1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

12" Drop Suit Issue

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jarth3000, Dec 29, 2011.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

+1 I've seen some body builders who are like 10+ drops.

2. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I know Jeff can do separates in some of his. Those suits are a good value and seemingly in your price range. Most of his suits are 150s, so stick with the tougher fabrics (sharkskin, birds eye) and get an extra pair of pants with your suits (also an option with Jeff).

They are canvassed and include pick stitching, which are details not readily available in that price range. I have two of Jeff's suits I use in the summer. Look him up on eBay to see what he has, and send him an email to see what he has that can be purchased as separates. Search for "Ahhs" "danielle" or "m. Valentino" on the bay.

3. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Well-Known Member

There's a couple threads on the Wizard's suits. The consensus is that the Baroni/Valentino suits are ok for $300, but you should look for something nicer for your $500 budget. The Baroni/Danielle jacket I examined was (allegedly) half-canvas, Macy's-level fabric, and fairly-padded shoulders. If they'll meet your sizing requirements, maybe an option, but a normal sized person could do MUCH better for $500.

4. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

Buy suit separates.

5. Brian Weeks

Brian Weeks New Member

I took up ocean swimming 17 months ago and have changed proportions and measurements dramatically. I had also been working on losing weight prior to swimming (waited until dropped under 200 to buy a wetsuit). I am now 168 at 6'3" which puts me at the super-middleweight boxing weight limit. I was 265 3-1/2 yrs. ago. in September 2012. Dropping 37 % of body wt. makes a huge difference; I keep a pair of old 44 waist pants for a laugh! Anyway, I swim daily for about 60-90 minutes, both in the waves and beyond in deeper water. So, now I am 30 waist and 42 chest (took the measurements myself yesterday). To top it off, I didn't do any of this until I was 42, now age 46. Feel like I'm a grade-school kid on summer break, endless energy, everything is so effortless that used to be a sweaty, huffing pain-in-the-@$$. Swimming has helped me lose most of the fat and build shoulders, back, quads, everything pretty much! Now it looks like I will have a lot of alterations when I go to get a suit that FITS ME!

No wonder people look at me differently than before; given avg. drop is 6 inches and I am DOUBLE that. I must look like the shape of a narrow inverted isosceles triangle when most others are square to ovoid/round shaped (zero to negative drop as in fat-@$$).

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

7. recentgrad

recentgrad Member

If you're really a 12" drop, I doubt you'll find anything that fits right without going MTM or bespoke, even after alterations. You can't take in more than about 2" on the jacket before it throws off the balance with the pockets. Alternatively, the really slim fit suits may have enough waist suppression, but would be too small in the arms and shoulders, assuming you've got a bodybuilder type physique.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016