about myself after wearing a suit and improving my diet.

I'm guessing you're not a doctor. Most mentally ill people do crazy shit when they don't take their medicine. What you said is complete urban-legend bullshit. Read a book.

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

I guessing you're not a doctor. Most mentally ill people do crazy shit when they don't take their medicine. What you said is complete urban-legend bullshit. People like you contribute to people like him not taking his medicine. Read a book.

Riiiiiight, that is why I've been prescribed prozac (but never took it) and many people I know have taken or have been prescribed prozac. Some people might need medication, but I certainly don't know anyone who does.

Allopathic docs don't know jack.

3. texas_jack

Riiiiiight, that is why I've been prescribed prozac (but never took it) and many people I know have taken or have been prescribed prozac. Some people might need medication, but I certainly don't know anyone who does.

Allopathic docs don't know jack.

So you want to go against the kind of medicine practiced my educated people all over earth? Your funeral. And I mean that literally.

4. tiecollector

So you want to go against the kind of medicine practiced my educated people all over earth? Your funeral. And I mean that literally.

Well, if the prozac was supposed to help this guy, it obviously didn't. And I believe it made things worse, just my own suspicion.

5. texas_jack

Well, if the prozac was supposed to help this guy, it obviously didn't. And I believe it made things worse, just my own suspicion.

I'll bet you money right now that he wasn't taking it when he did it.

By the way, ask any psychiatrist what the biggest leap made in the field is and they will all tell you that it is the modern medicines that we have to manage mental illness. 50 years ago the people you are decribing as "medicated" would be permanently institutionalized. You'd have never met them.

6. tiecollector

I'll bet you money right now that he wasn't taking it when he did it.
    If I were a betting man, I'd be happy to take your money. However, "taking it" is relative since it takes a while for things to return back to normal. We'll see what comes up. The columbine shooters were also taking anti-depressants.
    The same psychiatrists who diagnose the myth that is ADD/ADHD, et al? The same ones who entered the profession to figure out what was wrong with themselves?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

50 years ago, they would have been lobotomized.

8. texas_jack

If I were a betting man, I'd be happy to take your money. However, "taking it" is relative since it takes a while for things to return back to normal. We'll see what comes up. The columbine shooters were also taking anti-depressants.

The same psychiatrists who diagnose the myth that is ADD/ADHD, et al? The same ones who entered the profession to figure out what was wrong with themselves?

Many people go into fields because of curiosity about themselves. Plenty of firebugs become firemen.

ADHD is not a myth. There are reliable tools that can be used to diagnose ADHD and can be repeated with the same results by anyone. We know as much about psychiatry as we do any other field of medicine and in many cases more.

9. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

How did he get this far without anyone taking him down? Jeez.

It happened in a gun-free zone.

Gun-free to keep people safe!

10. Kaga

Kaga Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you're not a doctor. Most mentally ill people do crazy shit when they don't take their medicine. What you said is complete urban-legend bullshit. Read a book.

Riiiiiight, that is why I've been prescribed prozac (but never took it) ...
    If I may, the latter poster is not helping his case here...

11. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

there's no such thing as a gun free zone as far as i understand it. schools (note: not colleges) are allowed to be gun free but other than that it's hunting season.

12. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

This is hilarious.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm always trying to be funny, particularly in a thread like this one. [​IMG]

13. Millerp

Millerp Well-Known Member

I think he meant just Virginia.

Isn't the Pentagon in Arlington, VA?

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

Yes, the Pentagon is in Arlington.

JB

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

There's now all this "evidence" that the shooter was not "mentally right": setting fire, stalking women, writing morbid tales...etc. I recall that the Columbine shooters had the same behavior prior to their mass killing.

It begs the question, what exactly can we, as a society, do about people who exhibit this kind of behavior. Take all people who are loners with behavioral problems, it must be an exceedingly small minority that subsequently commit such atrocious acts.

Do we put them under constant surveillance? Do we commit them to an institution against their will? Given our innate love of personal freedom as Americans, what CAN we do?

16. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

I am amazed by how fast the police are working. This shooting only occured about 48 hours ago and investigators are slowly piecing together a motive. I've never seen the police work this fast before.

JB

17. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

I am amazed by how fast the police are working. This shooting only occured about 48 hours ago and investigators are slowly piecing together a motive. I've never seen the police work this fast before.

JB

You can tell how "serious" this whole shooting incidence has been, when even the President of the US attended the ceremony, not to mention that flags are ordered at half-staff

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I am amazed by how fast the police are working. This shooting only occured about 48 hours ago and investigators are slowly piecing together a motive.
    Well - the guy left a long and detailed note explaining his motive... That definitely helps

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Well - the guy left a long and detailed note explaining his motive... That definitely helps

And his motive was what? URL please.

Jon.