1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

$1500 for a new suit what do I do?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by evergumptious, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

I agree that you should get multiple suits on sale, but why would you advocate Joseph a bank? He didn't say he needs 5 suits for 200 dollars...

2. maximus

maximus Member

Every brand has its own fit (and even within the same brand, different fits) and you have to find your own fit, rather than just a good brand.

Whether it will cost you $1500 or $500, the most important thing is that it fits you well.

I've seen people looking great in $300 suits and others looking awful in Armani or Brioni suits.

Good luck with your search my friend.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

No, they won't be automatics, which cost much more but don't actually add any practicality, and you can get some nice looking and nicely made watches in the quartz category.

Citizen's a good buy, and my nerd side loves the solar powered ones.

They make several different grades. Not everything they make is fused crap- the signature gold is half canvassed, and the signature platinum is fully canvassed.

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

Eco drive is a fine watch on a budget IMO. Maybe a used tissot or a seiko automatic (from japan, not the US stuff)

5. NickPollica

NickPollica Well-Known Member

If you're in NYC I think it would be worth it to check out suit supply MTM for the following reasons:

They offer a very good suit for the money (starts at $899 - semi-canvassed with no fusing, made in Portugal).
    They offer many of the same fabrics as ISAIA MTM (Ariston)
    They have many different styles including one called the Roma which has all the SF approved details such as soft shoulders, wider lapels, high gorge, more open quarters, etc.

6. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Well-Known Member

:rotflmao:

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

How can it be half-canvassed with no fusing? What's the other half that's not canvassed?

8. NickPollica

NickPollica Well-Known Member

Nothing - just canvassed in the chest and lapel with no fusable down the jacket front. I know that brands like boglioli use this construction on some of their higher end things that they want to keep soft. The guys at suit supply said their MTM was the same construction. I haven't taken one apart and didn't do the pull test to be sure so I"m not certain but that's what they said. Either way, I know what factory they're making their stuff with in Portugal and I own a couple jackets hailing from there and I'm very happy with them.

9. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

If you're in New York however, and thinking of going the custom route, why not give Mr.Ned a shot? From the expose recently, $1500 definitely sounds they would be within that price range, and they have received some very good feedback here on the forum.

That's assuming a location however, which I don't think we have.

10. nbutter

nbutter Well-Known Member

+1 to this. solid grey or navy Canali is hard to beat.

Hugo Boss or Zegna won't last as long, since they're not as well made, but if one of them fits you better, buy that.

A Paul Smith London suit if you want a little bit more flash.

You'll look great, feel confident in any situation, and you'll look age-appropriate, too (ie you don't want to wear Paul Stuart!).

Really would NOT do MTM for this. I think it's terrible advice for you.

11. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Well-Known Member

go get your size measured if you are planning on buying off the rack, look at NWT/ NWOT stuff on ebay and then get it tailored. Be careful with NWOT though and make sure that it is actually new. I bet if you look hard enough you can find oxxford level suits at that price.

http://putthison.com/post/1603749186/ebay-searches-for-super-mega-excellent-and-extremely

use this site to your advantage.

I would also stay away from high supers if this is a work suit. try and stay below super 120 if you can. At least 10 oz.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  12. nbutter

nbutter Well-Known Member

really, you should only be buying a suit that you can physically try on, and see that it fits well, with maybe one or two alterations needed (sleeve length, hemming)

you don't have the experience to buy off ebay or deal with MTM and hope it comes out ok, and you don't _have to_, either.

get something that _fits and looks good_.

then 5 years from now you can come back here and learn about Kiton, Martin Greenfield, Rafaele Caruso, etc.

13. Achilles_

Im with ehab, get a charcoal and a navy suit from his website. You can afford both caruso or benjamin.

14. johnvw

johnvw Well-Known Member

It seems that this post should be in a different thread.

15. Achilles_

Just responding to a previous post about how at his budget he can afford two suits and a watch if he wanted too :)