• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 suit wardrobe

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought about 5 mid weight stuff and then started to go for more seasonal cloth for winter and summer. Mid weight suiting is ok for everything, but perfect for nothing, imo.

rob

Reaction score
I find the mid-weights pretty versatile. I only have a short walk from house to garage and parking lot to office. Once there, it's comfortable. I might lean to adding some summer weight/fabrics since the muggy midwest summers are the thing I dread most. If I after time, I have 20 suite, perhaps half mid-weight, and the rest split between winter and summer weights.

Thanks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like about the really heavy stuff is that you don't really have to wear a coat on some days if you re not traveling around outside very far. Also, they look amazing.

johanm

Reaction score

Mafoofan - I am certainly not wearing a 13oz suit in a hot summer's day. If you read my posts you would have noticed that what I am saying is:
+ Get some fresco / lightweight suits for the high days of summer (3 in my proposed wardrobe of 10)
+ For the other +300 days a year (this is based on living in London) wear a mix of 11-14oz suits

I don't think anyone will swelter in an 11oz suit when it is cloudy and 22c (as it was today, in the middle of August). In fact, swanning around in fresco would look incongruous

Clearly New York has more extreme seasons, and humidity in summer - but that is why I always prefaced my remarks with this being a suitable selection for my type of work and location.

From memory I don't think you followed your own advice and went for 5 x flannel and 5 x fresco

R-O-T

This is exactly my approach and I live in NYC. Most of my suits are made from Harrisons 11-12 oz or Smith Woollens/Lesser 13 oz, but I do have 2 made from Minnis Fresco. I could easily wear the heavier ones year round and do wear them on some hot days. I don't really overheat that much, and just strongly prefer the look and feel of nice worsted cloth. Looks more modern and unfussy to me. Have thought about flannel but not really a fan of the rumpled appearance you get after a while, with creases/shaping falling out.

Also, it's incorrect to say that 11-13 oz worsted invariably looks autumnal. There is a wide range of surface finishes available for worsted cloth - hairy/fuzzy (some twills and hopsacks), tough/hard (sharkskin and other hopsacks), or smooth/light (plain weave).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never experienced a rumpled look with flannel, quite the contrary actually.

OTM

Reaction score

Well, it seems that you have made up your mind already.

It was not my intention to seem determined, would you suggest continuing with navy and charcoal solids for a while longer?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am thinking in terms of very basic. For example, if you were to go on a conservative job interview tomorrow what would you wear? I wouldn't wear anything from what you have listed there.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there? Missed it. Still you need more than one basic, I say charcoal gab or serge for the 2nd interview.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Funthread, I'll bump and play:

Ok, so I have:

Dinner clothes
Navy solid (3p)
Charcoal plaid
Mid-grey bird's eye
Dark grey herringbone (DB)
Dark blue plaid (DB)
Navy check (DB)
Black and white plaid
Khaki linen
Seersucker (DB)

Where should I go from here?

Working off this list...second on the list is a navy solid. Mid-grey birdseye is close enough to solid to work for a second interview. Or just wear the navy again. Not that a charcoal would be a bad idea, but I don't think another solid is absolutely required.

Last edited:

OTM

Reaction score
I want to thank you both for discussing my situation. Patrick, I will definetly look into adding more solids- Unbel, what would you suggest?

Last edited:

OTM

Reaction score

You seem to have no flannel, which to me is an oversight. I'd suggest a mid-grey flannel for you. Or perhaps if you have occasion for a more countrified suit, a brown PoW.

Again, I am sorry for the incomplete information I have provided. In fact, five of my suits are flannel (both grey "solids", the herringbone and blue DBs and the black and white plaid), this is Norway after all!

OTM

Reaction score

How dark is the navy solid? Does it have peak lapels? Do your suit wearing situations allow or something more countrified like a donegal or big windowpane?

I would say my navy is medium dark, it has notch lapels. My situation certainly does, I am becoming more and more certain that is the direction I should take.
Thank you for your enlightening questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads