1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

◕ ‿ ◕ May NPC - Temporary Management; New Rules

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Waterloo 360T

Waterloo 360T Well-Known Member

This is harder than I thought it would be. I totally forgot that we pay our year end bonuses in May.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Just plan carefully what you'll buy during the last days of May. It'll ensure you don't make too many foolish purchases.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Spectacular over here. Nothing purchased and a lot donated already. Many more donations to come yet. Less is more. Hope everyone else is holding up.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I'll try to stick to the rules. :)

5. zzzzap

zzzzap Well-Known Member

I sold my Ervell sweater. WOO. I parted with something from a designer I love because I wasn't wearing it enough and already had it in other colors. Even though I know it's a small step, it feels like a big step.

1 person likes this.
  6. Claghorn

Nicely done, zzzzap

My own report.
    - Very tempted today to pick up a tie from Mountain and Sackett. Resisted.
    [​IMG]

- A linen jacket being made for me has encountered more problems (paid for in full before the start of April NPC). They offered to restart from scratch, which I accepted. They then found out they didn't have enough of the same material, but were getting some new fabric in tomorrow. I go and see the fabric options on Monday; my fear is that the fabric I end up liking will be more expensive than the one I initially chose. If this is the case, I'll hold off on making the selection until the 28th and post pictures of the various options and prices in this thread so that you guys can help me make a wise and unrushed decision.

- Putting together a menswear care package for a friend in need of some ties and pocket squares.

In it are :
    3 Thomas Pink ties
    2 Brooks Brothers ties
    1 Marinella pocket square (olive and burgundy)
    1 linen pocket square
    and I'm thinking of picking up another pocket square for him with cream and blue.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  7. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I slipped and bought a belt ($75). I've lost some weight recently, and my pants kept falling down today. I'm on the tightest hole of my only brown belt, so it wasn't helping. I ended up getting one at BB while the friends and family sale was still going on. I don't suppose this qualifies for the emergency fund?

8. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Why not take your belts to a shoe repair shop and have them shortened? Easy to do and only costs a few bucks. IMO that would
    be easier to justify the emergency funds for.

Congrats by the way on the weight loss. I've been losing weight recently and know the frustration of nothing fitting well all of a sudden. I can't wait to stabilize in a couple months so I can replace/alter stuff.

1 person likes this.
  9. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Beatlegeuse I cannot truthfully say that you don't need these. I don't drool easy. They are gorgeous. The question really is, can you wait until the end of May to purchase them?

11. msulinski

Honestly, it never even occurred to me that I could do that. I have a black belt that is too big also (same as my brown one). I don't really need a black belt at this point (don't wear black shoes very often), so I'll take it to a place at the end of the month.

1 person likes this.
  12. Claghorn

@msulinski: Go get your old belt shortened. Don't wear the new belt and keep the receipt. At the end of the month, decide whether or not you want to keep the new belt. If you don't, exchange it for something you do want (or even better, just return it).

@Beatle: They are indeed gorgeous. And you should hold off until the 28th to buy them. Just think about how much sweeter it'll be. Also, I don't know if Epaulet charges tax, but if it does, it'll be a bit cheaper to order from Unipair (10% VAT deduction plus free shipping). Just suggesting this out of loyalty (they're the only Seoul based Affiliate Vendor).

Members on Probation:
    zzzzap
    msulinski (tbd)

13. msulinski

Its too late. I wore it out of the store because I really did need it to hold my pants up. I'll take a look and see if it has a kink in it yet.

14. Claghorn

If not, water under the bridge. Post a picture of just how badly you needed the belt (how loose it was with the previous belt) to qualify as a good use of the emergency fund. Then you'll be off probation.

15. Beatlegeuse

Just double checked the sizes on those dub monks from Epaulet, and they don't have my size in stock, so I dodged a bullet there :)

@ Claghorn - Epaulet does have no tax and free shipping since I'm out of state, so the price you see is the price you pay. Maybe they will restock these at some point so I can get my size when I'm not in the NPC.

I am intrigued by Unipair tho, I have been following their thread closely. Those women's Carmina jodhpurs would make an excellent gift for the wife.

16. Claghorn

How does Unipair's collection stack up with Epaulet? I've taken the SO once; she vociferously proclaimed that the Carminas were not her style and she just wants some TOMS.

I don't know whether to envy your wife's taste or pity your wallet ^_^

17. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

E seconds sale. Feeling desperate to buy at least a couples of pairs of shoes. Why ae , why this month? The sale ends on 27th May and sizing will run out soon. Help me god to stay strong. If I slip blame god or perhaps ae for having a sale!

18. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

^ I think they have those sales pretty often. I'm sure if you pass this month, there will be another soon.

19. Claghorn

They have them at least three times a year. Stay strong, md. Ideally you'll use this opportunity to figure out which shoes you need and which shoes are being lusted after simply because the opportunity exists.

Seriously, hold off on them. "Desperate" is never a good state of mind from which to make a purchase.

Also, I'm granting CBSings the newly created rank of Enforcer.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. Beatlegeuse

Unfortunately Epaulet discontinued their women's line. They have a few things left in the sale section of their website but that's it - my wife wanted to try a pair of Carmina but there's nothing left in her size unfortunately, so Unipair may be my best bet for that. Oh, and she also has 4 pairs of Tom's, haha.

As far as men's stuff, Epaulet has a ton of Carmina now, they've really been expanding their business with them. They do a ton of MTO styles as well.

Last edited: May 11, 2013