1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

◕ ‿ ◕ July No Purchase Club - Delayed Gratification is the Name of the Game

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Thanks amigo!

2. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I suck at this.

Fell off the wagon.

Will try again in August.

3. MRMstl

MRMstl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    These Alfred Sargent for Herring were avialable in Herring's sale at HALF PRICE. Held off long enough that there are no longer any in my size. They cleared them due to the hatchgrain not being as pronounced as they wanted and were remaking them. I actually liked them more with a subtle hatchgrain material. While I'm glad I was able to demonstrate some self control, I think it might have been a mistake...

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Deets? And you can always hop back on by matching your purchase with a donation to charity.
    How badly did you need another black shoe?

5. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of Beckett & Robb suits.

6. Claghorn

Hmmmm, out of curiosity, any reason you couldn't have held off until the end of the month? And you should try to complete the month anyway even if you've already hopped off the wagon.

7. ftw90240

ftw90240 Well-Known Member

I said to myself that June would be a no purchase month. That failed miserably to the tune of 9 new pairs of shoes (4 G&Gs, 1 AS Charltons, 1 Carmina Taylor, 2 Alden Suede Chukkas, and 1 C&J Suede Hallam). With that came several new sport coats, ties, shirts and pants. Once the first purchase was made, the rest fell like dominoes.

So, July is here and I'm actually selling some stuff here and on eBay, and had a nice first time consignment with Spoo. And possibly a return of one or two of the shoes purchased in June, I may actually go into the black for a month.

Only 23 days to go.

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Because I got a boatload of money that I wasn't expecting, and I'm weak and pathetic.

10. Claghorn

Whelp, you should try to make it through to the end of the month!

11. OTM

OTM Well-Known Member

I'm in. I know it is too late, but it is never too late!

12. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

I love how I'm in this club and I will still have spent more at the end of the month than many months before.

Holidays, girlfriends birthday, mom visiting, MTO commissions, etc.

Did you (clag) get to see the lovelies that broke me last month?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I think there's a possibility I might fail this month. Spoo just posted a jacket that I've been wanting for so long and I think he has it available in my size. [​IMG]

14. Claghorn

Those are beautiful. Why weren't you able to wait until the end of the month? I don't recall.

(I initially posted that question with a harsher tone, but I remembered that was a violation from last month...not this month...so no need to be a dick)

And those are seriously gorgeous.

15. mrjester

Thanks, they're gorgeous. They fit perfect too.

Yeah, only one left and it was in my size. Damn near $350 off from Skoak, and 3 vultures surrounding them so I had to act quick. First pair of EGs and I'm not regretting it. I may not pay $1100 or whatever retail may be since it's not within my budget but I definitely would get more for around $700. These were about $600 shipped.

16. mrjester

Ok, I need to know how this happened. How purchasing that many things happened in one month.

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

+1.

18. OTM

OTM Well-Known Member

I'm in. I know it is too late, but it is never too late!

1 person likes this.
  19. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Current temptation - Hober swatch set containing David's new oxford weave silk ties to help me select ties during the next grace period. Will stay strong and simply add it to my guilt free Hober order of diamond weave ties during the grace period and buy during the next grace period (or mid-August if I opt out of NPC for August).

1 person likes this.
  20. ftw90240

ftw90240 Well-Known Member

I actually tried to not purchase anything in May, but that was stupid because by May 2, I'd already spied 2 or 3 coats and suits that I liked, including an awesome MTM SP suit that one of our SF friends in Italy had on B&S. Once that was purchased, holding out in May did not matter anymore.

So I said, OK, in June, I will only sell, and not buy. It started well with me packing up things to send to Spoo. But then he tempted me with some Cifonelli MTM suits and I caved and bought one. Then came the G&G sales. And, I had been wanting the Alden suede unlined chukkas forever and suddenly, several appeared in my size, which is super rare. Then I was selling a suede Carmina cap I had that didn't fit (Rain last) and of course, I needed a replacement, which led to the Hallams (348 last fits me perfectly, how could I resist). Then I decided I needed split toe derbies for everyday wear and instead of getting some EG Dovers or G&G Hove, I got 2 for that price with the Charlton and Taylor. Like most things in life, stuff in my size suddenly became available and I felt compelled to jump on them - especially the G&Gs, which were only $500 each.

And oh, I got a bunch of shirts in June as well, 9 MTM from HK, 3 Kamakura, 3 Ledbury and a bunch of socks and belts too.

But, I'm all good now. I have enough shirts. I have all the shoes I want (well, would have loved an Arran or Burnham in that recent sale). I have a dozen suits and coats I have yet to wear or get back from the tailor. So, seriously, I think I can make it this month. Only 22 days left.