1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

2010 March Madness

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by cahlersmeyer, Mar 15, 2010.

1. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

2. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My team lost it all and i can't detetc sarcasm when i'm drunk. [​IMG]
    It was an amazing run that they totally deserved. Seriously, congrats to them.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

LOL @ the least excited crowd I have ever seen for a championship game.

The crowd was excited, ecstatic actually, from beginning to end. It may not have been apparent on tv, but I was there and can tell you that the crowd was wild. I've been in Lucas Oil many times for Colts games, and I've never heard it as loud as it was tonight.

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Say what you want, but Duke wins the right way. K runs a clean program. They graduate players. They represent a smaller school with excellent academics and have a loyal fanbase. They're a victim of their success.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Say what you want, but Duke wins the right way. K runs a clean program. They graduate players. They represent a smaller school with excellent academics and have a loyal fanbase. They're a victim of their success.

I have nothing but respsect for Duke. Although I have hated them tonight for beating Butler, the way that they recruit and then train players is nothing but upstanding. But why did the y have to beat Butler [​IMG]

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I have nothing but respsect for Duke. Although I have hated them tonight for beating Butler, the way that they recruit and then train players is nothing but upstanding. But why did the y have to beat Butler [​IMG]
    Two very good schools with great traditions of clean programs and academic success. I have no hate for Duke, but I certainly don't like them when a team I favor loses to them.

7. StephenHero

It could be worse. Kentucky could have won.

8. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Well-Known Member

I couldn't stand Clark Kellog acting like this was a 3-14 or a 2-15 matchup for almost the entire game. Whenever Duke got up by more than 3 points he talked as if Butler was going to completely fall apart...

9. StephenHero

They were definitely pushing a storyline, which was not that Duke won, but that Butler didn't win. 90% of people watching were pushing for the same thing so it made sense.

10. Agent GQ

Agent GQ Member

The NBA is nothing more than 10 people trying to go one-on-one so they can get their bonus or get their points or get on sportscenter. There is almost no team play, and there is absolutely zero defense played across the entire league.
    At least in college you still see actual plays and not just pick & rolls.

BrotherSport already killed your weak argument but I'll add in with more eloquent words:
    You are a fucking idiot.

'At least in college you still see actual plays and not just pick & rolls'.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] There are only about 10 players in all of college that can create their own shot. This is why the end of close college games are a joke. There are no end of game actual plays in college, the ball just gets passed around the perimeter like hot potato and someone just takes a usually ill-advised shot. Most of the time it clanks.

Just because the average score of a college basketball game is quite low, doesn't mean that 'good defense' rules the day. More than anything it is a result of bad offense and the prevalence of the zone defense. I've wasted enough time on your laughable arguments.

And I'm glad your 'scrappy', 'hard working', 'lunch pail', 'underachiever' team lost.

11. kwilkinson

BrotherSport already killed your weak argument but I'll add in with more eloquent words:
    You are a fucking idiot.

'At least in college you still see actual plays and not just pick & rolls'.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] There are only about 10 players in all of college that can create their own shot. This is why the end of close college games are a joke. There are no end of game actual plays in college, the ball just gets passed around the perimeter like hot potato and someone just takes a usually ill-advised shot. Most of the time it clanks.

Just because the average score of a college basketball game is quite low, doesn't mean that 'good defense' rules the day. More than anything it is a result of bad offense and the prevalence of the zone defense. I've wasted enough time on your laughable arguments.

And I'm glad your 'scrappy', 'hard working', 'lunch pail', 'underachiever' team lost.

[​IMG] This has nothing to do with Butler. It has to do with basketball. The reason that college players can't create their own shots is because basketball isn't about creating your own shot. It's about running a fucking offense, and letting that shot be created for you. Once you get to the NBA and the focus is on the individual rather than the team is when you are forced to create your own opportunities. NBA players only care about getting on sportscenter or getting that poster dunk or making that big shot. It's not about wins. And frankly, why should it be? The good players are going to get paid more for getting butts into seats rather than getting championships. Once it's more about money than it is about sport, I can't blame the players for being selfish. I'm just saying, it's not interesting to watch.

12. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

Look, it was a GREAT game. Hard fought, plenty of lead changes, a polarizing team and a feel good story of a team playing in front of 70k home fans. I dont think it could ever be recreated.

Win lose or draw I couldnt be more happy with the way butler came. they started the tourney 75-1 to win the whole thing and as a guy who went to a private school in a small mid major conference with 2k students, no football team and that last reached the NCAA tourney in the late 90s, I felt it was my school (and cause my sis went there[​IMG] and Ive partied around there once or 200 times)

Oh, and did we forget that they are only losing one senior this year??? 2011 wont be as magincal (what could be?), but it will be interesting to see...

13. Brothersport

[​IMG] This has nothing to do with Butler. It has to do with basketball. The reason that college players can't create their own shots is because basketball isn't about creating your own shot. It's about running a fucking offense, and letting that shot be created for you. Once you get to the NBA and the focus is on the individual rather than the team is when you are forced to create your own opportunities. NBA players only care about getting on sportscenter or getting that poster dunk or making that big shot. It's not about wins. And frankly, why should it be? The good players are going to get paid more for getting butts into seats rather than getting championships. Once it's more about money than it is about sport, I can't blame the players for being selfish. I'm just saying, it's not interesting to watch.

Basketball isn't about running an offense; basketball is about scoring points efficiently and preventing the opposing team from doing the same.

College just about as star-oriented as the NBA, and you're fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. The difference is that the college stars change every few years, so you don't remember that this year was all about Evan Turner vs. John Wall, or that Kevin Durant was the only subject on anyone's mind a few years ago, or that Carmelo carried his entire team to a championship.

If the tournament weren't so random or college offenses didn't stymie their star players' play so often (see John Wall), you'd probably remember it better. Plus, where are these mystical INCREDIBLE PLAYS that college teams run? What did Butler (with the strategic whiz kid coach) run with the game on the line? Hayward iso from the top of the key. Oh, I didn't realize that was so different from the NBA. Your whole "actual offense" idea is astounding. The Lakers run a triangle offense; the Jazz run a complex motion offense; the Nets run (or at least ran) a dribble-drive offense. The list goes on and on. College doesn't have enough good players to rely on them to come through in the clutch, so they have to rely on worse players to come through, and somehow you think that that is more enjoyable to watch.

I don't know where to start with your ignorance about NBA players' motivations. LeBron came out last week and flat-out said that he could lead the league in scoring every single year (arrogant, but probably true), but never tried to do so, since it wouldn't help his team. James was known for passing to the open man with the game on the line earlier in his career. LeBron, Carmelo, and Kevin Durant have been lauded universally for vastly improving their defense as their progression as players continues. Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard, two of the best big men in the game, epitomize dirty work, smart play, and unselfishness. The Celtics' Big 3 is conceptually as equivalent to Duke's Big 3 as you can find.

Every year players who get knocked out of the playoffs cry and take it more personally than those in college do. Ask Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Steve Nash, LeBron James, Allen Iverson, any goddamn player.

Your general comments about stat-hunting make sense at the very depths of the league, where dysfunctional teams have crazy players (like Ricky Davis, Andray Blache) who are just after theirs, after the season is toast. But is that different from college teams not in contention? There's a reason that most years the scoring leader in college never comes from one of the best teams, you know. They're being selfish in your mind, just getting theirs to increase their draft stock. In essence, college players, even though they don't get paid (but really do), are still about the [future] money. There's no ethereal reason to watch this game, no sanctity of college basketball to protect as a billion dollar corporation.

14. kwilkinson

Sorry bro. I am right, you are wrong. Tough break.

15. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

The crowd was excited, ecstatic actually, from beginning to end. It may not have been apparent on tv, but I was there and can tell you that the crowd was wild. I've been in Lucas Oil many times for Colts games, and I've never heard it as loud as it was tonight.

I'll take your word, I'm merely referring to the big crowd pan right as Duke was celebrating and it just looked like a bunch of spectators. The rest of the game seemed very wild indeed.

16. nate10184

nate10184 Well-Known Member

Extremely impressed with Butler and Brad Stevens. I think he's going to be a household name in the future. Quite a game, lucky I got to be in Durham for the celebration last night.

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Instant classic.

The game wasn't particularly well-played -- Duke looked tight and Butler went through long stretches where it couldn't buy a basket -- but it provided more on-the-edge-of-your-seat drama than any sporting event in a long, long time. It's a cliche, but there really were no losers last night.

18. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

I'll take your word, I'm merely referring to the big crowd pan right as Duke was celebrating and it just looked like a bunch of spectators. The rest of the game seemed very wild indeed.

Well considering 90% of the crowd was from Indianapolis, home of butler, thats to be expected. Usually when someone else wins on your home court, the fans arent going nuts. IF Butler had won, especially with one of those last 2 shots, the place would have erupted.

19. Brothersport

Extremely impressed with Butler and Brad Stevens. I think he's going to be a household name in the future. Quite a game, lucky I got to be in Durham for the celebration last night.

Lucky is right. :jealous: