1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. guster

guster Well-Known Member

Looks like FSU will have the top class in 2012. Already 2 of the top 11 players (5-star players).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...TOGCPJzGI5nYcB

Waaaaayyy too early to determine top recruiting classes. These are 16-18 year olds and hey change their mind a lot. And each year, it seems more and more of them go back on tcommitments.

With that said.....FSU looks like they are doing an excellent job at recruiting. But let's see how their season plays out. A lot of kids will bail on program that is having a subpar season.

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

A quick look at a half-dozen preseason rankings and I get an amalgamated top ten looking like:

1. Alabama
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Oregon
    4. Boise State
    5. LSU
    6. FSU ([​IMG], but Fox Sports has us at #1, which is [​IMG])
    7. Va Tech ([​IMG])
    8. Nebraska
    9. Stanford
    10. Texas A&M (when was the last preseason ranking that had them above Texas?)

Alabama has a difficult schedule, I doubt they'll finish in the top 5.

Oklahoma has a relatively light schedule - only tough games are at FSU, Texas, and Texas A&M

Oregon has a pretty difficult schedule

Boise State, as usual, is playing TCU, Georgia, and a bunch of shitty teams.

LSU has a difficult schedule, but I think they'll finish above Alabama. The SEC will be, by their standards, down this year.

FSU faces nine bowl teams, including Oklahoma and Miami and plays at Clemson and at Florida. We will likely lose to Oklahoma and slip up somewhere else along the way.

Va Tech will flame out.

Nebraska - I have no idea how they will turn out. Stopped caring when they ditched the option way back when.

Stanford - the Andrew Luck ESPN hype machine will reach Tebow -like proportions.

Texas A&M - Quarterback position settled? Should be fun to watch this year.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Who is Bama's quarterback?

4. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Well-Known Member

Boise State, as usual, is playing TCU, Georgia, and a bunch of shitty teams.
    I'm really looking forward to Georgia-Boise. We better not lose.

5. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

likely will be #2 from last year, AJ McCarron. it hasn't been officially announced yet and it's still 'up for grabs' between him and sims.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

That poll is bullshit.

Where is Georgia State? I mean...come ON!!!!

7. FLMountainMan

THIS. That's pretty much the only chance BSU has of losing until late in the season (ninth(?) week at TCU).

8. FLMountainMan

That poll is bullshit.

It must be an oversight, the Eagles should have a really good team this year.

9. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

THIS. That's pretty much the only chance BSU has of losing until late in the season (ninth(?) week at TCU).

I think Georgia will win. I think it could be a "tone setter" for Georgia, but only if they win. A win is big for Georgia because beating a top 10 team is a huge confidence booster, and Boise will be in the top 10, maybe top five. A loss, on the other hand, doesn't mean as much, because the game isn't particularly important in-conference, and it can be dismissed as a hiccup against a top five team, the impact of which can be basically erased with a win against USC.

Also, a lot of people are viewing that game as an early test to see if Georgia will be competitive in 2011, but I'm not putting too much stock in it from that perspective. It's basically a bowl-type game for Boise, and it's one of their only chances to make a national statement. Georgia, on the other hand, has a much, much more important game the following week, and, if it's competitive in the SEC, it will have tons of chances to get national attention. The incentives just don't match, and I think that could influence the outcome.

That all said, we better not lose. [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this...

That poll is bullshit.

...and thought "great, another season of Ed's ranting about GSU is on the horizon."

But then I saw this...

It must be an oversight, the Eagles should have a really good team this year.

...and I smiled because I remembered that we also get to spend all season making that joke.

10. nerdykarim

That poll is bullshit.

I wish I had saved a log of our chat from last year when you legitimately thought GSU would beat Bama.

That all said, we better not lose. [​IMG]
    Are you going up to Atlanta to watch the game?

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I wish I had saved a log of our chat from last year when you legitimately thought GSU would beat Bama.

Uh....they did. Also, the game was much closer than the score suggested.

Anyway, FTR, I realize my joking about GSU is old and it is kinda pointless now that they've played their first season so don't think it'll become a meme.

12. guster

guster Well-Known Member

I saw a article last week where someone had put together the rankings of all the polls/predictions out so far. There are still a number of big polls not out yet so still early....
    but the biggest surprise for me was the lack of inclusion of Texas in the top 20. 1 bad year and they have dropped off polls? Don't they still have a lot of talent and is it reasonable to think they will finish in top 20?

13. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

There's an outside possibility I'll be busy, but it's pretty unlikely that the plans I'm trying to make for that weekend will actually pan out. If that doesn't work out, I don't have anything else going on, and I could be convinced to head to the ATL.

14. FLMountainMan

Is the game in Atlanta and not Athens?

15. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this one. It would be great if this becomes a game that gets played every year. TCU needs a new rivalry considering their traditional rivalries with SMU and Baylor haven't been competitive in years.

16. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Is the game in Atlanta and not Athens?

Yup. It's the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in the Georgia Dome.

17. FLMountainMan

Yup. It's the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in the Georgia Dome.

Yikes, the last Chick-fil-A game I attended there was FSU's bowl game. Great game, frightful aftermath.

18. nerdykarim

I'll be there and I think Ed mentioned he lives near by; if you make it up, we should grab a drink before the game.

19. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I can't believe Texas is not rated in the top 25. I can't believe that we will be the underdog against ATM.

20. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that The U made the top 25. I doubt that will last long though.