• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

◕ ‿ ◕ 2013 APRIL No Purchase Club

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ten bux.

As to the aforementioned tie, I was supposed to sell the Ben to the kid's mom but I'll just donate it.

I am so weak.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uh oh.

That's right...you know what's comin....only I have to turn in and rest, and I won't be back until Tuesday to deal with this.
I hope, for your sake, that you're sweating up a $300 shirt real good waiting. I'ma give you another 24 hours to stew in your juices.
For now..you take that haul, all of it, and put it in a trash bag or box and you don't get to even look at it until I get back.
Dismissed.

I want each of you to sound off and update us on your progress.
I have been solid strong here, spending not one cent. I took 3 large filled trash bags of clothes to my local friendly thrift stores and donated the lot. Coats, shoes, shirts, pants and jackets, among them, Aquascutum, Zegna, Brooks Brothers, Tod's, Allen Edmonds, Prada, etc., and a bunch of my partners handbags.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Still in. I was smart and paid off a bunch of tailoring expenses at the end of March; the fiitings have assuaged the need to buy.

I think I'll be up for May as well. I recently resisted jrd's tie purge and a sale at Allen Edmonds.

Has FCF checked in of late?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done Orwell.
FCF gas been laying low. Don't know what he's been up to lately.

Private Einstein (Dig) ....I'll ring in later tonight on your treason :)

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an update on the original transgression. I tried on that BB shirt that I bought for someone else back on the first and I just felt it was too large and long for me. I demonstrated its outsizedness once again to the women in the house, specifically pointing out the length of the sleeves and the spread of the shoulders, both of them inches larger than my own and they agreed that it was, indeed, too large and was fit to send along to its originally intended recipient.

Mitigation. That's all I'm saying.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ideas for May NPC.

MoL is taking this May off, and I volunteered to try and run it (and run it a little differently). Hopefully I'll be able to hand it back to him come June and he'll be able to integrate some of the experimental ideas of my May NPC into his normal thing.

I was thinking of having the May NPC run from May 2nd, 11:59PM to May 28, 11:59PM. This gives those of us (myself included) that participated this month to buy the stuff that we need to buy before the may NPC starts.

The new rules I'm thinking of

*All violations of the NPC should be reported, and a dollar for dollar donation should be made to one of the following: Wikipedia Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, Children in Need, and Oxfam (all accept Paypal with no minimum donation). So Digmenow, you'd just make a donation of the amount you spent thrifting to one of those charities, and you'd be square with the NPC.

*Throughout the month, we post all items we were tempted to buy. On the 27th, we reassess our temptation list, determine what it is we really want (eliminating what would have been an impulse buy) and then on the 29th.....we purchase.

I'm hoping FidelCashFlow pops up sometime soon so he can get in on this. Dude has seniority over me.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just an update on the original transgression.
*lalalalalala*
[COLOR=FF00AA]Mitigation. That's all I'm saying.[/COLOR]

Is that right...well....Punishment. That's all I'm saying.

3)
You will clean all the heads in your home.
I want those heads so clean and shiny you can serve salad out of them.

And because you purchased a second haul in one month,
you will not touch that most recent of hauls for the rest of the challenge, and for an additional 2 weeks after its over.
You are not to clean it or even look at it say until May 11th.
I'm doing this for your own benefit. so, in 2 weeks time from now, even you may not be as thrilled
with it as you were when you bought it. The boots were nice enough though.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clag, you run the group for May with my blessing. Get the new thread up now and place the link in your signature.
If I may suggest, make sure the rules are simple to follow for everyone.
A suggestion if I may; be mindful that most SF members are not wealthy, so the 'donate to charity' idea, while being an excellent one, is going to possibly cost a poor gent more than he could afford, and because of their sickness here, they'll reason it out as all the clothes they could buy with that donation money and jump ship.
I tried a complicated rules list once and lost the audience. I'll try to find the link later for you.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It seems like most people are breaking when they find good deals at thrift stores...so the donations to charity only would probably amount to less than 50 bucks (Dig, what was your total?). If they don't make the donation, they don't get to complete the NPC with full honors, though they can still compete via some other penance. So someone who purchases a 30 dollar Drakes they find at a thrift store and donates 30 bucks to the Wikipedia Foundation will be held in the same standing as someone who purchases nothing the entire month. Would this still lead to the same problem, you think?

