1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

12" Drop Suit Issue

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jarth3000, Dec 29, 2011.

1. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Well-Known Member

He wouldn't have to be a pro bodybuilder. I was referring to a competitive bodybuilder, which means someone who competes in amateur competitions. I know a few semi-pro types who are on steroids, and they can obviously go well beyond the 12 inch drop range. As far as Arnold, he obviously had a huge drop, but he was one of the most genetically gifted bodybuilders in the sport's history (who was also chemically enhanced btw).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's essentially what I said. A drop that large would not be abnormal on a competitive bodybuilder. But competitive bodybuilders--dudes who are will to do the training and diet necessary to feel comfortable stripping down to their speedos in front of judges--are not that common.

3. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice that jarth seems to have left the building? He said elsewhere that he is a banker and needs suits to meet with clients. I still have a suspicion that he may be overweight and wears his pants extremely low under his gut. Quite a few men I know do.
    We may never know.

4. jarth3000

jarth3000 Member

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I've tried to reply multiple times and it's saying "being held for moderation." So, I'm going to try to reply without quoting anyone and see if that works.

Anyways, as I had stated in the replies not yet seen, I'm a former college basketball player; as an athlete I trained to have a broad and strong upper body and a strong core, hence the large shoulders/chest and the smaller, proportionately, waist. It is a 48US, and no, this isn't a trolling effort as PatrickBooth seems to think for whatever reason.

Just trying to get it figured out. I realize some of the better MTM are more expensive, but as I stated that's not a possibility right now so I'm just trying to get insight on other possibilities. Thanks for those who've posted constructive feedback!

5. KObalto

Hmm, you must have been born with some pretty broad shoulders as well. Looks like Nicola was right.
    Where are you located?
    Do you have to have suits as opposed to sport jackets and slacks?

6. jarth3000

jarth3000 Member

Yeah, my shoulders are naturally broad. My pops where's a 52 jacket, of course he does have a bit of a rotund mid section nowadays. Nothing I can do about them, sucks for clothing purposes.

I live in Omaha right now and there's nothing that I've found as far as MTM. I have a fantastic tailor, but she can only do so much most of the time. And yes, it's suits only unfortunately. I wish banks would go to business casual, I feel so freaking over dressed most of the time visiting clients.

7. jarth3000

jarth3000 Member

Is that an Aussie in your avy btw?

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Eh? Who said it was common? People were acting like it was impossible, that he had to have made a mistake in claiming a 12" drop. Providing examples just shows that the OP could be correctly measuring himself. It's more than just competitive bodybuilders too, I saw lots of guys who are never going to a meet hit those dimensions. Most every gym probably has a few.

As far as the fatass thing, you've got different body types at 46R+. Most suits are cut for the bulk of the market, which gives you jackets and pants with 40"+ waists. That's, uh, fat. It's tough to find anything cut in an "athletic" style at that size. For the athletes/lifters, if you left some of that mass go, and hit say a 44R, you're just a lot more likely to find stuff that's cut the way you want. The smaller you get, the lower your drop is likely to be, even for fit guys.

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

As I posted earlier, I understand your dilemma. Separates were my staple for years, they allowed me to have a decent fitting suit. Worked well for me during those years, and I was often complimented on how well my suits fit. Good luck.

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I, too have found that 44R suits and sport coats generally tend to be cut to fit a more athletic individual, while 46R tend to be cut for more portly individuals. I measure to a 47 coat and a 35 to 36 pant, depending on the season (spring / summer I tend to lose some weight as I work more on triathlon training rather than just weightlifting and treadmill, which are my exercises in the winter).

I have been able to go with separates with some success. I have had good luck and bad luck with JAB - sometimes the pants portion of the separates work well, other times they don't. Either way, an off-the-rack 46R or 48R jacket needs major surgery to fit me everywhere other than the chest and shoulders. One of the worst I have is a Burberry sport coat I just took to my tailor, which needs 8-10" taken out of the midsection.

I also just recently ordered my first custom suit, and anxiously await the first fitting in a couple weeks and the delivery of the suit in 6 weeks.

Oh, and to the OP - you shouldn't feel overdressed in a suit - it's comforting for a client to see his advisors (including bankers) take their job seriously enough to dress appropriately.

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

UK sizes are the same as US sizes. It is EU sizes which are +10.

12. KObalto

Yes she is, Bran (Irish for raven). Granddaughter of Westminster Herding Class champ Bayshores Flapjack, but I'd love her just as much if she was a mutt. Great dog. :slayer:

13. inq89

inq89 Well-Known Member

OP clearly you are just going to have to post pictures of yourself wearing those measurements to prove your 12" drop ;)

I have a 10" drop due to weightlifting and consider myself relatively small. I can see how 12+" is reasonable for a former college athlete. Also, and this is purely out of curiosity, why assume that he wears his pants too low? I thought hips would be wider, not smaller? Or perhaps my squat butt is larger than usual haha.

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Look at a middle aged guy with a gut sometime. They have a big chest and a big stomach, but tend to wear their pants under their stomach in the front so they often think their "waist" is much smaller than it is.

15. KObalto

I assumed that if he was overweight he was wearing his pants too low. This is obviously not the case with the OP since he replied with his body type. Another one of my boring work stories: one of my guys was bragging about his 36" inch waist when he was very plump, probably about a 48-50 jacket.. Belt around his hips.
    I've observed other similarly built guys doing the same thing. I live in Baltimore and work for a state agency. What can I say? :embar:

16. KObalto

See? We Maryland guys have to live with this shit. :nodding:

17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Man so much hate....

I wouldn't consider myself to be in such great shape (better than the average fatass american...but still)...and I have something like an 8-9 drop (and my chest and shoulders seem to make it so I can't squeeze into the smaller tops). If I were to lose another inch or two off of my waist and start lifting, I could be at 10-12 without a lot of trouble (and without looking like a gymbro). I've just got a big chest and broad shoulders....I see no reason to just believe this guy, although maybe with proper tailoring (and a jacket with a roomier chest) he could step it down a size.

Suit separates is the best option on the low end. Its hard to find nice ones though. I have a friend with a pretty crazy drop who went with the brooks brothers suiting essentials (I think) on a nice sale where he got two suits for a pretty good price. If you buy them in the store, they are pseudo MTM--you get to pick fabric and details (lapels, pocket style, stitching, pant pleats, etc). They take some measurements--its not full MTM (he needed a bit more tailoring afterwards, particularly extra waist suppression) but its enough to get you a jacket that fits perfectly in the shoulders matched with pants that fit perfectly in the waist. If you buy them online, they are just standard separates (pick a jacket and pants size from available stock with standard details) which is kind of a shitty deal.

They aren't the nicest fabrics in the world (120s wool but they blend in a tiny bit of some synthetic stretch stuff) but no worse than the nicer jos a bank stuff and he really does look fantastic in the suits. I can't remember but I think he ended up with 2 suits for under 800 after the extra tailoring (and these weren't the wacky pattern stuff left over come sale time...you can get pure staples)

18. jarth3000

jarth3000 Member

19. cbbuff

cbbuff Well-Known Member

I also am normal sized (5'11, 165#) and wear a 8-10" drop (42 jacket, 32 or 34 waist). Not that weird, just not fat.

You might look at whether Benjamin @ eHaberdasher or Jeff @ wizard if Ahhs (worst name ever) could get you separates that would fit you. They both have a slimmer line (Lucente and Valentino, I believe) that could work in your price range.

I would go with Benjamin if he will do it, his suits are canvassed and 100x better than the JAB stuff.

20. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

I missed this. Are you saying your chest measures more like 46 but because of the shoulders are forced into a 48? If so look for brands with broader shoulders. Try on every brand you can find. If you stick with going up a size then the shoulders will fit but nothing else will.