1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

2017 50 Book Challenge

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Try China Mieville The City and The City

this goes some way too describe it http://www.sfra.org/sf101newweird

1 person likes this.
  2. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

50. The Rustlers of West Fork Louis L'Amour

Second of the 50s Hopalong Cassidy novels. Hoppy helps an old friend save his ranch from a swindle. But he moves on, eschewing the girl. Thoroughly satisfying stuff.

My work for this year is done.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Congratulation just in time to put the feet up and pick up a good book. :) Any one ordered anything of interest bibliographically? I still seeking out a couple of books I can while away January at the beach with.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Time and Space, by James Coventry :stirpot:

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Infidel, worshipper of false idols! :tinfoil:

Beatlebone by Kevin Barry and Numero Zero by Eco arrived this morning. Not beach books, more late afternoon with a large GnT post beach

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Do textbooks/professional journals-publications count?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

1. A Wrong Turn at the Office on Unmade Lists
    2. Acceptance
    3. Shipbreaker
    4. Winter's Bone
    5. Dhmara Bums
    6. Istanbul
    7. On the Trail of Genghis Khan
    8. Holy Bible
    9. The Boat
    10. Collected Stories
    11. Lost and Found
    12. Blind Willow, Sleeping woman
    13. White Noise
    14. Clariel
    15. Off the Rails
    16. Sabriel
    17 Hitler's Daughter
    18. Quack this Way
    19. Grapes of Wrath
    20. Every Man in this Village is a Liar
    21. The Twelve Fingered Boy
    22. Riders of the Purple Sage
    23. The Sheltering Sky
    24. How to Travel the World for Free
    25. Deliverance
    26. Trigger Warning
    27. It's Complicated
    28. Fight Club
    29. Past the Shallows
    30. Wonderboys
    31. It's what I do
    32. A Long Way Down
    33. Men Who Stare at Goats
    34. Boxer Beetle
    35. This is How You Lose Her
    36. No Sugar
    37. The Invisible Writing
    38. Schismatrix
    39. The Water Knife
    40. Essays
    41. Wolfblade
    42. Trash
    43. The Honours
    44. Cloudstreet
    45. Cibola Burn
    46. Prince of Fools
    47. Nemesis Games
    48. Golden Boys
    49. Gommorah
    50. The Ring
    51. Wolves
    52. Wind/Pinball
    53. Distrust that Particular Flavour
    54. Blankets
    55. Go Set a Watchman
    56. Best Australian Stories 2012
    57. Half a War
    58. Confederacy of Dunces
    59. Half a King
    60. War
    61. Angelmaker
    62. Half a King
    63. Eye of the Sheep
    64. Ghost River
    65. The Silent History
    66. Slam
    67. The Quarry
    68. About a Boy
    69. Dirt Music
    70. After Dark
    71. Americanah
    72. The Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
    73. Northern Lights

A few re-reads for school (teaching these in the new year)

72. The Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

We all know the deal here - too much pontification and reputation, not enough sick transformation and escapades.

73. Northern Lights

Top 5 books written for children ever. If you have kids and haven't at least attempted to get them to read this you're nuts. Beautiful book, excellent series - kicks all sorts of arse. Beyond criticism.

8. Steve B.

Yes.

9. California Dreamer

1. A Tale for the Time Being 2. The Sun is God 3. The Keeper of Lost Causes 4. Lost and Found 5. Murder on the Eiffel Tower 6. How to be Both 7. Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore 8. Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth 9. Levels of Life 10. The Seventh Day 11. Fortunately the Milk 11b. The Sleeper and the Spindle 12. The Agile Project Management Handbook 13. Reykjavik Nights 14. The Siege 15. The Torch 16. Being Mortal 17. Hicksville 18. Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen 19. The Buried Giant 20. Another Time, Another Life 21. The Corpse Reader 22. Portrait of a Man 23. All the Birds, Singing 24. Out Stealing Horses 25. Last Winter We Parted 26. The Rabbit Back Literature Society 27. Rituals 28. Bitter Remedy 29. The Ring and The Opposite of Death 30. Old Gold 31. Hausfrau 32. Irene 33. I Refuse 34. Nothing is True and Everything is Possible 35. The Dalai Lama’s Cat 36. Blood Year: Terror and the Islamic State 37. The Eye of the Sheep 38. The Miniaturist 39. Crime 40. Golden Boys 41. The Holiday Murders 42. My Brilliant Friend 43.The Girl Who Wasn't There 44. The Thief 45. Someone Else's Conflict 46. Dark Road 47. The Paying Guests 48. Titus Awakes 49. The Writing on the Wall 50. The Straight Dope 51. Us 52. Gomorrah 53. Lila 54. The Wake 55. Last Rituals 56. The Fishermen 57. Malice 58. Wind/Pinball 59. The Ladies of Grace Adieu 60. The Blazing World 61. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 62. The Other Shore 63. The Chimes 64. The Wave 65. Snowblind 66. Unfaithfully Yours
    67. Thomas Quick: The Making of a Serial Killer
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Quick: The Making of a Serial Killer
    by Hannes Råstam
    My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In recounting the story of Thomas Quick, Hannes Rastam has produced one of the best true crime stories that I have read for a long time.