I'll start the thread later this evening.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand fully your reasoning.
As the NPC is akin to AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) but for clothes, the approach is in that spirit.
Specifically, the addict sees money as opportunity to gain satisfaction. Add to this the thrill of the hunt and it is a dangerous mix for those who lack either experience, discipline or both. With this illness, the afflicted will, all too often, see money as being assignable only to quench their cravings.
If they spend $50 thrifting for example, and are then required to donate $50 to a charity, I fear they will just rather quit the club and use that 'extra $50' to buy more clothes. Murphy's Law comes into play when designing the rules. And don't rely on others to make suggestions..heh...they would rather spend their efforts finding loopholes in your rules ;)

This is somewhat unrelated, but I'll share a story...sort of a 'New Rules' story.

I worked with a younger engineer, real nice guy too.
He had his desk and across from his desk, 2 guest chairs.
Each day, some of the boys from fabrication would come visit him to shoot the s**t, and it would cost this engineer at least an hour a day of his time, just sitting there and yapping with the boys. This was affecting his own production and he was staying late an hour every day just to catch up.
One day, I saw him walking around his office. He was placing something on each of the guest chairs.
I go into his office and see what he's up to.
He had placed, what seemed to be a small symbol on the back of each guest chair.
When I got closer, I saw what this symbol was......

So, I laughed, he laughed, and said, 'that'll keep those clowns out of here!'
So, I laughed harder and longer than he did, and he said, 'that funny?'
I said, 'ofcourse! don't you see?'
He said, 'see what?'
I said, 'look at the symbols on the 2 guest chairs'
He said, 'yeah...and?'
I said, 'now look at the back of your own chair'
He indicated with his finger to the 2 guest chairs, 'no clowns, no clowns' and then indicating to his own chair, he slowly said (catching on), 'so the clown sits here?!'
I almost literally fell on the floor laughing. He started laughing too and quickly removed the symbols, laughing and cursing himself.
Next day, the boys from fabrication were back in their guest chairs, and as I passed his office, our eyes met and he gave me a pleading 'help me' look. We both broke out into laughter, him from his office, and me on my way. Boys from fabrication had no idea as to why. This is a true story.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Just an update on the original transgression. I tried on that BB shirt that I bought for someone else back on the first and I just felt it was too large and long for me. I demonstrated its outsizedness once again to the women in the house, specifically pointing out the length of the sleeves and the spread of the shoulders, both of them inches larger than my own and they agreed that it was, indeed, too large and was fit to send along to its originally intended recipient.

Mitigation. That's all I'm saying.

Nothing will mitigate those ugly boots Digg - wearing them will be punishment enough! :D

I'm still in. One week to go fellas, come on now!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it'll be an experiment. I don't think the good people of NPC are AA level addicts...I could be wrong though. I suppose May might tell.

It's definitely in a different spirit; to extend the comparison, it would be like being substance free for 28 days of the month with the intent on having one weekend of wild binge drinking/smoking/snorting/injecting/loitering/littering/trespassing/busking. I suppose in my mind, NPC is ultimately about self-control. This can be channeled into abstention or into spending wisely (unwise spending being more of a problem then uncontrollable spending around here, it seems). The list of temptations followed by purchases is really to test if the latter is workable. If **** hits the fan (as it did back in October), we'll probably have a good understanding of why.

Still, given how slow the forum has been of late, I wonder (and worry about) how robust recruitment will be.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make it yours Clag. I'll sign up for May, but I don't know about June. I'm starting to get the shakes just thinking about June.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

,,, So Digmenow, you'd just make a donation of the amount you spent thrifting to one of those charities, and you'd be square with the NPC.

(Dig, what was your total?)...

Down to thirteen bucks since the shirt is now going to it's originally intended recipient. A paypal donation in excess of that amount has already been sent to an SF approved cause this week.

Is that right...well....Punishment. That's all I'm saying.

3)
You will clean all the heads in your home.
I want those heads so clean and shiny you can serve salad out of them.

And because you purchased a second haul in one month,
you will not touch that most recent of hauls for the rest of the challenge, and for an additional 2 weeks after its over.
You are not to clean it or even look at it say until May 11th.
I'm doing this for your own benefit. so, in 2 weeks time from now, even you may not be as thrilled
with it as you were when you bought it. The boots were nice enough though.

:censored::cloud::mad::confused:

:lol:

Nothing will mitigate those ugly boots Digg - wearing them will be punishment enough! :D

:embar: :( :plain: :tounge:

They are not ugly. They make my feet look handsome. (Footsome?)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:censored::cloud::mad::confused:

:lol:

They are not ugly. They make my feet look handsome. ([COLOR=FF00AA]Footsome?[/COLOR])

I like Private Footsome even better.....I want those heads cleaned by sundown.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads