• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious question. Have the Red Sox given up?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tied for 1st! A sweep of the Sox! A Verlander masterpiece, tonight. It felt like a playoff game around the ballpark.

tullytra

Reaction score

Tied for 1st! A sweep of the Sox! A Verlander masterpiece, tonight. It felt like a playoff game around the ballpark.

Delmon Young just has stretches where he decides to be a beast (before the All-Star break). It was good to see him golf one on the third time around against Sale. Now I want to see them do work against non White Sox.

Last edited:

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when Delmon was being compared to Albert Belle power wise. On another note, it really pisses me off the Chipper Jones is going to retire. He clearly isn't done yet and could go another year. 500 HRs so close too.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember when Delmon was being compared to Albert Belle power wise. On another note, it really pisses me off the Chipper Jones is going to retire. He clearly isn't done yet and could go another year. 500 HRs so close too.

he'll be a 1st ballot HOF'er if he retires tomorrow though... he's pretty much like Derek Jeter where they'll be voted in no question on the merits of his team having a winning tradition and individual accomplishments.

I was at the dog park yesterday in Williamsburg, and there was this guy with his huge 120lbs 1.5yr old Alaskan Malamute.... he looked tall athletic and had on a Orioles hat.... I asked if he was here for the baseball games, but it turned out he just liked the new Orioles logo/designs...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

yup thats my 6mth old Boston Terrier actually jumping up and being a masshole to a dog clearly larger/stronger/faster/older than him.

I do have a suspicion that the guy could of been an actual player from the Orioles though.....when I looked the roster up later that day he did look really like Xavier Avery... and the timing works out too.

Last edited:

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Strasburg is getting shut down after two more starts. I completely understand the reason they are doing this medically and support it. What I don't understand is how they went about working with this innings limit. The team is definitely playoff bound and he is their ace. Anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics knew he was going to be finished before the season ended So instead of having him pitch from opening day until he reached his limit, why not a) have him shut down for spring training, and start his own preseason regimen once the season starts so that he becomes a starter a month or so into the season ensuring that he'd typically hit his innings limits deep into the postseason or b) stagger his starts so that he pitches every 6th game (instead of 5) so that he goes the full season?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So Strasburg is getting shut down after two more starts. I completely understand the reason they are doing this medically and support it. What I don't understand is how they went about working with this innings limit. The team is definitely playoff bound and he is their ace. Anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics knew he was going to be finished before the season ended So instead of having him pitch from opening day until he reached his limit, why not a) have him shut down for spring training, and start his own preseason regimen once the season starts so that he becomes a starter a month or so into the season ensuring that he'd typically hit his innings limits deep into the postseason or b) stagger his starts so that he pitches every 6th game (instead of 5) so that he goes the full season?

I think the answer to most of these questions is going to be "consistency". Also, no one believed this team was going to do this well at the start of the season. a) You need your spring training time to get in shape for the regular season. b) I don't think you should go to a six man rotation just to accomdate one guy, who's coming off TJ surgery no less. The Nats have John Lannon in the minors and he's been doing very well (he won 16 games last season at the Major League level and he started this season in AAA, goes to show you the depth). What will happen is he'll come up and spell Strasburg until the playoffs, then Strasburg will pitch again after getting a few weeks rest.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Some ppl think he's going to unretire. I think it was Schilling on BBTN who was guaranteeing you haven't seen the last of him, that he could DH in the AL in his sleep.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You cannot assume that everything would have turned out the same had the Nats employed one of these strategies. Maybe with fewer Strasburg starts, the Nats are fighting for the wild card rather than leading the division and have to burn Strasburg in the one-game playoff if they make it that far. I'm not worried about the impending shutdown. If the Nats do not win the World Series this year, it will be because the bats went cold or the bullpen faltered, not because Strasburg was unavailable to start a game.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^I don't understand why they didn't just shelve him with a calculated 4-6 starts left in the tank - then use him for the playoffs. Only use him once in the first round or even shut him down for the WC/1st round then bring him in for the LCS and WS if needed.

how many theoretical starts would he make for the whole playoff run anyway? 2 starts per a 7 game series (LCS and WS).

the innings limit seems arbitrary, but what they are going for is to complete recovery of the inflammation in the elbow tendons/joint/tissue. tommy john surgery these days is usually a hamstrings graft. The hamstrings have 3/4 muscles that have 3 tendons that go into the same point of connection (so you can harvest the middle tendon without compromising the hamstrings muscle tendon strength).

from there they use the harvested hamstrings tendon graft to replace the torn elbow ligament. throughout the "high stress" situations (actual game innings) inflammation tissue builds up at the surgical sites. Its really a crapshoot to how much builds up, but thats the reasoning behind the innings limit - they just want to shut him down completely to let everything settle after the first year of actual play.

there are cases where increased workloads didn't have negative outcomes.... its a little known fact but Mariano Rivera had Tommy John surgery early in his career as well, and he wasn't put on an innings limit at all (think off all the times he was put in early at the 8th inn to put out some fires over the last 15 years).

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tigers are slipping away. We are no longer pushing the "panic button". We are sitting on it.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jerry meals got his first career save yesterday GRPOS

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swept by the Angels. Another one run loss. Off to Chicago. The next four games is "it". I'm tempted to hop on the train to catch the game on Thursday.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ The White Sox have been doing their best to help your team into first place, but they won't accept it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads