• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2014 College Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's criminal that there's so much talent on that team that is decaying with the type coaching, passion, and leadership that is lacking at UT right now. I'd even go as far as saying that Longhorn Football represents everything that is wrong with college football players being reduced to the status of commodities for the obnoxious enrichment of everyone around them.

Eh, I'd say it's more representative of our entire society heading down the ******* because these kids expect everything handed to them and get coddled beyond reason with absolutely no guidance or sense of responsibility coming from above. I can see Mack Brown as the kind of guy who'd hand out trophies for losing.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ESPN is reporting that some UT BoR met with Saban's agent last year after the BCS Champ game. Apparently, Texas has given thought of having Saban coach their team.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even ESPN College Gameday decided to go to an FCS school this weekend.

Maybe this will remind people that the whole, "we can't have a playoff system in college football" argument is blatantly hypocritical bullshit.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nothing big really going on this weekend. Even ESPN College Gameday decided to go to an FCS school this weekend.

Meh. I prefer their "side trips" to the rote BCS visits. There's a lot more to college football than even FBS schools, and in many ways its better at smaller schools. IMO.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

WOOOOOW... horrible coaching, worse officiating... this is incredibly bad

WI hired a guy as dumb as the last guy. How many deep outs into single coverage do you give up before you double the ******* receiver?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Of course they would, as they should. Saban will use it for a raise (pretty sure they're met before, too). He's the last person who'll agree to having LHN film practices...

And... http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/09/nick_saban_on_texas_rumors_im.html

Srsly- the ppl at UT are starved for a REAL winner and they have the biggest war chest in college sports. Incredible challenge.

Alabama won't be a challenge for him any more.

Where else does he go- the pros?

Didn't work too well the first time.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Srsly- the ppl at UT are starved for a REAL winner and they have the biggest war chest in college sports. Incredible challenge.

Alabama won't be a challenge for him any more.

Where else does he go- the pros?

Didn't work too well the first time.

He's 62 in a month. Here's where he goes: Some place where he doesn't have to work 80-hour work weeks (IE: Retirement.).

Seriously Steve B., you're a real dolt.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's 62 in a month. Here's where he goes: Some place where he doesn't have to work 80-hour work weeks (IE: Retirement.).

Seriously Steve B., you're a real dolt.

Great coaches like him don't retire at 62. They look for the next opportunity because they like the challenge.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Great coaches like him don't retire at 62. They look for the next opportunity because they like the challenge.

I never said he would retire at 62. I just said he's getting old. There comes a point where the grind just isn't fun/worth it.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saban doesn't have fun. He doesn't do this because he enjoys it, he does it because he thrives on it. The grind is what keeps him going. He's one of those people that will work until the day he dies and that day will come early if he stops.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saban is not going to Texas. I think his age is a factor, but, even if it's not, there is nothing about going to Texas that is an upgrade for him.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asked about the report by Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News, Saban said he was unaware of any contact.

"Nothing went on that I know of. I don't know about any of this stuff," Saban said. "I haven't talked to anybody about that particular situation. They have a coach there."

He continued as the cheers from the Buffalo Wild Wings audience started.

"Every year it's something. Last year it was the Cleveland Browns," Saban said. "The year before that it was somebody else, the NFL. Terry and I are very happy here in Tuscaloosa. We're really love the University of Alabama. We really feel like a part of the community here and we have a lot of good friends here."

Then he topped it off to a large round of applause.

"And, quite frankly," Saban said, "I'm just too damn old to start over somewhere else."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/09/nick_saban_on_texas_rumors_im.html

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Saban is not going to Texas. I think his age is a factor, but, even if it's not, there is nothing about going to Texas that is an upgrade for him.

I agree with everything except the last part. Money will be an upgrade and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads