1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

2017 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

How many times will Max Schrezer's two different colored eyes be mentioned tonight.

2. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Everyone in here is an AL fan except Steve, yeah? I'd like to see someone take Harvey yard in his own park.

3. bdeuce22

I'd like to see Rivera close it out

4. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

And the Yankees DL grows! 96 to the knee?

5. bdeuce22

6. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Stupid people thinking that negative x-rays mean he is fine. X-rays don't see cartilage. [​IMG]

7. bdeuce22

HOW MANY KIDS DOES RIVERA HAVE!!!

8. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Tres.

First I thought that Cano getting plunked was going to be the worst part of the game but...
    Then Neil Diamond sang and I thought surely this is the low point of this broadcast but...
    Then McCarver did a spoken word Enter Sandman.

Chris Berman, Neil Diamond, Joe Buck and Tim McCarver is just too much shitty broadcasting for two days.

1 person likes this.
  9. bdeuce22

Haha. My thoughts exactly. I can't stand Buck

10. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

Add to that the wretched singing of the National Anthem.

11. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

McCarver is absolutely awful. He mentioned again yesterday that somebody lost a ball in a white shirt. I've mentioned this on SF before - I don't know if this is a schtick of his, but I remember a WS or playoff game a few years ago where he made the same allegation, only that time he took out the teleprompter and actually circled a fan in the stands claiming that was the actual fan whose shirt the ball had gotten lost in.

What an epic douche.

12. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I've been a Mets fan for many years (don't hold it against me) and I was around when he started announcing for them (along with Ralph Kiner, who i think had Alzheimers). It typically went like this:

**3rd inning, Mets batter attempts to bunt sacrifice runner to second, runner gets thrown out at second**

Ralph: I remember when Ed Kranepool first bunted, what a hoot!

Tim: The thing about bunting is, you can't have the bat behind the plate, you need to have the bat in front of the plate and you want to hit the ball with the bat not have the ball hit the bat.

Ralph: You know, Ethel Merman once visited us in the lockeroom before a game

Tim: The timing of when you drop the bat down into bunting position is as vital as where on the bat you hit the ball. You want the ball to die in between the pitcher, catcher and first baseman so that there cannot be on play on the runner that is going from first to second. If the batter gets thrown out but advances the runner, that is OK, that is why it is called a sacrifice bunt. The runner typically has to wait until the batter makes contact. That is why it is vital to hit the ball with the bat otherwise the runner cannot advance.

Ralph: Phil Neikro had probably the best knuckleball of any pitcher I never hit against.

**4 innings later..... ****

Tim: The bat is round, as is the ball. So as the ball is coming at you, in order to bunt, you need to have the bathead parallel to the ground, in front of home plate. You want to hit the ball as much as place it on a spot on the field where the runner can advance. You don't want to get under the ball and hit it in the air, if you do that and the ball is caught, the runner cannot advance..................etc etc etc

1 person likes this.
  13. Douglas

Thanks, I had to read that in his voice. Asshole.

14. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I had to watch a game this season on Baltimore's station and it made me truly grateful for the announcers the Yankees have. I love me some O'Neill and Coney.

15. bdeuce22

"Exit light......Enter night........Take my hand.......We're off to Never Neverland"

1 person likes this.
  16. bdeuce22

I like how we can all put aside our differences and rivalries and uniformly agree that McCarver is absolutely terrible.

1 person likes this.
  17. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Primarily because of the sacrilege that is the Designated Hitter.

18. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

People also thought the reformation was a sacrilege. Just kidding NL all the way.

So I guess the tigers are worth more than the city they play in.

19. Douglas

People always argue about the DH but the greatest travesty in baseball is the Save.