1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

◕ ‿ ◕ July No Purchase Club - Delayed Gratification is the Name of the Game

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Grace period is July 29th at 12:01am to August 3rd at 11:59pm.

If there is an August NPC. We're less than halfway through the month and we're dropping like flies. If we can hold out, I might be uplifted enough to run this thing another month.

If we do go August, it'll be "August NPC--Fall is Coming" in which we carefully plan our fall purchases.

1 person likes this.
  2. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

If anyone saw my Luxire posts, those guys were ordered earlier than NPC. :)

3. jacket

jacket Well-Known Member

I'm down for august. Just got off a huge huge purchase

4. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

I am hoping to join in August. spent way too much this month. Including 2 pairs of Carminas and a navy double breasted jacket by ovadia and sons. 2 belts and pants... and few other things.
    Only thing is I get paid 15th of every month. So I feel it will be a bit easier for me to do or not to do shopping from 15th till 15th . So I am purchase free for a entire income cycle...lol
    **I just got paid on the 15th July and I hope I don't spend a cent until the next pay cycle. And good luck to everyone who is on NPC July. July is a month of sale I know its hard .... and you feel the itch ....

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the whole deciding to get tailored clothes made for me thing helps out a lot. There generally aren't sales for MTM clothing (well, Brooks Brothers has its MTM event but that happens in September and March) and commissioning a piece takes more thought than buying something OTR (thinking about the 2-3 month wait helps). My biggest temptations tend to be the little things (e.g. a new Hober or 3) since they're easier to write off individually yet manage to add up.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Stupid mid year sales... I'm still holding on, on this boat, but I fear soon I'm going to fell off. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  7. mrjester

I think if you buy my shoes, it's still alright. So go ahead and do that.

8. Betelgeuse

Those are gorgeous, but they are (fortunately) [​IMG] not my size. Otherwise they already would have their home in Mexico.

9. mrjester

How's everyone doing?

Someone (asked for anonymity) was rude enough to taunt me with some Fall ties they will be releasing soon and said I was able to purchase now. How rude is that? Pretty rude.

Luckily I don't feel rushed as I'll have an entire season to buy 3-4 of them.

Still looking forward to buying;
    1 Panta Grenadine
    1 Grey HY pant
    1 Taupe linen pant
    1 Saphir Renovateur to fix my shoe. Walking around looking like a cat shit on my toe to interviews. If I fight it, I bet this qualifies for emergency fund.

Something I'm thinking about doing now is buying these:
    http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/news/10003-simpso-cuero1

And converting to a seriously dark burnished green.

[​IMG]

To this color:
    [​IMG]

2nd edit: I know I don't need them. But damn would that be fun. This would be a few months down the road. Just wanted to share it with the NPC for no reason. Like the idea? No? Yeah? Dark green isn't a serious shoe so I figured I wouldn't put it on a serious shoe. Double monks are more casual and playful. Perfect for it. I already have the same double monk but on the Inca last. I'd like to leave that as is, and get the Simpson (better last for me) and color it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

still alive here...spend free

11. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Me too!
    (How much longer?)

12. Betelgeuse

I failed. Went to Aguascalientes and went into a shoe store. I found the same shoes I wanted but they were cheaper... apparently those are more expensive in Mexico City, I saved like $500 pesos.

13. Claghorn

About a week to go. Betel, sorry to see you fall off. This was a tough month for a lot of people it seems.

Excellent job sticking with it mrjester...and those are some damn fine purchases you intend on making.

1 person likes this.
  14. Betelgeuse

Good thing is that I only failed on one item and not in a lot as I will usually do.

1 person likes this.
  15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

So far so good for me. I've had my temptations but I'm trying to stick to my guns and build my wardrobe in a more disciplined fashion. So far it's worked pretty well and I've really been thinking about what I need to get long-term to get to where I want to be.

16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Good to see you holding firm Ianiceman.
    For me, the rest of the year, club or no club. I've been culling my wardrobe as well.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  17. Claghorn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mrjester

Thanks. I REALLY want to do the monk-strap dying now but there's absolutely zero need. And it can wait a few months. I don't even really like green shoes but if it's a seriously dark green, it'd be kind of cool.

19. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I came here to report your ass, but good to see you're taking your licks like a man! Still a bum for breaking the NPC!!!

Chorn, I demand the harshest sanctions be leveled at this rotten egg!

(kidding, love u betel :D)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I'm still doing fine. I plan on being in next month as well.

The only thing I am considering buying during the grace period is a pink or purple casual linen shirt.