1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

2009 non-clothing plans & purchases

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by von Rothbart, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

God, is the Eames lounge the new stainless steel appliance?

Eh, where I come from this shit doesnt exist (Spokane, WA), people go all out blah design there (think of everything seeming like its stuck in the late 90s or early 2000s, everyone has thrown out classic mid century pieces or anything remotely interesting). I had never even heard of Eames till I moved to Japan, saw some cool looking chairs and asked who made them.

2. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

will be in brewster for the back half of july. get together? showdown?

will be there 2-3rd week of july, we'll talk.

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

cool. will PM you.

4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

You guys should meet up in Gay Head.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

i'll bring you a bear back from p-town conne. i promise.

6. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

One of my grandma's best friends is this crotchety old queen who wears short-shorts and vacations in Provincetown. One time he told me and my dad that he would bring back for us various t-shirts with homoerotic slogans on them. [​IMG]

7. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

I've spent an assload in 2008, on a vacation, a car, and some clothes -- in 2009 I'll be finishing grad school, so I need to focus on finding a new job rather than spending. But I do need to get a new receiver.

8. why

why Well-Known Member

Grow da bizness.

9. randallr

randallr Well-Known Member

I've spent an assload in 2008, on a vacation, a car, and some clothes -- in 2009 I'll be finishing grad school, so I need to focus on finding a new job rather than spending. But I do need to get a new receiver.

Do you go to UD?

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

8 month vacation. After that it's time to find a new job. I spent a ton on toys last year so I'm strictly spending on vacation this year. Hope the economy is decent when I get back.

11. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

A hardtop for my miata. Was planning to buy closer to summer when the prices go down a bit, but the price was too good to pass up; this is going to be an expensive month for the car.

Getting the timing belt and water pump changed this weekend, $400 labour plus $300 for the parts. Unfortunately, I've not the faith in my manliness to do such a job myself.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

A house. Been renting since late 2001 and we are sick of it. Now that prices have crashed and interest rates have declined, now is the time.

13. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

Wish I could say the same.. I foresee renting for another 2-3 years.

More furniture, particularly the Emeco Hudsons for the dining room.
    Art.

14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

A hardtop for my miata. Was planning to buy closer to summer when the prices go down a bit, but the price was too good to pass up; this is going to be an expensive month for the car.

Getting the timing belt and water pump changed this weekend, $400 labour plus $300 for the parts. Unfortunately, I've not the faith in my manliness to do such a job myself.

I've done this before. It does not suck, so long as you remember to mark your cam sprockets and belts before removing the belt.

Put it this way: I had a much easier time replacing the timing belt and water pump on my Miata than I did with the water pump alone on my jeep.

The downside is that if things go sideways, you're towing it to a garage to get the belt put on.

BTW, the water pump is behind the belt, so if you're doing the pump, the belt is no added labor.

15. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

BTW - non clothing purchases:

likely: large air compressor.

maybe: large-ish bandsaw, depending on what deals shake out by the summer. Probably just buying a semi-industrial and refurbishing.

16. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

I've done this before. It does not suck, so long as you remember to mark your cam sprockets and belts before removing the belt.

Put it this way: I had a much easier time replacing the timing belt and water pump on my Miata than I did with the water pump alone on my jeep.

The downside is that if things go sideways, you're towing it to a garage to get the belt put on.

BTW, the water pump is behind the belt, so if you're doing the pump, the belt is no added labor.

Yeah, reading instructions It seems like I would be able to do about 90% of the job fairly comfortably, but its the 10% thats most worrying; damaging the cranknose getting out the crank seal (plus the fact its a '90 with the shortnose crank issue), and something about shearing the exhaust cam pulley if you accidentally rotate the cams.

And yeah, I know where the water pump is which is why I'm having both done together.

17. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Well-Known Member

I'd like to build up my Bluray collection with some classic films.
    an iPhone integration retrofit for my car
    Weekend trip to Nassau
    a new Macbook Pro (mine is dying I think)
    Possibly some new sofas

18. freeze

freeze New Member

upgrade to a 1080p projector, or save more for the rolex i've been eyeing.

19. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Do you go to UD?
    Yeah, school of engineering.

20. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Yeah, reading instructions It seems like I would be able to do about 90% of the job fairly comfortably, but its the 10% thats most worrying; damaging the cranknose getting out the crank seal (plus the fact its a '90 with the shortnose crank issue), and something about shearing the exhaust cam pulley if you accidentally rotate the cams.

And yeah, I know where the water pump is which is why I'm having both done together.

Oh, it's a '90. I hear ya.