Thomas Quick was a Swedish psychiatric patient who, in the course of his therapy, began to recover memories of having murdered people. His therapists worked with police and prosecutors to elicit further memories. In the end, Quick confessed to 30 murders. He was prosecuted and convicted of eight of then, making him Sweden's first and most notorious serial killer.

What bothered a lot of people, including Rastam, was that there was never any evidence presented at Quick's trials other than his confessions. The pattern of his confessions was that he originally got nearly everything about the murder in question wrong, but gradually converged on a story close to the known facts under further police questioning. Only the last version of his confessions were heard by the courts, and his earlier, wildly inaccurate statements never saw the light of day in his trials. His defense lawyer never questioned this and never tried to seriously contest the prosecution.

Then, after many years, Thomas Quick recanted in an interview with Rastam. This presented Rastam with a problem. How could a man who was a mental patient, proven liar and convicted serial killer be believed? The only solution was for Rastam to investigate every detail of every murder, and try to dispel every piece of evidence ever presented against Quick.

This is a huge book, 700pp in the large print version, although it reads very quickly. I do think that it still could have done with a bit of editing down; there were frequent occasions where I felt like the author was repeating ground covered before, and not adding much to the story in doing so. If not for this, I probably would have given this jaw-dropping crime story 5 stars.
    View all my reviews

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  10. Geoffrey Firmin

58 The Lost Girls of Rome by Donato Carrisi This was a well translated and engaging crime novel with enough twists and turns to make it all the more interesting. So far their are four books in the series the characters from the first reappear in the third and the second book come back in the fourth.

I really enjoyed this very interesting departure from standard Noir.

11. Steve B.

Scuttlebutt has it that my daughters are getting me a Kindle for Christmas, but I doubt the thrillers/westerns will change.

Not so excited about reading books off the confounded list.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

The Northern Lights trilogy (aka The Golden Compass in North America) is indeed excellent.

My son's been reading the books, so I've recently re-read them so that I can discuss them with him. Thoroughly enjoyable, very creative and thought-provoking.

13. California Dreamer

1. A Tale for the Time Being 2. The Sun is God 3. The Keeper of Lost Causes 4. Lost and Found 5. Murder on the Eiffel Tower 6. How to be Both 7. Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore 8. Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth 9. Levels of Life 10. The Seventh Day 11. Fortunately the Milk 11b. The Sleeper and the Spindle 12. The Agile Project Management Handbook 13. Reykjavik Nights 14. The Siege 15. The Torch 16. Being Mortal 17. Hicksville 18. Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen 19. The Buried Giant 20. Another Time, Another Life 21. The Corpse Reader 22. Portrait of a Man 23. All the Birds, Singing 24. Out Stealing Horses 25. Last Winter We Parted 26. The Rabbit Back Literature Society 27. Rituals 28. Bitter Remedy 29. The Ring and The Opposite of Death 30. Old Gold 31. Hausfrau 32. Irene 33. I Refuse 34. Nothing is True and Everything is Possible 35. The Dalai Lama’s Cat 36. Blood Year: Terror and the Islamic State 37. The Eye of the Sheep 38. The Miniaturist 39. Crime 40. Golden Boys 41. The Holiday Murders 42. My Brilliant Friend 43.The Girl Who Wasn't There 44. The Thief 45. Someone Else's Conflict 46. Dark Road 47. The Paying Guests 48. Titus Awakes 49. The Writing on the Wall 50. The Straight Dope 51. Us 52. Gomorrah 53. Lila 54. The Wake 55. Last Rituals 56. The Fishermen 57. Malice 58. Wind/Pinball 59. The Ladies of Grace Adieu 60. The Blazing World 61. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 62. The Other Shore 63. The Chimes 64. The Wave 65. Snowblind 66. Unfaithfully Yours 67. Thomas Quick: The Making of a Serial Killer
    68. The Steel Spring
    [​IMG]
    The Steel Spring
    by Per Wahlöö
    My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I saw The Steel Spring in a bookshop and noticed that it was written by a co-author of the Martin Beck crime series, I snapped it up.

Set in an unnamed country, the novel centres on Inspector Jensen, a patient who is about to go abroad for a transplant operation. His last official act before leaving is to issue warrants for the arrest of a number of doctors, including his own.

When Jensen recovers, he is contacted by some government figures who advise him that there is something mysterious going on at home and communications are down. They order him to go back to find out what is going on, and report back. When he returns, Jensen soon discovers that the country seems to be in the grip of a massive epidemic, and society is falling apart.

Per Wahloo wrote this dystopian novel in 1968 when the Beck series was at its height - the same year of publication as The Laughing Policeman. It's nothing like the Beck novels though, being far more polemical in nature. Wahloo and Sjowall were both Marxists, and they used the Beck novels to convey their criticisms of Swedish society at the time. Where the Beck novels did this subtly, Wahloo goes in hard here; The Steel Spring is an unsubtle diatribe against capitalism and right-wing politics only barely disguised as a mystery novel. Probably too unsubtle for me.
    View all my reviews

14. Steve B.

51. The Trail to Seven Pines Louis L'Amour

The third of four Hopalong Cassidy novels. Hoppy finds himself in the middle of a range war, and leads the good guys to victory. Moves on and leaves the girl to pine away for his protuberance.

15. California Dreamer

I didn't know L'Amour wrote the Cassidy novels. Or is he just one of many?

16. Geoffrey Firmin

59 The Vanished Ones By Donato Carrisi An interesting and slightly bent take on Noir the urbane environment of the city where the crimes occur is never mentioned specifically as a location back drop. Its more a generic City odd but highly effective.

17. Steve B.

There were a couple of others too.

18. Steve B.

52. Bendigo Shafter Louis L'Amour

The coming of age of a young man in the West (Wyoming). One of the better L'Amour I've read.

19. California Dreamer

1. A Tale for the Time Being 2. The Sun is God 3. The Keeper of Lost Causes 4. Lost and Found 5. Murder on the Eiffel Tower 6. How to be Both 7. Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore 8. Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth 9. Levels of Life 10. The Seventh Day 11. Fortunately the Milk 11b. The Sleeper and the Spindle 12. The Agile Project Management Handbook 13. Reykjavik Nights 14. The Siege 15. The Torch 16. Being Mortal 17. Hicksville 18. Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen 19. The Buried Giant 20. Another Time, Another Life 21. The Corpse Reader 22. Portrait of a Man 23. All the Birds, Singing 24. Out Stealing Horses 25. Last Winter We Parted 26. The Rabbit Back Literature Society 27. Rituals 28. Bitter Remedy 29. The Ring and The Opposite of Death 30. Old Gold 31. Hausfrau 32. Irene 33. I Refuse 34. Nothing is True and Everything is Possible 35. The Dalai Lama’s Cat 36. Blood Year: Terror and the Islamic State 37. The Eye of the Sheep 38. The Miniaturist 39. Crime 40. Golden Boys 41. The Holiday Murders 42. My Brilliant Friend 43.The Girl Who Wasn't There 44. The Thief 45. Someone Else's Conflict 46. Dark Road 47. The Paying Guests 48. Titus Awakes 49. The Writing on the Wall 50. The Straight Dope 51. Us 52. Gomorrah 53. Lila 54. The Wake 55. Last Rituals 56. The Fishermen 57. Malice 58. Wind/Pinball 59. The Ladies of Grace Adieu 60. The Blazing World 61. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 62. The Other Shore 63. The Chimes 64. The Wave 65. Snowblind 66. Unfaithfully Yours 67. Thomas Quick: The Making of a Serial Killer 68. The Steel Spring
    69. Death's Dark Abyss
    [​IMG]
    Death's Dark Abyss
    by Massimo Carlotto
    My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Massimo Carlotto has a unique background for a crime writer: a convicted murderer, fugitive from justice, done hard time in prison and ultimately cleared in one of Italy's most famous court cases. Little wonder that he is regarded as one of the pre-eminent Italian crime novelists.

Death's Dark Abyss is a hard-boiled crime yarn in the style of Dashiell Hammett or James M. Cain. The story starts with a robbery that goes horribly wrong, with one of the robbers panicking and murdering a female hostage and her child. He is captured and convicted, but stubbornly refuses to identify his accomplice.

Fifteen years later the killer, Raffeallo, is dying of cancer and launches an appeal for a pardon so that he can die a free man. He appeals to the husband and father of his victims, Silvano, to forgive him and back his plea. However Silvano has stared into death's dark abyss and is still nursing his demons; he'd rather see Raffaello rot in jail no matter how sick he is. Suddenly Silvano changes his mind. There is one thing Raffaello can still do for him - give him the name of his accomplice.

This is a short, sparse novel where not a word is wasted. The story rollicks along, and there are enough plot twists to keep the reader engaged. It is also pretty brutal; this book is not for the faint-hearted, with some sex scenes and violence that are pretty strong stuff.

I enjoyed this book very much, and will certainly seek out more of Carlotto's work.

View all my reviews

20. Steve B.

53. The End of the Drive Louis L'Amour

Another collection of short stories, including a novella, which I especially enjoyed.

My project for 2016 will be to collect and read the remainder of L'Amour's tomes. 33 to go.

That and catching up on Lee Child, David Baldacci, W.E.B. Griffin, et al on the new Kindle.

Probably all I'll get to as I'm writing a book, poetry, and short stories of my own,