• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2018 50 Book Challenge

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

100. Showdown on the Hogback Louis L'Amour

Another jewel of the range war variety. A group of Bad Guys look to swindle a group of settlers out of their land. They pass the land off to the government as as uninhabited swamp and get it to deed the property over to them. Both sides hire gunslingers to fight for their cause. Our hero at first heads up the Bad Guys, then sees the error of his ways, switches sides, and saves the day for the ranchers and farmers. Along the way he gets the girl.

The Zane Grey, Max Brand, and Louis L'Amour books came from a single volume edited by John Tuska and published in 2004 under the title The Untamed West.

Congrats on reaching the 100, you too.
I am personally making plans to add more book shelves.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clockwise counting 102/50: Marlon James - A Brief History of Seven Killings (2014)

There is nothing brief about this novel and it is not limited to just seven killings. It's a Jamaican War and Peace, telling the story of a tumultuous time in the country's history from the 1970s to the 1990s and the role of the Kingston ghetto gangs (called posses) in shaping this history. I was not surprised to read that one of Marlon James' big inspirations is James Ellroy. It's very violent and foul-mouthed, the dialogues frequently use near-incomprehensible Jamaican slang, but it's nevertheless lyrical and fascinating. One of the best books I have read this year but also quite an effort. At close to 700 pages, the story is told by numerous characters, often through inner monologues. One of those books that leave a long lasting impression.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

100. Showdown on the Hogback Louis L'Amour.

Congratulations Steve on reaching the 100 I wonder with these Louis L'Amour are there any singing cowboys between the covers?

Last edited:

brunop

Reaction score
just finished arthur schlesinger's journals. that's 54 so far. i think i can read a few more twixt now and january.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Congratulations Steve on reaching the 100 I wonder with these Louis L'Amour are there any singing cowboys between the covers?

Oddly enough, that's the one thing I haven't seen in the 50 odd books I've read. L'Amour basically had 7 plots he used over and over, the most popular being a range war.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

100. Showdown on the Hogback

4thJuly2.gif

:D

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I'm reading DeLillo's Point Omega, and listening to Campbell Scott read it back to me, his voice inflecting in that particular Campbellian Scott way. This is a real treat, and the actual recording sounds much better than the above. I move that from now on, my life be scripted by Don DeLillo and narrated by Campbell Scott.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm reading DeLillo's Point Omega, and listening to Campbell Scott read it back to me, his voice inflecting in that particular Campbellian Scott way. This is a real treat, and the actual recording sounds much better than the above. I move that from now on, my life be scripted by Don DeLillo and narrated by Campbell Scott.

One of those books which basically lacks a plot but nevertheless feels meaningful and demands your attention. DeLillo is obviously a brilliant writer but you never feel happy after having read him. Very hard to understand. But I liked it. :)

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
101. Son Lois Lowry 2012

The final book of The Giver quartet. Ties all 3 of the previous books together in a way even a dense person like me can understand.

The mother of the baby in the first book escapes from its stifling sterile environment to a seaside village. She lives there until her mid-20s, always wondering about her son. She ultimately leaves the village to find her son.

I would give the series a resounding A, but the Newberry Award winning first book The Giver is obviously the best of the lot. I'd also recommend the movie, released earlier this year, and starring Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges..

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
102. The English Girl Daniel Silva 2013

Gabriel Allon is back in the saddle (Louis L'Amour reference), doing a favor for his old friend, Graham Seymour of MI-5. Not only is the British prime minister having an affair, but his mistress has been kidnapped. Allon finds her and solves the mystery of why she was taken, and by whom.

Decent, but I've read better Silvas.

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clockwise counting 103/50: Charles ******* - Typhoon (2008)

Exciting and well written espionage / thriller with settings that I very much relate to. Like the main characters of this novel, I was also in Hong Kong for the 1997 handover to China and I recognise many of the locations for the hedonistic expat life which is described in the book. It's a story about evil scheming within CIA, Muslim Uighur fanatics and a young "moral" British MI6 spy.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

One of those books which basically lacks a plot but nevertheless feels meaningful and demands your attention. DeLillo is obviously a brilliant writer but you never feel happy after having read him. Very hard to understand. But I liked it. :)

That's funny, and I agree this describes some of his later work. His earlier stuff I find hilarious (or at least more balanced). I think you said you read End Zone -- that, for me, is perfection -- so funny and re-readable, but also backed by the full weight of his literariness. Have you read Underworld? Still got that and plenty of of his longer work to read, so I'm hoping those are also less bleak.

Steve B., congrats on 100, and please teach me how to read one big meaty book per day!. :fu:

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's funny, and I agree this describes some of his later work. His earlier stuff I find hilarious (or at least more balanced). I think you said you read End Zone -- that, for me, is perfection -- so funny and re-readable, but also backed by the full weight of his literariness. Have you read Underworld? Still got that and plenty of of his longer work to read, so I'm hoping those are also less bleak.

Steve B., congrats on 100, and please teach me how to read one big meaty book per day!. :fu:

No, I have neither read End Zone nor Underworld.
The DeLillos I have read are: White Noise, The Names, The Angel Esmeralda, The Body Artist and Point Omega.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I see... Yeah, I found the Body Artist particularly depressing, but I absolutely loved The Angel Esmeralda. That extended dialogue scene with the guy's daughters reporting the financial news was pretty :laugh: I thought.

You are scaring me away from Underworld. Someone assure me it's not a total downer!

Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Only half were big and meaty...And currently I have nothing else to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads