• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

12" Drop Suit Issue

jarth3000

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum but have browsed for quite some time. I'm getting ready re-establish my suit collection for work and I currently have Jos A Bank suit separates because:

1. I have a 12" drop 48R to 36W

and

2. I took advantage of the 3 for 1 deal prior to finding this forum and realizing how crappy the quality is even though they're priced regularly just as high as others. Stupid.

Anyways, I was originally thinking MTM and I really like the look of the TaT suits, but in another thread I was told not to get one because of my drop/large shoulders. I'm struggling finding something in my price range $500 or less that would work for me. Any suggestions? I realize $500 isn't a ton to spend on a suit, and eventually I'll drop the extra dough when I have it, but right now my wife and I are stocking cash away for a down payment on our second home and we just had our first child which is EXPENSIVE but AWESOME.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

saiyar1

Reaction score
You have quite a drop. MTM would be best. If you're near NYC, my.suit makes a MTM suit starting at $500. The price is only driven by the fabric, but staple colors should be $500.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you are a 12" drop? That's really extreme. What is your build, if you don't mind my asking? Very muscular? Overweight? If the latter, you are probably just wearing your pants too low.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have actually browsed here as you claim then you would know to go to MTM

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can only do MTM at that price range. I'm skeptical that you're a 12" drop, too. That's almost always done for fashion purposes only (e.g., Dior suits). haha

jarth3000

Reaction score
Are you sure you are a 12"? That's really extreme. What is your build, if you don't mind my asking? Very muscular? Overweight? If the latter, you are probably just wearing your pants too low.

I played college basketball and my chest/shoulders are built and I still work out quite a bit and actually normally have a 34" waist, but ever since my son came around I've grown 2" yikes! Many times people try to fit me into a 46R jacket, but because of my shoulders it isn't a possibility, hence the 48R and now a 12" drop.

If you have actually browsed here as you claim then you would know to go to MTM

I have browsed here and as I stated above I was going to go with TaT but was told not to so I'm asking who I should look at.

You have quite a drop. MTM would be best. If you're near NYC, my.suit makes a MTM suit starting at $500. The price is only driven by the fabric, but staple colors should be $500.

Unfortunately I'm in Omaha. Nothing around here, so it'll likely have to be online.

You can only do MTM at that price range. I'm skeptical that you're a 12" drop, too. That's almost always done for fashion purposes only (e.g., Dior suits). haha

See above. It sucks, trust me. Until I found this forum, I always had to pay for outlandish alterations to my shirts to get them to fit right. Now I just do MTM on the shirts and I'm good to go.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior makes high drop suits?

OP the simplest and cheapest thing is to avoid suits and go with odd jackets.

Congo123

Reaction score
Why skeptical? Almost any competitive swimmer in the world is 10 plus inch drop.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you sure you are a 12" drop? That's really extreme. What is your build, if you don't mind my asking? Very muscular? Overweight? If the latter, you are probably just wearing your pants too low.

+1. That's a crazy drop.

Why skeptical?  Almost any competitive swimmer in the world is 10 plus inch drop.

:facepalm: How can you not be skeptical?!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1. I have a 12" drop 48R to 36W

Are you sure you mean a US48 to a [US]36W and you're not confusing a UK48R (which would be more like a US38 or 40)?

I'm only asking because you said you're new and it would be easy to confuse.

jarth3000

Reaction score
As I've stated, even though it took forever to get approved by moderation apparently, I'm a former college basketball player and I've got a large upper body and a small waist in relation. It's just the way I'm built and it's even moreso after training, etc. I'm just looking for some help folks!

Are you sure you mean a US48 to a [US]36W and you're not confusing a UK48R (which would be more like a US38 or 40)?
I'm only asking because you said you're new and it would be easy to confuse.

Yes, I'm a US48, sorry I should've specified that!

Let me refer you to this thread, which might be useful: http://www.styleforum.net/t/253790/first-suit-for-my-bros-wedding/0_20

Why would that be useful? I'm not trolling, this is real. Thanks for the sarcasm though.

Congo123

Reaction score
Not all of us are fat / out of shape Americans. A swimmer was simply an example. Plenty of athletes have drops that make buying OTR difficult.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not particularly large and I have a 10 inch drop, so 12 inches is in the same ballpark really. Anyone who lifts or competes in sports regularly will have the same problem getting suits made for the average man to fit them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads